Old August 22, 2002, 12:47   #1
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Turnthreads =vs= Turnchats
Hi,

Why are we holding "turnthreads" currently, instead of the Turnchats? It is so much more fun to actually chat while playing along...

I can understand that not all people can make it to the chat, but the turnthread is REALLY boring - only ministers posting orders and such.

Last chat, we had some IRC problems. But Epistax has posted some guidelines to the IRC client - it should be fine if we follow his orders :-)

Oh - and please do not hold the chats in the middle of the night. GMT 22:00 / EST 16:00 includes Europeans and Americans - let's stick to this time...!

BigFurryMonster
Old August 22, 2002, 12:56   #2
GPBurdell
Settler

Local Time: 06:45
It might also be a good idea to clearly post specific starting times for these events along with the dates, as well...

--
GPB
Old August 22, 2002, 13:18   #3
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 01:45
I agree that turnchats are funner, and I hope we can do some more. More people can be involved.
Old August 22, 2002, 14:25   #4
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 00:45
I also found turnchats fun and interesting, and miss them somewhat, but, we need the game to move, and if turnthreads are boring, they also get the game moving, and we remove more 'REVOLUTION' talk from people complaining about the turnchats.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 22, 2002, 14:28   #5
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

I warned you when I ran.

There is no possible way for me to make that chat time except on a weekend. The earliest I would be available is at 1800 EST / 2400 GMT? during the week. We are doing threads because of ease, frankly. I was going to try a chat this Sat, but RL is stepping in, so to keep the game moving I will have to do a thread. Holding ourselves to a set time is not possible as there is no set time that is good for people around the globe. Any time you pick is the middle of the night for some. The 1600 EST time is 2 PM for me. I am at work, as most people on the west coast would be. East coast, that is even pushing it for people who work or have school.

I feel for you, but with MrWIA out for a time, you are going to have to bear with me. I had plans to make chats a possibility with MrWIA, but those are on hold for the moment. I think we can all find a happy medium, just give me some time. I want to create some kind of hybrid system where chats are held purely for the fun, and not for issuing orders except for maybe the unexpected things, but the orders are laid out in a thread.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 22, 2002, 14:59   #6
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

For those of you who want them:

I will be attempting another chat, if I am still in charge: Saturday, August 31. I really don't see being able to do one before that while keeping the game moving, sorry. Perhaps I can try on Wed, the 25? But again, that would need to be at 1800 Est, and would be better for me @ 1900 EST...

Is there someone who would like to be given a temporary executive order to play out a turnchat on Sunday, or Wednsday, at a time that would suit people? I can do a turnthread, but if the people demand chats, this may be the answer.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 22, 2002, 17:32   #7
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 02:45
I would, but sorry, night time grad school - thursday I could do it at 17:30 EST, assuming I can leave work 1/2 hour early and beat rush hour traffic home......

PM or email me......

I just don't think the time would be convenient for many.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old August 22, 2002, 20:46   #8
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Unorthodox I would do that if required, since by then Uber will be back and I will be back to my normal humdrums, or even if he isn't since most decision required on the fly will be of the smc variety. Still I would rather stick to our current system. But if the people demand I could do it.
Aggie
Old August 22, 2002, 23:10   #9
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

One more time...

Actually, chats exclude a lot of people from being involved in the game, period. We lost Sir Ralph, because he simply can't do it.

We really need something like threads for minister orders, at a minimum. If the Pres then wants to play the turns while chatting, that's OK too. However, it shouldn't be mandatory. Although I could understand people voting for someone who committed to playing while chatting, requiring ministers to be there is not a good idea.

So, yes. Chats give some people a chance to be more involved but they actually limit the total number of people who can participate.

My $0.02
Old August 22, 2002, 23:13   #10
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

It doesn't exclude anyone. think about it.

Turnthread: Ministers supply the orders, then the game is played.

Turnchat: Ministers supply the orders. Then the game is played in a chat, with as many ministers as can show.

All you need to do is remember that all ministers should have their orders before you start. Sir Ralph can't make it to the chat. Fine. He orders are already published, the same as the turnthread.
Old August 22, 2002, 23:29   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yes, if the ministers do not need to be there, and it is clear that the president has the authority to make a decision or halt, then good.

What has hung up some candidates for office, is the feeling of being obligated to be at chats that are very inconvenient or impossible to attend.
Old August 22, 2002, 23:57   #12
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

That is why MrWIA and I decided to start working towards a Chat/thread. All orders, whether the minister is there or not, will be posted, the chat part is just for fun. Unfortunately, his computer died, and I just don't have time at present. Those wishing it: Find a time that suits you all that want these, find a substitute I can give exective power for a turn, and you can have your chat. But, no sooner than Sunday for all orders to be in. Let me know, and I will updte the time with a note on who is conducting the chat.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 23, 2002, 00:16   #13
notyoueither
Deity

Great! However...

I don't want to be a... judge or anything, but who was elected to play the turns if neither you nor MWiA are available? Just asking, I'm enjoying some quiet time on the bench to catch up with my snoozing, and wouldn't want it to be disrupted.
Old August 23, 2002, 00:27   #14
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

NYE. Show me where the CoL says that I cannot delegate that power. Show me where it says they are the ONLY ones able to play. I am doing this, if they find the appropriate requirements. Anyone has a problem, they can impeach me. It is an executive decision in the true spirit of the despotism we currently run.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 23, 2002, 01:06   #15
notyoueither
Deity

Hey, I'm not saying don't do it.

I'm just grumbling about my disrupted slumber when the squawk hits the fan.
Old August 23, 2002, 07:28   #16
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:45
Epistax, good idea! We'd only have to make sure the president (or his delegate) can show up in the chat to play the game.
Old August 23, 2002, 07:31   #17
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Fine, NYE. We will poll on it. The wheels of change somtimes move slowly.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 23, 2002, 07:40   #18
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 08:45
hi ,

if we move faster , and we seem to be doing so , more is expalined , yeah why not go for turnthreads

have a nice day