Old August 23, 2002, 20:00   #1
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 01:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Area 25
Area 25 does not exist.

This thread does not exist.

Area 25 was allegedly created after a banana shaped craft crashed into the mountains near where Geofront would soon be founded. Area 25 was built to house this craft and take technology from it. This is where banana velcro came from. Area 25 then became the main place where research is done.

Area 25 is neither a political party nor a govenment organization. It was thought to be created by the former President Ninot through a document known as MJ-12 that had his signature on it. That signature has since been proven to be a forgery.

Like The War Academy and The Machiavelli Institute, Area 25 is for discussion. This discussion includes anything relating to technology and research. The discussion will mostly focus on the best avenue of research, forming tech plans to develop our civilization. Unlike those other organizations, decisions can be made in Area 25. The goal is just to make sure that Apolytonia is following the best possible plan for research. Any constructive input is welcome.

Staff (based on people who have posted in Area 25 threads):
Apocalypse
Shiber
adaMada
Aggie
MrWhereItsAt
Donal Graeme
GodKing
Sheik
GePap
UberKruX
Spiffor
Epistax
Aro
Sir Ralph
Togas
Reddawg
panag
GPBurdell
sc369
jdd2007
trickey
civman2000
skywalker
Vlad Antlerkov
GoodFella
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Last edited by Apocalypse; August 25, 2002 at 00:21.
Old August 23, 2002, 20:16   #2
Reddawg
Prince

This post doesn't exist either.

Wait... what post? What am I talking about... and um, who am I?

WHO ARE YOU?!
Old August 23, 2002, 20:26   #3
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 02:49
a man walks in, hidden beneath a cloak. uses the jedi mind trick to pull a banana shaped device to him. he grasps the thing and signs his name. then ... he is gone ...
Old August 23, 2002, 20:49   #4
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

can i join?
Old August 23, 2002, 20:52   #5
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

20:46:08 [Apocalypse] Post in my Area 25 thread. Just say something random like jd did.

moo

Hey I actually became a member of a group! Must be a clerical error.
Old August 23, 2002, 20:55   #6
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by trickey
can i join?
Of course. Just put on this suit, which will be the last one you ever wear, again.

Epi...
20:53:02 [Epistax] hey i'm 26 posts away from 500

I just suggested a place where trickey could post. It had nothing to do with spam.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old August 24, 2002, 07:05   #7
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:49
I suggest that the minister of science will also be the head of Area 25 as administrations change so that Area 25 will always be the forum where decisions will be made (unlike the other discussion groups which only discuss matters but don't have any formal power).
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 24, 2002, 09:11   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 18:49
* MrWhereItsAt (who is still missing - see the Gazette for further details) has sent his brother, MrHereIAm, to address the Area 25 council

* MrHereIAm takes the floor

Greetings all. In the event of my brother's disappearance, he authorised me to start this conference.

The people have expressed resoundingly a wish to continue the war to America after Jean is forced to her knees After this the future of the nation is up in the air, although it is widely known that future Wars of Necessity will be, er, necessary.

Military technicians inform me through Minister Apocalypse here that Our Swordsmen could be mounted on Horses to give an even greater edge in combat. This technology is not yet perfected, but is not beyond the reach of the near future. A second interesting military project deals with the substance mentioned in some travellers' reports - that substance that explodes and makes fire. The properties of this unnamed material are as yet only known through hearsay and wild rumour, but I have been informed that a small sample was sent to President MrWhereItsAt, and a small number witnessed the explosive power of it firsthand.

It is clear that both technologies are highly important, but with the state of the treasury only one can be researched at a time. The debate shall begin: which is more important: the placement of Swordsmen on Horses that can be achieved within a limited timeframe, or the research into this rare explosive substance, that requires us to also locate a source. I thank you, distinguished members of Area 25.

* MrHereIAm yields the floor

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 24, 2002, 09:14   #9
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:49
I'm in. In what? In nothing.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old August 24, 2002, 09:15   #10
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
I suggest that the minister of science will also be the head of Area 25 as administrations change so that Area 25 will always be the forum where decisions will be made (unlike the other discussion groups which only discuss matters but don't have any formal power).
I have no problem with the Minister of Science being the head because when the time comes where I can't be Science Minister it will be because I have no time for it. That won't be until November/December term though.
Old August 24, 2002, 17:16   #11
Kuciwalker
Deity

What the heck. I'll join.
Old August 24, 2002, 18:52   #12
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Good idea for an organization (it seems like we've got one for practically everything else, so why not science as well? )

My sig's starting to get long, though, lol.

Edit: One question. Though there's clearly no 'rules' about what's under what organization, Apoc, do you think tech trades should be under the Machiavelli Institute, under the Area, or under both?

-- adaMada
Old August 24, 2002, 19:03   #13
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

If it's a techwhoring plan it can also be under the Adam Smith Foundation. Whoa... this is starting to get confusing...
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 24, 2002, 19:07   #14
Apocalypse
Emperor

Trades can be discussed but really only when talking about plans.

For example, buying (or trading for) Monotheism to speed up Project Lain or Protocol Eiri. Another example would be trading for Engineering to speed along the Gunpowder rush.
Old August 24, 2002, 19:19   #15
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Ok...

I'm wondering if the purpose of some organizations shouldn't be refined a bit. I mean, if you've got a Tech trade to do, then it could be discussed under the banner of the Institute, the Foundation, or the Area. (Spooky names sound good, don't they ). Anyway, this is all OT, so... Apoc, good idea for an organization, and I'm proud to be a part of it.

-- adaMada
Old August 24, 2002, 19:32   #16
Apocalypse
Emperor

Tech trades wouldn't be discussed here too often. I may just go to other organizations' thread anyway. I may also just consult with other ministers directly. The area will mainly just be used to hammer out the best research plan.
Old August 24, 2002, 20:11   #17
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

/me waves hands frantically in the air much like Test did some weeks ago escaping the pro-Americans

Hello? Is this thread for discussion, as I hoped to start with my above post, or for spam?

You wouldn't want me to conduct a mass debate all by myself.

Old August 24, 2002, 20:14   #18
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
* MrWhereItsAt waves hands frantically in the air much like Test did some weeks ago escaping the pro-Americans

Hello? Is this thread for discussion, as I hoped to start with my above post, or for spam?

You wouldn't want me to conduct a mass debate all by myself.
We have the other Area 25 thread for that discussion right now. I wrote a list of 17 questions I'd like answered yet only one of them is answered so far.
Old August 24, 2002, 20:21   #19
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Other thread? Haven't heard of that or seen it anywhere. I'll go look for it.

Old August 24, 2002, 20:29   #20
Apocalypse
Emperor

You posted in it
Old August 24, 2002, 20:30   #21
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 00:49
I'd like to join.

Remember, you never saw me. In fact, neither of us really exist (we're both DLs ).
Old August 24, 2002, 20:36   #22
jdd2007
NationStates
King

*Cloaked man does a flip and pulls out two long, glowing curved objects*

we neeeeed chivalry or the dark side of the banana will triumph
Old August 24, 2002, 22:59   #23
GoodFella
Warlord

Local Time: 06:49
Tell the truth to me, there really was a top secret Banana autopsy outside of the Geofront city limits, wasn't there! You can't hide the truth forever!
Old August 25, 2002, 00:22   #24
Apocalypse
Emperor

No comment.

Anyone else notice how close the Bavarian Illuminati is to Area 25 yet? That was totally unintentional.
Old August 30, 2002, 00:51   #25
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Tech Trade Report
Gentlemen,

I have spent an extensive time attempting to work out trades with our neighbors for technology. The following is the situation as of 210 BC.

We are 17 turns away from Feudalism, but 40 turns away from anything else (which is the max).

The cost to buy Feudalism or Monotheism (class 1) is our World Map, all our money (371) and 14gpt.

The cost to buy Monarchy or Republic (class 2) is our World Map, all our money (371) and 6 gpt.

We can, alternately, get into another war and see the costs shift as such:
Ally with Greece against England:
Class 1 = 235
Class 2 = 72

Ally with England against Greece
Class 1 = Free. Throw in a Class 2 and total cost = 320, 5 gpt, WM.

No alliance with Aztecs against Germany is possible to discuss at this time as we have no embassy in Tenochtitian.

France will give us peace and a Class 1 tech for 335. NOTE: France does not have a Class 2 tech.

Conclusion
Buying from France is not a bad option considering that all the others nations are extorting us. The price may even go down as we press our advantage further. I would prefer to see us aquire a government tech (Class 2), but it seems the only possible means to that end would be to sign a military alliance with Greece against England and then pay them 72 for a government.

We need to employ actual research facilities NOW as tech is now virtually impossible to buy. Stealing tech would cost us just over 1000. The only other method we have of getting tech is pressing forward with wars but we will soon be at a loss to enemies who field knights if we cannot quickly climb the ladder to Chivalry.

We need to decide if declaring another war (England?) is worth the decrease in price for a government. Germany and Persia may offer us a discount on a government as well at the peace table but we first have to do some damage and then get them to talk. Currently they aren't talking.

I have pressed the City Planner to build a harbor. By the time it is ready we should have more resources linked. We need to secure the wines of Marseilles, capture the dyes of Munich, and capture the incense of Chicago. We can trade these luxuries for tech to any other nation with a harbor.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old August 30, 2002, 01:39   #26
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:49
Re: Tech Trade Report
Quote:
Originally posted by Togas

We need to employ actual research facilities NOW as tech is now virtually impossible to buy.
I don't know how we can manage this, but it's a fact: without techs, we have no future.

Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
I have pressed the City Planner to build a harbor. By the time it is ready we should have more resources linked. We need to secure the wines of Marseilles, capture the dyes of Munich, and capture the incense of Chicago. We can trade these luxuries for tech to any other nation with a harbor.
Btw, the Romans have a harbor in Pompeii, and we are building one in Tassagrad.
Old August 30, 2002, 10:33   #27
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Re: Re: Tech Trade Report
Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
Btw, the Romans have a harbor in Pompeii, and we are building one in Tassagrad.
I asked him to build it last week and was glad to see construction begin this past turnthread.

But I'm curious ... how do you know that the Romans have a harbor in Pompeii?

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old August 30, 2002, 10:41   #28
Shiber
Emperor

There's a little harbor icon next to Pompeii.
Cities with harbors or airports get an icon immediately after its built (meaning you don't have to update your map to know that there's a harbor in Pompeii).
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 30, 2002, 12:02   #29
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:49
And this means trade...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	pompeii.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	23251  
Old August 30, 2002, 12:07   #30
Togas
Emperor

After Shiber mentioned it I went back and checked the entire map and was dissapointed to see that the Romans are the only ones who have built a harbor (so far). They haven't yet linked it to the capitol, but let's hope they do soon.

Our harbor will be ready in 15 turns minus adjustment for Tassagrad's growth next turn.

--Togas