Old August 24, 2002, 19:34   #1
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 01:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Thinker's Guild: When should we have our golden age?
There's been a lot of discussion about the right time to have our Golden Age. So far, there have been no definite conclusions. I put this under the banner of the Thinkers Guild as all other institutions serve a specific purpose -- analyzing war, diplomacy, economy -- but none analyze all the affects in all of those fields. As such, this discussion is best placed under the Thinker's Guild.

So far, there are three general ideas that I will put up to start the discussion. First, we could wait until the very end of the French war, and use War Chariots once and then try to end the war. Alternatively, if we plan to attack America, we could incorporate our use of War Chariots into that. This would give us a Golden Age at a time when we are ready to start building up our economy, and could build ourselves up a lot faster with the benefits. This has the downside, however, of meaning that we will not enjoy the full affects that we could get if we waited.

Secondly, we could wait until we've built our economy up, and then try to trigger it then. This way, we'd get more benefit, but we may be far behind the other nations before our economy has been built up.

Finally, we could delay as long as possible, and try to get into the Industrial or Modern Age before we set it off in pursuit of some wonder. This way, we'd have the absolutely maximum benefits, and it might help spur us towards a victory, but that is far in the future, and if we fall behind now, it may do us no good then.

I now turn this discussion to the citizens of Apolytonia and the scholars of the Thinkers Guild.

-- adaMada

Relevant Links: (Post if there are any to be added, and they will be edited in)
War Academy: War Chariots and our Golden Age
Old August 24, 2002, 19:47   #2
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I'd rather have it at the end of the French war than at the end of the next American war. They we could use some of its war bonuses and at the same time build up our economy.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old August 24, 2002, 20:11   #3
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:51
The one thing we don't want is to be building workers and settlers during our GA.

Most of our cities are still too small to show any real gain from it.

BTW are we using 1.29 yet? If so we can build WCs any time we want.
Old August 24, 2002, 20:40   #4
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

No, we stayed at 1.21f so that any international users would be able to stay with us... That could change, though, someone did a poll and there were very very few who couldn't, and (IIRC) no one who posted a reason why they couldn't.

-- adaMada
Old August 24, 2002, 21:47   #5
Vitreous Humor
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:51
On the thread Who to attack after France? the consensus seems to be America then peace to build up our empire. The 2nd American war may be the last chance to use the Chariots en-mass. (unless the Persians declare war us... ) Once the medieval units start rolling out the chariots won't be that effective.

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
The one thing we don't want is to be building workers and settlers during our GA.
Good point. My idea would be to build settlers and cities during the war with France and then try trigger the GA when we hit America.

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
Most of our cities are still too small to show any real gain from it.
I agree we are not big enough to have really efficent or large GA but IMHO its going have to be soon or not at all.
Old August 25, 2002, 01:39   #6
adaMada
King

Biggest question is, how much effort will it take to kill off America?

If we spend most of our GA in War with America, that will basically waste it. Having said that, with the number of Chariots we could put out, combined with our existing forces, the war with America might not have to last long.

On the other hand, we could not use War Chariots until the end of the war. By doing that, however, we'd be unnecessarially prolonging it by not utilizing our advantages, and if we had to stop the war for whatever reason we might not be able to trigger our Golden Age anytime soon.

Personally, I'm undecided. I hope, however, that this thread can produce something of a consensus, or at least show where most people stand on the issue... right now, I've heard a lot of good arguements, but not enough agreement for a decision to be made on (or even enough to make a poll with several central options).

-- adaMada
Old August 25, 2002, 06:27   #7
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 02:51
I think we hould have our golden age as soon as we switch givernements (probably to monarchy). This would allow us to take full advantage of the bonuses.
Old August 25, 2002, 10:44   #8
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 08:51
hi ,

we should wait for now , we should have more cities and more people in them , ....

have a nice day
Old August 25, 2002, 18:17   #9
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:51
Could we have some numerical data on the benefits of the GA ?
Old August 25, 2002, 18:25   #10
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT
Could we have some numerical data on the benefits of the GA ?
hi ,

lasts 20 turns , more shields , more money , ....
research is faster , .....

have a nice day
Old August 25, 2002, 18:49   #11
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:51
Although there may be alot of support for a GA now due to the current situation I don't think it will help us that much.

Speaking only for mingapulco our cities are producing things that take 5 turns or less and so the production bonus will not have any serious impact IMO.
Old August 25, 2002, 20:23   #12
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:51
I agree with people here who DON'T want a GA right now. As said by panag, more shields, more money, and research faster... but as a percentage of we produce now. And what are we producing now? Or researching? We need Monarchy; we need libraries, more workers and more cities. We will have to wait a little. Not much, or our UU will be useless…
Old August 26, 2002, 06:05   #13
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
Although there may be alot of support for a GA now due to the current situation I don't think it will help us that much.

Speaking only for mingapulco our cities are producing things that take 5 turns or less and so the production bonus will not have any serious impact IMO.
hi ,

the GA gives one shield in a square that allready has one ,....so what we need is a maximum nuber of shields , ....

but in order to get that we need our cities to grow , ...

it would be indeed a shame to use it now , ...

have a nice day