Old August 22, 2002, 07:50   #1
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 06:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
MoO Question
I'm new to the game (A friend gave me his copy)

Anyways, I was doing pretty well until my fleet of roughly 200 ships got wiped out by a smaller enemy empire's 50 ships (way more advanced)

The problem here is, its tough to upgrade ships once you have a lot of them, any tips on how to upgrade?

Also, how do we use the money in our planetary reserves?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2002, 11:32   #2
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 00:44
You can't upgrade ships in Moo. If you run out of ship slots you have to scrap a design which eliminates all current ships of that design. Use em or lose em.

In the planets screen there is a transfer option or something like that. You can boost a planets production with cash from the planetary reserve. It can be boosted to a max of double it's normal production.
Old August 23, 2002, 12:57   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:44
Re: MoO Question
Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
Anyways, I was doing pretty well until my fleet of roughly 200 ships got wiped out by a smaller enemy empire's 50 ships (way more advanced)

The problem here is, its tough to upgrade ships once you have a lot of them, any tips on how to upgrade?

Also, how do we use the money in our planetary reserves?
If we are talking about Moo and not Moo2:

I prefer to not make more than 7-10 of a given ship design at any one time. This makes it less painful to scrap them. I make only a few (1-4) in the very early part for the same reason. Were the ship more advanced or were the civs more advanced? The distinction is that if it is the ship, then you could have had as good or better ships. My technic would prevent that if you are not behind by much in tech as the AI rarely has the best designs it could have made.
If this is Moo2 then you can upgrade and should when ever you have made a boost in ship capacity or gotten a significant tech such as new armor or shields or a major weapon. I like to redesign after tech and implement the change if it is worthwhile and my ship are in a colony that can do it with out stopping important task. If if it hurts if conditions warrent it (war is coming my way).
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2002, 13:14   #4
vmxa1
Deity

What a dummy I am, it must be Moo as you can not have hve more than 100 ships in a battle in Moo2.
You did not mention the ship sizes. In Moo is is not hard to have 50 large ships whack 200 large or even huge. They could bust thousands of smalls, I had done is countless times with less than 50.
One way to stay up or catch up in tech is to steal. Always steal from those you are at war with. If you are strong, steal from any that has stuff you want. You need to get to be one of the electors to be in good shape, so if you are not, get more planets.
Do not use missiles in any attack fleet. I only use missiles on planetary defenders. A small ship with one 5 shot missile, perfer it to be mercs. No need for better missile as you want the enemy to back up not get killed.
Tailor the designs to what you are fighting. That means if they are using repulsor beams, you need to have two shot or more range. If they are not using them, I use 1 range beams until I can get HEF. Always have Battle scanners for beam ships. I will forgo ECM or Stabilizers until I can afford them in terms of space for weapons. In fact stabs are not used until I get HEF, don't need them before that. I want them then as I want to be able to reach ships that will flee when it is their turn and bust them before thay can run.
Old January 7, 2003, 04:50   #5
AIL
Warlord

Local Time: 07:44
Re: Re: MoO Question
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I prefer to not make more than 7-10 of a given ship design at any one time. This makes it less painful to scrap them.
Wouldn't that be determined on what Size your ships are or do you always only build the big ones?

As Alkari I once had 800+ of one medium and more than 1000 of one small design.
AIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2003, 18:18   #6
vmxa1
Deity

Re: Re: Re: MoO Question
Quote:
Originally posted by AIL

Wouldn't that be determined on what Size your ships are or do you always only build the big ones?

As Alkari I once had 800+ of one medium and more than 1000 of one small design.
I never make small ships (ok maybe once or twice) and
I only use med ofr my missile boats. I make as many of these as I need to have one at any planet that may come under attack. So I may make 15, but only one will be at any one planet. I use these to drive attackers back, while the bases kill them.
I make large for all other jobs, most of the time. I will try to stay in the 7-10 range, until the game is getting towards the end. I may then create more of a given design, since I will not be scrapping them anyway.
Often I will keep it to less than 7 in the very early going.