Old August 23, 2002, 20:23   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 02:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
1st spotless perfectionist win on deity
Ive finally managed to win deity playing the way i like to on lower levels

Peaceful - spotless reputation
Monarchy to Republic to Demo - never going commie or fundie.
small civ - only 11 cities on a large map till 1960's when the defensive wars start getting frequent, and i start buying cities to get ceasefire.
perfectionist every one of core cities gets just about every improvement (except for obvious exceptions, like no happy improves in the Shakespeare's city)

And i did all this on a random map, where in the past i had only beaten a random map on deity using ICS.

Going back to emperor and playing several games this style on random maps helped.

IS it true that a more aggressive style is in fact harder than this?? Im thinking the logical next step is to play MP, but i suspect I'll get my butt whacked if I dont practice more aggressive wins against the AI. Or maybe it'll get whacked anyway, seeing as how much harder MP is supposed to be than the AI, even on deity.

LOTM
Old August 25, 2002, 02:20   #2
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 01:49
MP is a totally different beast. Imagine you're just cruising along happy happy happy, and in one turn six ships appear off the coast of your capital, and start unloading vet crusaders and he attacks with them the same turn. The AI never does that Say goodnight cap, game over for all pratical purposes.

RAH
Old August 30, 2002, 14:24   #3
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 00:49
LOTM, if you would like some lessons, i would be more than happy to oblige you

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old August 30, 2002, 15:03   #4
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

I've never played MP, and probably never will, but I can tell you this, you haven't a prayer of a peaceful AC victory

For SP: On large or giga maps, I find that an AC win is easiest. On small and most medium maps, conquest is easiest. By easiest, I mean, can be accomplished in the least time.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old August 30, 2002, 17:22   #5
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 06:49
Very well done LOTM - it's great to get there the way YOU like...

For me - the game you have played is MUCH harder than the one I love - 'Clads and Crooks riding roughshod over the universe - but then you might find my approach hard - such is the beauty of this game....

The SGs just started the second
Old September 3, 2002, 10:36   #6
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Re: 1st spotless perfectionist win on deity
Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

Peaceful - spotless reputation
It is possible to be the most warlike civ in history and remain spotless. I've always thought that was a good handicap to place on yourself. Must remain spotless. It makes for some real interesting situations. (Not that it's hard to bait them to war) but it does slow you down.

RAH
Old September 4, 2002, 11:35   #7
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 08:49
LOTM, you should try OCC! You bought cities in your game? You took cities in a defensive war? Now play perfectionnist with ONE city. I strongly suggest keeping good reputation and good relations with everyone (or at the very least your neighbours). Once you know a dip or camel defends your only city perfectly against barbs, you can start playing.