Old August 22, 2002, 07:38   #1
Firebird
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 07:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Playing and Winning in teams?
Hi,

I would like if civs could join each other in teams and win as a team. That would be especially interesting in MP.

In BOTF you could win as a team by joining in an alliance. Something similar could be made in civ3. If the teammembers combined got hold of say 75% of the landarea that would be a domination-victory. The other types of victory could also work for teams.

Does anybody know if Firaxis has made any statements about something like this?
Old August 22, 2002, 07:58   #2
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Local Time: 00:44
Hey that's a good idea for example in AoW you got the "Alliance win" option. So should a civ win the game his allies win too automatically. But in Civ when I'm allied to someone and it looks like he might win the game than most of the time everybody immediately cancel the alliance and try to stop him as there can only be one winner. So this option would encourage alliances and team-strategies.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old August 22, 2002, 08:00   #3
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 08:44
Haven't heard anything about it, but it would be nice, if you could do such thing... though, then the alliances should be set in stone, from the beginning of the game...
Old August 22, 2002, 08:02   #4
Firebird
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Haven't heard anything about it, but it would be nice, if you could do such thing... though, then the alliances should be set in stone, from the beginning of the game...
Why?
Old August 22, 2002, 08:11   #5
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Firebird
Why?
Otherwise the two greatest nations might figure, that together they can both win, then they sign the alliance, and then they win the game...

If it's set in stone from the beginning, it's only those in that alliance that can win, they will then also do a lot more from the beginning to help each other, to help both nations to grow. To know that you have an allied for life, you are more happy to help that one (sharing knowledge, luxuries)
Old August 22, 2002, 08:14   #6
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Good idea
Finally a constructive and good idea!
--Woody Allen
Old August 22, 2002, 08:42   #7
Firebird
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

Otherwise the two greatest nations might figure, that together they can both win, then they sign the alliance, and then they win the game...

If it's set in stone from the beginning, it's only those in that alliance that can win, they will then also do a lot more from the beginning to help each other, to help both nations to grow. To know that you have an allied for life, you are more happy to help that one (sharing knowledge, luxuries)
Well, that would be up to your own moral. I wouldn't flick around alliences, but if I found out (like Stalin did) that my ally was about to try and kill me (like Hitler tried), if he wasn't as scerious (or unscerious) as myself in plaing the game or if we didn't have the same plaing style (if he basicly was playng a god guy and I was playing a bad guy) then I would like to have the option to leave the alliance.
Old August 22, 2002, 08:47   #8
Firebird
Warlord

Re: Good idea
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
Finally a constructive and good idea!
Thanks Tiberius!

I always liked teamplay. The need for cooperation adds a hole new dimension to a game. Or an extra level of difficulty if one chooses to stay outside alliances!

Without a team being able to win together, there really isn't much use of the team. Not in the long run at least.
Old August 22, 2002, 09:06   #9
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Well, that would be up to your own moral
I wouldn't do, what I just said up there, but I believe there's a lot of people out there, who'd do it, which I think spoils the game
Old August 22, 2002, 09:22   #10
Firebird
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

I wouldn't do, what I just said up there, but I believe there's a lot of people out there, who'd do it, which I think spoils the game
It would definetly spoil the game, you'r awfully right. But so would that Hitler-action.

I'm afraid the only solution is to make it optional (I love options ) to fix the alliances.
Old August 22, 2002, 09:51   #11
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
It would definetly spoil the game, you'r awfully right. But so would that Hitler-action.

I'm afraid the only solution is to make it optional (I love options ) to fix the alliances.
You're not the only one who loves options

Old August 22, 2002, 10:13   #12
Firebird
Warlord

By the way I could live with them fixed. You just have to be carefull about whom you play whith. But then again I guess thats true in all aspects of life!
Old August 22, 2002, 12:37   #13
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Yeah team victory would be cool. To win a game you will be 'forced' to allie with someone to win/survive, unless you are exceptionally good.

It would be very realistic too.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old August 22, 2002, 21:47   #14
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Local Time: 06:44
Team play's proboly going to be used for the Multiplayer Senarioes, therefore 'fixing' the problems with Britian alling with Italy in a WW2 senario.
Old August 23, 2002, 04:50   #15
Firebird
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkworld Ark
Team play's proboly going to be used for the Multiplayer Senarioes, therefore 'fixing' the problems with Britian alling with Italy in a WW2 senario.
But will the Team be the winner? If only one player can win, then team-playing won't be as fun (to me, at least).
Old August 23, 2002, 10:18   #16
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

If you play as a team the hole team will win not a single player, or else it would not be a team.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old August 26, 2002, 10:06   #17
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 03:14
Maybe for an alliance victory the alliance has to stand for a period of time (20 turns maybe). Also, to break out of an alliance, ever, would be far worse than any other diplomatic reversal (breaking military alliance, MPP, trades, etc.), mayeb even make it impossible to leave an alliance.
Also, when two or more civs form a team alliance, they can have the option of giving it a name.

This way (I think) set teams can be avoided. Instead we have permanent teams that can be created later on, these alliances are permanent (so think carefully), you can win with these alliances. Perhaps a bloc can all work on the same spaceship, their land can be calculated together for domination, if they are all that's left, they win the conquest victory. Also, the bloc can be voted on as a UN leader (eg, the "Europe" bloc will be an option in the vote screen, and all its members will have an individual vote, so if it has 3 members, it can receive three votes, plus any others from independent civs).
Old August 26, 2002, 17:21   #18
Firebird
Warlord

Naming the teams would surely be cool.