Old August 25, 2002, 16:30   #31
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 08:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm

What Firaxis said on this board earlier when recruiting for beta testers was the legal aspects were too hard to deal with. By restricting themselves to US testers they can sue someone who leaks the beta version in a friendly court.

Does this mean that there are some issues that won't be found? Of course, so does limiting the test pool to 50-ish testers. However, this is ~50 more beta testers than they had for Civ3 when it came out. We can only hope that it works out.

As far as errors go, working in software for a living, the developers are often aware of what bugs are still in the code when they ship. Is this evil? No, it's reality. There is only so much time and money for fixing bugs. That Firaxis updates their products a year (or 5 in the case of Gettysburg) after they are released is a sign that they care about them. It is not normal for all companies to do this when all it does is cost them money.

Firaxis has said repeatedly, no scripting. I'd be real shocked to see that in PTW out of the box.
hi ,

well since they work with infogrames they could have worked something out , ....and there are international laws aswell , ....

its just a bid sad , because it would have brought more testers from around to globe to fix whatever might be wrong , and it would be intresting because they are going to have so many "local" versions , ....

now all that work on the translations and so shall happen after the release , instead of before , it s a bit like a golden oppurtunity missed , ...

as for the scripting , lets hope that with the "enhanced editor" we can still make something in tha nature , ...

it would be sad not to do so , for the larger group of scenarios uses something like it , ....

it does not need to be like in civ 2 , BUT like the above example of "civ A and B declare war against C , D signs trade embargo with A and E , ......" it would be usefull , ....the way it is now we cant do it , ....

have a nice day
Old August 25, 2002, 16:59   #32
neonext
Warlord

Local Time: 22:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
anytime i hear "Firaxis" and "beta" together, i can't help but roll my eyes

i think most people can agree that civ3 was still in beta stage when it was released upon the public. all publisher issues aside, why should we expect things to be any different this time around? will PTW be another public beta test that we have to pay for?
Old August 25, 2002, 19:12   #33
Dragon's Lord
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Local Time: 00:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
im not too worried yet
im thinking and hoping they have been working on PTW while they put out the 1.29f patch.... "fingers crossed" but still MP will be much loved in my house my kid wants to prove he can beat me at this game and with my 4 puters i can have some fun MP games
Old August 25, 2002, 21:23   #34
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 23:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I have my fingers crossed that MP will be stable and usable but I have deep reservations due to the small size of the beta test group and the short period of time asigned to the beta period.

On the bright side most of the things included in PtW are not new or revolutionary. Many of them simply add new on screen buttons for old hot key combos which were already released during previous patches. This means there shouldn't be that many places we have to worry about bugs due to new changes. MP is the only thing that is truly new in PtW.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.