Old August 22, 2002, 13:08   #1
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 07:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Civ3 dies CtP2 grows stronger
I have to just add, i think after the expansion for Civ3 comes out (Play the World) i think the large following that Civ3 now has will relativly quickly die out (give it 8 monthis or so) and Ctp2 will live on maybe become stronger as by that time there will be so much more mods and additions to CtP2 that it will be such an amazing game (it will be THE Call to Power 3)

However this is just my theory

Does anybody else agree with this or have any other opinions

SMIFFGIG
Old August 22, 2002, 14:12   #2
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 01:45
Check the action level on both the CTP2 and civ3 forums for a clearer view of how they compare...

As much as I would like to agree with this statement, it'll never happen, because the built-in audience for cvi3 is much larger. I thought I had heard that CTP2 sold only 35,000-50,000 copies while civ3 had surpassed 1,000,000. PTW will only add to that number.

And for many players, many of the differences do boil down to preferences, so most players will play either one or the other (and have already decided). Currently, I am playing more civ3 than CTP2...(although Pharaoh is even more than both, and I have been playing that game for close to 3 years now).

My assumption is that PTW will have enough additions to the Editor, so the process of Modding (although not as easy as what is in CTP2) will be (somewhat) satisfactory for the civ3 camp. Without SLIC, civ3 Modding will always be inferior to CTP2 Modding, but without an influx of more people capable of SLICing into the CTP2 community, and even more players, that advantage will be wasted.

And most of the malcontents in the civ3 community have moved on, so the loyalists will haapily continue to play civ3 without any thought of alternatives to civ3.

My 2 shekels worth...
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old August 22, 2002, 14:51   #3
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Depends largely on how the multiplayer options turn out for Civ3. If it becomes very successful, it will become a largely MP game, much like Civ:CtP, although its easily customisable, MP is much more active than modding Civ:CtP. Each game eventually finds its main audience, as Civ2 was great for scenarios and now more so for MP. Modding/Mods will always be CtP2's main audience, although it has a perfectly enjoyable MP option.
Old August 22, 2002, 14:54   #4
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

I do agree though, if PTW doesnt impress as expected, theyll be at least a few more people around here, as there already is with Civ3 itself.
Old August 22, 2002, 15:41   #5
ahenobarb
Prince

Local Time: 06:45
I agree with you SMIFFGIG, I burned out on CIV III due to its lack of strategic depth. There are a few interesting things that it has, but these aren't enough to maintain interest.

Some of its ideas were good, but I hold out hope that most of what was good could be implemented through SLIC into CTP2.

The look of Civ III is better (what some people have referred to as its 'fuzzy' look) than CTP2 where the units look a little stiff. However, since CTP2's graphics are 16bit rather than 8 bit, I imagine a modmaker with some graphics programs and a lot of time could do an overhaul.