Old August 25, 2002, 14:36   #1
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 23:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Neverwinter Nights
Am I the only one here playing this game??
Old August 25, 2002, 15:41   #2
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 08:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
no, there were a few threads started about it when it just got out, just none of those threads survived
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old August 25, 2002, 16:31   #3
alofatti
Settler

Local Time: 06:53
Ah... I wish I could play it. I have been screwed because of my graphics card (an S3 unsopported card)
Old August 25, 2002, 18:47   #4
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:53
When I get to school, me and a couple friends are going to start playing it in earnest. It's a damn good game.
Old August 25, 2002, 19:25   #5
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Some of my friends and I are going to try to get hold of it by the end of term, so we can have a crack at it MP over Christmas. I played some BG2 Friday into Saturday, MP (6-strong party - Crusader, Fighter, Swashbuckler, Cleric, Archer, Mage (me)), and it was serious fun!
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old August 25, 2002, 23:24   #6
Zkribbler
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Felch X
When I get to school, me and a couple friends are going to start playing it in earnest. It's a damn good game.
Yeah, I noticed. I did have plans for this weekend but I've been buzy puttin' down prison escapes, zombie attacks and pirate rampages. Oh, what's a lone barbarian to do?

Two of my favorite parts so far:
(1) getting into a drinking contest
(2) talking to a guard who has strick orders not to let anyone by who doesn't have the password, sayin' "ah come on, let me by," and him replying "heck, why not?"

I love the brain-eating monster
But I hate dire spiders
Old August 27, 2002, 15:24   #7
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Those spiders are bastards.

I just got the game two days ago. Cool stuff... Everyone listens to me, because I have excessive amounts of persuade.
Old August 27, 2002, 18:03   #8
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 00:53
I would play if I had people to play with

but as for single player, I would rather play morrowind

Jon Miller
Old August 27, 2002, 18:56   #9
MosesPresley
Prince

Local Time: 01:53
I finally have made it to Chapter 3, but my life has been calling, so I don't know if I will ever have time to finish it. I have a 15th level arcane magic user. These RPG's are just so involved and too long.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old August 27, 2002, 19:21   #10
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Sure, Morrowind's better SP. But I'm taking to BG2 well as well - playing the SP quest on that in between MW. For MP, I can see NWN kicking some serious rear-end.

Idle thought: I wonder what happens if I let Imoen die before leaving that first underground bit in BG2...
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old August 28, 2002, 01:38   #11
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I was playing it.

I'm taking a break. good game, but still a little to barren for my tastes.

There are some good modules I want to try. One of them is underworld or something.
Old August 28, 2002, 06:35   #12
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 07:53
I've completed the SP game twice and played quite a number of MP scenarios too. Its an excellent first attempt at true multiplayer AD&D but it needs more content to make it truly shine. The amateur mods to improve henchmen, monster AI etc are already making a difference. What we need now is for an official expansion to bring in a lot more spells and skills (and no doubt many players would now like to see lvl 21+ support too).
Old August 28, 2002, 06:49   #13
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 14:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Chowlett
Idle thought: I wonder what happens if I let Imoen die before leaving that first underground bit in BG2...
Actually she can't die in the first bit. The (irremovable) belt she currently wears prevents it. If she is in a situation where she would ordinarily be "killed", the character panics and runs - effectively leaving the party until they exit the dungeon.

Incidentally, if you enjoy mods TDD and a few other BG2 mods are pretty good.
Old August 28, 2002, 09:36   #14
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

I've finished it as well. I thought is was great.

As Grumbold said, an expansion will truely make it shine, but there's a lot of very good stuff in already. And playing it MP is an absolute blast. I was in an 5 vs 5 game a couple of days ago and can't recall last time I had this much fun.

Anyone have good modules (SP or MP) to recommend?
Old August 28, 2002, 09:40   #15
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Oh, and Moses: ch 3 and 4 are much smaller and quicker to play through than 1 and 2. You can do it
Old August 28, 2002, 10:53   #16
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 08:53
oh my...i went to the mall today, and i saw NWN lying there, it costs 59 euros
Civ3 when it came out costed 45 euro, i don't think any pc game (except for MS flight sim maybe) has ever cost this much.

I tihnk i'll wait a bit, hoping the price will come down soon, or maybe even get it bundled with an expansion pack
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old August 29, 2002, 07:09   #17
Grumbold
Emperor

The game is quite high priced because if you make the most of it you get a lot out of the box. If you only plan to do the single player campaign and maybe download a scenario or two its not worth it. If you get fully into the multiplayer or even start building your own module you see why it is priced that bit higher. Think of it like a MMORPG you don't have to pay monthly for
Old August 30, 2002, 12:34   #18
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Ok, this is bugging me; what's up with the *coup de grace* hit? I've gotten it twice, and when I looked at the text, it said 'automatic hit' (and it killed the nasties in question). anyone know?
Old August 30, 2002, 12:48   #19
Felch
Emperor

Coup de Grace is a D&D rule basically refering to situations where you can just kill somebody without any trouble. It's like the last hit in a fight, where the enemy is unconscious or whatever, and you just slice his head off.

At least, that's how I always interpreted it. You usually get it when they're asleep or stunned or something.
Old August 30, 2002, 13:39   #20
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Thank you.
Old August 30, 2002, 15:37   #21
moomin
King

Coup de Grace is French for mercy kill. Get yourself a weapon which induces sleep and you'll be mercy killing all over the place...
Old September 2, 2002, 21:56   #22
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I haven't played it much, which is kind of strange considering how much I was looking forward to it... though not so strange when you consider what a crummy RPG the single player module is.

But I'll probably be playing alot of it soon, since ALPHA has just recently gone into it's first beta phase... it's going to be in competition for my attention with dark age of camelot, though.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 2, 2002, 22:27   #23
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I thinkt he some apolyton players should get together for a game

(glas that my decision to play morrowind instead sounds to have payed off)

Jon Miller
Old September 3, 2002, 00:21   #24
Felch
Emperor

I got both

Felch X
Old September 3, 2002, 00:33   #25
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

WEll, I have both as well. But I only started up NWN and played for 30 minutes to an hour. I have played Morrowind much longer. I will purchase morrowind, I do not know if I will do so for NWN (I will need people to play with I think).

Jon Miller
Old September 3, 2002, 05:48   #26
moomin
King

I started with MW, but NWN has taken over completely. First, I'm not an obsessive PRGer, so I appreciate that Bioware took out a lot of stuff that's only irritating, IMHO, such as getting tired when running or having to constantly fix your gear to keep it shiny. Realistic, yes, fun, no. And then I think the NWN interface really shines. Finally, I have a MP group going in NWN and we're having an absolute blast playing the game. NWN MP is tremendous fun.
Old September 3, 2002, 13:22   #27
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yes it is. I played the original campaign in multiplayer (with one other person). The original campaign is a little dry but playing cooperatively makes up for that. Although it may have been a little easy. We notched the difficulty up to the highest setting and still no serious challenge.
Old September 3, 2002, 16:00   #28
moomin
King

You played the Bioware campaign MP? That can't have been much of a challenge - I really am no hardcore RPG player and made it thru' on the highest difficulty on my own without ever hiring a henchman.

Try to get a few reliable players together - I play 5 vs 5 MP games right now, and the fun level is simply insane.
Old September 3, 2002, 16:13   #29
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I do think some of it is scaled by your average level (possibley averaged with the 2 players). I'm not sure.

But it was still pretty easy. Occasionaly we died, but not very often.
Old September 7, 2002, 01:28   #30
Zkribbler
Deity

You're lucky, Moses. As I neared the end of Chapter One (at least I think I was nearing the end), my Level 6 half-orc barbarian came up against a certain Level 10 cleric whom we all know and love. My great axe was totally ineffective against him. Even when it was backed up with barbarian rage, powerstroke and potion-enhanced strength. So I'm paying Chapter One over against, as a half-elf wizard.

What I'm spending most of my time on is designing my first module. Designing is a lot of fun and very complicated. It looks like, before I'm done, I'm going to have to pick up some rudimertary C language skills so I can do some "scripting."