Old August 21, 2002, 19:47   #1
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 00:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Custom Races?
Forgive me if this is common knowledge, but ive not seen it layed out and Ive been pseudo-following this project since the first rumors of it started floating about.

Is there a custom race design system like in moo2 in moo3? Something akin to the racial pick system: telepathic, creative, research bonus, whatever?

If so what details on it are out there so far?
wervdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2002, 22:40   #2
wervdon
Prince

I did a search on the official boards and found a link that answered my question, just posting it here in case anyone read this and didnt know the answer and wanted to know:

http://www.orionsector.com/dd-racepicks.shtml
Old August 22, 2002, 09:14   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 07:42
Nice comprehensive list but I suspect it is a bit out of date since Ethos is supposed to be a feature they cut out. Nice to see that they plan to let you customise your own race. I was always fond of a semi-Psilon race with pretty good research but not crippled by low-G restraints.
Old August 22, 2002, 22:16   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:42
Thanks for the link.
Old September 20, 2002, 03:24   #5
Asmodeous
DiploGames
Prince

Local Time: 01:42
Low-G crippling? Since when?

I've found that a Low-G, -20 Spying, -20 Ground combat, Unification, Subterranean, +1 research, +50% pop growth, Large Homeworld race slaps the computer around on Impossible, and slaps most humans around, too.

I don't find any real joy in Creative. You... er... can't lose.

It's just not possible.

Me.
Asmodeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2002, 14:24   #6
wervdon
Prince

I always found low-g to be a no-brainer too. Gravity Generators aren't that hard to get. The other ground combat penalties, don't really matter...if it comes to ground combat against you, you've lost. If you need to take a planet, bombardment works.
Old September 20, 2002, 20:20   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:42
In the long run it does not matter, but with the low number of planets that have low-g, you will take a hit. The thing is that onely the first few planets determine how your future will go, so you can live with the low-g.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2002, 05:39   #8
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

I think low-g is the an eayse pick as well, and I dont bee-line for gravity gens either. Many of the very best planets are HG anyway.
Old September 21, 2002, 17:20   #9
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodeous
Low-G crippling? Since when?

I've found that a Low-G, -20 Spying, -20 Ground combat, Unification, Subterranean, +1 research, +50% pop growth, Large Homeworld race slaps the computer around on Impossible, and slaps most humans around, too.

I don't find any real joy in Creative. You... er... can't lose.

It's just not possible.

Me.
Ok, I let this slide before, but....
I am happy you win with that race, althought Uni is not of much help IMO.
Yes nearly any race can win even on impossible, but to say ceative wins all the time is just crap. Let me even concede you being the best player that ever lived, no one will win all games with creative on impossible with 8 players large map, unless they cheat. I have been beaten with creative on that type of map and I have a pretty fair understanding of the game and have played scores of games on impossible. I can create a race that will almost never lose in that game, but I have seen a big bad Sakkra living next to me jump out with 6-8 systems and show up with unstoppable fleets before turn 200.
I put the remark about creative in the same boat as the crap about winning before turn 150 on impossible levels. I am still waiting for someone to prove it without cheating. Maybe creative was that strong back when it was only 6 picks, but costing 8 picks makes you give up a lot of good stuff. Yes creative is very strong, if you get out to turn 300 or so. I am talking about prewarp games here.
I played every race I found in the old news groups and see no evidence that Uni is worth a thing outside of MP games. Then only because everyone else is likely using it as well.
Old September 21, 2002, 17:33   #10
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

But vmxa, I have posted a sure-fire strategy of winning before turn 150 on impossible, without cheating. Winning befre turn 10, in fact, although hardly as sure-fire

Like it or not, a diplomacy win is just as much a win as an extermination or Antarean one.

But I agree there are games where any race would be put to serious test: starting with sillies and darloks for neighbours, with psilons on "behind" them is a thriller each time, even with a monster race.
Old September 21, 2002, 18:12   #11
vmxa1
Deity

Sorry , I almost mentioned that feat, but figured the post was long enough. I think you know, I mean a standard method.
I just get so tired of people saying that creative is so easy. I have said many times at lower levels it does not matter, but at impossible all bets are off if you play legit. I just flat out do not believe that anyone wins all games at that level with no trickery. Maybe I am wrong. Funny thing is I do not use creative much anymore. Not because it is good or bad, but I just want to try different traits and using 8 does not leave much to work with.
Old September 23, 2002, 17:28   #12
Grumbold
Emperor

Okay, crippled was the wrong word to convey what I meant

I just don't like leading a bunch of puny LG weaklings even if its cost effective
Old September 23, 2002, 18:06   #13
moomin
King

Roleplaying a 4x game? For shame!
Old September 23, 2002, 20:15   #14
Grumbold
Emperor

By day I roleplay being interested in my work too
Old September 23, 2002, 21:38   #15
vmxa1
Deity

That is funny.
Old September 24, 2002, 01:44   #16
wervdon
Prince

Heh, honestly the race I generally picked was:

(-5) Low G
(+6) Telepath
(+6) Subterranean
(+3) +1 Research

Sometimes with Warlord(+4) and -.5 BC (-4) mixed in, if I expect to build enough for the extra command points and experience to outweigh the lost revenue (easily made up with megawealth leaders anyways)

In any case, the most powerful trait is subterranean not creative in my opinion

And Low G, ground combat, and money are the best places to take penalties....research, food, industry, ship attack/defense, and feudal all hurt too much.

The one trait I never take though is omniscient because it takes the fun out of things not needing to explore. I even refuse to hire galactic lore leaders.
Old September 24, 2002, 03:40   #17
vmxa1
Deity

Omni is something I have had to pick up with mutation if the darloks are still alive, otherwise they show at your door without you seeing them coming.
Two deadly picks - Feudal and Uncreaive, very tough to overcome. I like Sub, but I tend to get it by slaving.
Old September 24, 2002, 05:41   #18
moomin
King

Feudal has it's uses. An all out-attack race benefits greatly from it - it's attack from day one. Coupled with omni (to target enemies and strategically place outposts for range) and telepathic it's a very strong trait.

Now cybernetic is the one I can't understand is a plus pick.