Old August 23, 2002, 12:56   #1
Captain THC
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How do you trade workers?
Hey all,

How do you trade workers? I hear it's possible, and now I see in the diplomacy screen that the Zulu can trade me one of their workers. I don't understand this though, because I've never seen this before, and I can't trade them any of my workers. Why I'm curious now, though, is that in this game I'm currently playing, the Zulu and myself are allied against the Babylonians, and I just re-captured some Zulu workers. How do I send them back to them? I can't find anything about this in the Civlopedia. I'm a long time player of this game, but I just can't figure this out.

Thanks for reading,

The Captain
Old August 23, 2002, 13:00   #2
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 07:48
You trade workers like techs, gold and cities in the diplomacy screen. If you give your friends their workers you captured earlier back they will like you better.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old August 23, 2002, 13:01   #3
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

The trick is to have the worker(s) in your capital.
Old August 23, 2002, 13:08   #4
Captain THC
Chieftain

Okay, that explains why the option wasn't appearing in the diplomacy screen. Thank you kindly.
Old August 23, 2002, 13:47   #5
Moonsinger
Warlord

Local Time: 00:48
Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack
The trick is to have the worker(s) in your capital.
Yup, that's the key. Only the workers in the capital can be trade. If you want to trade/sell your workers, you must first move them into your capital before they show up in your negotiation screen.
Old August 23, 2002, 14:05   #6
Optimizer
Prince

Will traded workers' nationality change?
Old August 23, 2002, 14:26   #7
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

I don't think so.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old August 23, 2002, 15:46   #8
Moonsinger
Warlord

I'm not sure, but I will keep my eyes on it this time. If I remember correctly, the nationality of the worker will change if you buy it from them; otherwise, it will remain the same. But I could be wrong....need some one to confirm this.
Old August 23, 2002, 15:51   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 02:48
A traded worker retains its nationality. If you're the peaceful type, be aware of this, because if you have slaves from another civ (purchased workers are slaves) they will get pissed at you. In order to get around this, add them to your cities.

Buying workers from the AI early in the game can really boost your power and hamper their growth and development. I have taken to checking every turn to see if I can buy any. They usually cost 25 to 27 gold each.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 23, 2002, 17:01   #10
Fitz
King

Local Time: 22:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is it intentional or a known bug that foriegn nationality workers show up as your nationality in the trade screen? I find it annoying to move slaves from 3 other civs into my capitol and not be able to pick the correct ones out for the nation I am talking to.

Fer example, if I am Germany and have two each of Russian, Japanese and Chinese workers in my capitol, when I talk to China I see 6 Workers (Russian). It makes it impossible to give Chine back their wokers and only their workers.
Old August 23, 2002, 17:04   #11
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Fitz, I agree, that's annoying. It's a bug.

Arrian, I do the same. Tedious, especially if you have contact with several civs, but very powerful at the beginning of the game. Especially if you are industrious.

Be careful when you add foreign workers to your cities, especially when your culture is not that great or when their capital is nearby. Foreign workers become foreign citizens, which means your city could more easily flip...
Old August 23, 2002, 17:35   #12
Moonsinger
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Fitz
Fer example, if I am Germany and have two each of Russian, Japanese and Chinese workers in my capitol, when I talk to China I see 6 Workers (Russian). It makes it impossible to give Chine back their wokers and only their workers.
It is possible to give China back their workers. Just move only chinese workers into your capital before you talk to them.
Old August 23, 2002, 17:56   #13
Fitz
King

Yes yes moonsinger, that's exactly what I do. But it doesn't stop it from being any less annoying, does it?[/overwhelming reasonableness]
Old August 24, 2002, 08:45   #14
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I always move captured and purchased workers into cities ASAP, especially my capital. But then, I really like cosmopolitan cities.

"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 20, 2002, 15:51   #15
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
A traded worker retains its nationality. If you're the peaceful type, be aware of this, because if you have slaves from another civ (purchased workers are slaves) they will get pissed at you. In order to get around this, add them to your cities.

Buying workers from the AI early in the game can really boost your power and hamper their growth and development. I have taken to checking every turn to see if I can buy any. They usually cost 25 to 27 gold each.

-Arrian
So selling captured workers will make their original civ pissed at who you sell it to?
Old September 20, 2002, 16:36   #16
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

realpolitic,

I never actually considered that, but theoretically, yes!

alexman,

I only add purchased workers to my core cities, primarily my capitol. In my last game, I was able to buy 6 workers (2 Zulu, 2 Indian, 1 Chinese, 1 Babylonian). I actually used the Bab worker for a bit, since the city I had building the Colossus really needed help with terrain development. As it turned out, I lost the Colossus in 1125BC (!) to France, but managed to build the Pyramids instead. Though I had long since added the Bab worker to that city, the Babs were the first civ to pick a fight with me. Hammurabi is almost as bad as Bismarck in the ancient age... and he's got better archers. He died, though. Then again, so did all of my neighbors.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 20, 2002, 18:18   #17
cracker
Warlord

Local Time: 23:48
Arrian,

Adding your slaves (captured and purchased workers) into your cities is not your wisest move.

In the earlier parts of the game, the slaves carry their nationality with them and can increase the risk of culture flipping, disorder, and war weariness.

Slaves are free from unit support costs and therefore save you 1/2 gpt for each slave that your keep. Two slaves replace one of your normal workers.

Slaves normally work at 1/2 speed for you, but when you are an industrious civ, your slaves will work at half of your normal speed which is standard speed for most other civs.

If you need the extra pop points in cities it is better to join workers of your nationality into the towns so that you will reduce the per turn costs of supporting your active units. If you are doing a minimally competent job of managing your empire, this worker joining technique will not normally be required until after hospitals+mass transit.

Four stacks of eight to ten slaves per stack should be able to clear almost any reasonanble pollution events in a single turn. If your pollution is worse than this your doing it wrong.

If you are in a game timeframe that is prior to completion of Railroads, I would definately discourage anyone from following the advice you posted about joining slaves back into cities. They have much more value to you on the hoof compared to converted into citizens. The exception to this analysis is if you are rushing specific wonders in newly founded cities, but this is rarely the case.

If you would like some details on making better use of your workers here's two links to articles that cover a number of worker tasking issues:

Forestry Operations on CFC

and

Improving Your Opening Play Sequences
Old September 20, 2002, 19:33   #18
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Respectfully, cracker, I do not think I can fully agree with your analysis. Adding slaves to my cities does not seem to be that bad idea to me and I do it quite often, too. While it is true that they need no gold support, they are slow in getting things done... having lots of them stacked might help, but...

...although they work at half the speed of your own workers, they will match your own citizens' productivity if joined to your cities.

Adding them to your capital makes sense, as that is usually the city building many wonders... unless you are lucky and get a fine starting location, it may take quite a while to grow your capital from, say, 7 to 12 - and you need to focus on food/growth, instead of shields/production, hindering your building activities...

OTOH, adding a slave gives you +1 pop instantly. And it makes as much food, money, and shields as your own citizens do. You are correct about the higher risk of war weariness, but unless you add too many of them, that will not be a problem, especially under monarchy, which is the government favoured by warmongers (that are most affected by WW).

Adding slaves to your slowly growing cities also makes sense. If the city food surplus is just +1, it takes quite some while to fill the food box... even if there is grassland enough to feed extra population... you add a slave and you immediately get one more tile worked, which is especially useful in areas with shielded grasslands (2 food, potentially 2 shields).

And even better... ex-slave citizens get assimilated, so this unwanted side effect fades off with time... ex-slave citizens will not piss your enemies off, either...

I do not think it is possible to say "it is better to keep your slaves as slaves" or "it is better to change your slaves into citizens". It depends on lots of factors... and I will often value two more shields and some gold (which I can spend supporting my own, twice as fast worker) that their free-of-charge, not-very-fast slave labour. Basically, the cost is 1/2 gold for twice the worker speed. Speed is more important than gold for me. I would have to have huge armies of slave workers to actually feel any real difference in my treasury...
Old September 20, 2002, 19:42   #19
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
In the early game, you are typically in despotism, gold income is not an issue, your need for city growth is high, your need for worker productivity is high, culture is trivial for all, and your cities are not particularly close to another civ's Palace.

Your reputation and the AI civs' attitudes, however, can be important from initial contact on.

Thus, warweariness is a non-issue, cost is a minimal issue, city growth is enhanced, productivity is enhanced, and the danger of CF is absolutely minimal to none. BUT, you maintain good relations.

[Note: I'm not sure if Arrian made it clear, but this is primarily to be used in your core cities, not any of the newly-founded, and certainly not at the front. And also, obviously, you spread the joined slaves around.]

I think it's a brilliant strat early in the game (thus also providing for assimilation)... your thoughts, however, cracker, are right on target as the game goes on. I'd probably stop using this strat, in this particular way, before the end of the Ancient era.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 20, 2002, 20:35   #20
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I agree with vondrack. Cracker, glad to see you posting have you updated you thread about the terran on CFC? I guess I will jump over and see.
Old September 20, 2002, 22:50   #21
nationalist
Warlord

I tried to trade workers that were in my capital, but the trade workers option didn't appear on the diplomatic scene. We were at peace and were connected with viable trade routes. Anyone have any guess as to why?
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old September 21, 2002, 01:13   #22
cracker
Warlord

Vondrack, Arrian, and Vmxa1,

You'll have to do the math to show me that there is a net adavantage to joining the slaves into cities in the early game. All my tests so far show that this is a bad idea in most cases.

In my games, I am usually happiness limited more than pop point limited in my core cities. Emperor with three or four luxuries and a temple in Monarchy does not usually push my cities high enough on the happy scale to warrant external pop delivery.

I am usually trying to balance things and pull out pop points right at the 6 level because these citizens are the cheapest in terms of food growth and this maximizes the net population of the empire. I know you guys have been chatting up the early use of the luxury slider as well, but I still don't see mathematical support for what you are doing versus other strategies that expand the luxury support structure more quickly and more effectively.

I am not saying that doing this slave insertion in one particular city to pursue a specific strategy may not be a good idea. That all depends on the wonder, the difficulty, the map, and the civ.

Most players should not take your slave conversion to citizens as a good idea until they get their worker tasking bumped up to a higher level by at least two notches.

And Yes, the stratgy articles have been updated to include forestry from the dawn of time.
Old September 21, 2002, 15:47   #23
vmxa1
Deity

Cracker, I must have missed it (that is quite possible), but I do not advocate adding workers early in the game (to cities). I add them in on rare cases. I tend to use them until RR is done, then disband them in frontier cities for the small amount of shields. None of this is for any advantage, just to get them out of my way. That presumes I have enough of my own workers to handle pollution as it ocurrs and any RR for newly aquired cities. Last game I haf a huge island fully developed and about 10 workers to handle any pollution. On anther land mass I was at war with USA and raze a few cities and have about 40 workers. I did not need all of them so I disband some. I had no captued workers on the island as I had eliminate the only civ at turn about 20.
I read the new stuff and it is super a very fine job.
Old September 21, 2002, 16:03   #24
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

heres a biggie... can humans trade workers in PTW? I dont see whynot unless programmers specifically forbids this. And I think it either should be balanced or banned because of all sorts of problem.

1. There is no down side. Human player will not get mad because he sold you his worker. Maybe if you stole some during war, but generally the attitude effect of having slaves does not work agst humans.

2. This is part reason 1 + 3. You can swap workers. This creates "support free" workers. Say build me fifty workers and I'll trade you my fifty kinda thing.

3. The already god like industrious factor will be even more godly. think about what happens when 2 is applied. SUPPORT FREE REGULAR SPEED WORKERS!
Old September 21, 2002, 21:54   #25
bbaws
Warlord

Local Time: 06:48
To trade workers with another Civ you have to fulfill two conditions
1 you need to have workers in your capital
2 you and the civ you are trying to trade with have to both have a city on the same continent.
Anyone ekse notice that cracker didn't have the answer to the question and just started spewing nonsense? As has been pointed out before: ignorance is only a position of strength when it is combined with humility.
Old September 21, 2002, 23:15   #26
cracker
Warlord

vmxa1,

Sorry if I misunderstood you. Era timing changes the interpretation of what you do.

One thing you might do in the future on the assualts way off on a thrid continent is use the worker teleportation device instead of just disbanding teh workers. You can capture another city on that foreign continent and then move all the workers into the town before contacting one of your vassal states and gifting the town to your vassal. ANy of your units in the town will automatically be transported directly back to you capital for free. If you have forty capture workers from the first severla cities that you razed then they all get a free ride home via "transported room number 3". They you can do something more useful with them. 8 to 10 slaves stacked on standby is all that you need to clear a pollutedsquare in one turn in the late industrial age.
Old September 22, 2002, 01:12   #27
vmxa1
Deity

No problem. I did not use that for two reason
1- did not want the units as I had my standby crew for pollution on the homeland
2- did not want not give them any towns
But that is a device that can be used.
Old September 22, 2002, 11:32   #28
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cracker
Vondrack, Arrian, and Vmxa1,

You'll have to do the math to show me that there is a net advantage to joining the slaves into cities in the early game. All my tests so far show that this is a bad idea in most cases.
OK, I will try it... never did before, so I might end up being surprised myself, but anyway...

Let's distinguish between these two issues (they are basically about two different things):

EDIT: to clarify the terminology used... a "worker" is a worker of your nationality, while a "slave" is a worker of a different nationality. EDIT #2: A "citizen" is an inhabitant of a city assigned to work a certain tile in the city radius.

a) is it better to use slaves or workers? - we have a slave and a worker and we want to keep just one of them, joining the other to a city.

b) is it better to let slaves work or join cities? - we have a slave and we try to find out whether it is better to let him do some terrain improvements or join him to a city of ours.

As for a): I have already mentioned that in my previous post... this is a very simple equation. For 1 gpt (it's 1 gpt, not 1/2 gpt as mentioned earlier in this thread), you get a worker working twice as fast (and not pissing your enemies off). Considering the timing (ancient, medieval) and the fact that people are seldom running into cash related problems under despotism and monarchy, the savings are IMHO not worth the dramatic decrease in the worker productivity, unless you have, say, 20+ slaves.

Roads that are built faster (by the workers) bring in extra gold earlier, compensating (even if a very) small fraction of the extra cost. Also, you may very well have less than maximum free units - 4 per town/city under despotism, 2(per town)/4(per city) under monarchy - in which case your worker costs you nothing either.

As for b): this is what I consider tricky and mostly a case-by-case issue (but definitely nothing that could be generally considered bad or good strategy). If you add a slave to a city that has no unhappiness problem (yes, that is an important prerequisite - the lower the difficulty level, the more viable this approach is) and you are able to assign it to a tile in such a way that you get at least one more uncorrupted shield of production, it will take only 10 turns before you "save" the shields needed to build your own worker. Within the next 10 turns, your worker will be able to do as much as the slave would in 20 turns. So, after 20 turns, you end up with a worker (instead of a slave) and exactly the same job done. From that moment on, "a)" applies in full.

Your other option is to set the slave on mining a tile that will get a production bonus with a mine. It will take him 24 turns to build the mine. But that's more than the 20 turns you needed to join the slave into a city, build your own worker and then the mine (see in the previous paragraph)! Not mentioning the fact that you ended up with a worker, while here, you end up with a slave...

For industrious civs, the math is a bit different, since it will take the slave only 12 turns to build the mine. But unless you mine a hill under monarchy (mine a hill = +2 shields), you will still not do as well as in the "join" scenario, neglecting the fact that you will also need none of the extra shields to be wasted.

As with everything, the key word is balance. Of course, it is not possible to use this approach on every single slave, especially if you get loads of them. If you do, then by all means, let them do some slow work and be happy. But if you get just a couple of them (or, for the first few of them), you should look for a city that could benefit from an instant +1 pop boost.

Reading this after myself, I realize that there is an "ideal situation" for this convert-a-slave-into-a-worker approach. You need a city with a "happiness reserve" and an unworked tile generating at least two food (to minimize the effect on the population growth) and one unwasted shield (to meet the conditions I used in my "maths"). These are shielded grasslands, anything with a cattle, forests with game, and plains with wheat. Applies fully for early stages of the game only (later on, who cares... ).

I have to admit that I am not 100% sure, if you can "build a slave", that is, what happens if you join the slave to a city and immediately build a worker... can someone tell me? I believe the worker will not retain the nationality of the slave, but... does anyone know for sure?

Last edited by vondrack; September 22, 2002 at 16:25.
Old September 22, 2002, 12:34   #29
cracker
Warlord

I definately agree that we need to reinforce the terminology issues whenever possible to help foster a cleare understanding of the issues and to avoid confusion. Workers, Slaves, Citizens, and if the Industrious trait is considered all seem to be improtant terms.

I have experimented with the "ethnic cleansing" by joining slaves to towns and then trying to extract cleansed workers or cleansed settlers and this process is not clear cut.

The slave joined to a town creates a citizen of the foreign nationality. When a worker of settler is produced that consumes this citizen then the new worker or settler inherits the nationality and could be considered a slave.

I have not tested ever possible permutation but the join and build out cycle of events definately does not make a slave instantly into a highly productive worker.

I have not tested how the Civ3 engine determines what citizen of what nationality gets turned into the next worker. I also have not tested a number of examples where a settler gets created from one citizen that is your nationality plus one foreign citizen.

There is a bug that we have detected and discussed on CFC and we think it is realted to any time you build a worker from a city that contains a population of mixed nationalities. In the case you get the "floating worker nationality" bug where some of the workers of your nationality get their identity partially swapped with slaves and can be hard to locate using the military advisor units listing.

I also do not have the "pissed off" factor accurately quantified. I have a test game currently going on Deity level where I have two greek slaves that I purchased directly and two greek slaves liberated from Aztecs and yet Alexander is still alive and blissfully polite to me. I have an embassy and ROP with Alex but not military alliance history and we were not at war with Monty at the same time.

For captured slaves, the other civ always hates me for ever anyway because because I killed their military and captured towns, so a little extra anger for keeping their citizens alive as slaves doesn't seem to hold a great risk.