Old August 25, 2002, 15:30   #1
neonext
Warlord

Local Time: 22:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ron, I think it's about that time....
... to finally redo the Alternative Civilizations guide on the main Apolyton site.

Here's the current offerings:

Manifest Destiny World Conquering 4x TBS
Clash of Civs Whole-History 4x TBS
GGS Improved TBS - Historical Simulation
Slick-6 Space 4x TBS
Freeciv Civ type

Manifest, Clash, and FreeCiv obviously still belong, and I'm not sure about GGS because I have never looked much into that game, but since it has it's own forum I'm assuming it still belongs. Slick-6? I still don't know what that one is, or what it is doing here. I don't recall anyone, anywhere ever mentioning anything about it, even in the MoO forums.
Also, Candle'Bre has it's own forum now (btw, how did that happen? is it because Vel likes to talk a lot and gets lots of discussions going and gets user interest easily, or is it because his game was featured in a column?), so maybe Candle'Bre belongs there, but then again they haven't even reached the coding stage yet... Hmmm there was one other game I was thinking of that I think belongs, I just can't remember it at the moment

Now, as for the page layout, I like the fact that the basic game information is sorted in tables, however the page looks rather messy and like it was finished up in a half hour. I'm not sure how many people visit this section, but IMO it would be nice if it looked decent and was updated at least once a month.

My day job has been building web sites, mostly ASP/SQL coding, but I think I can still handle ol' HTML. If you are too busy, perhaps I can come up with something. I can submit it, and if you or the Apolyton staff don't like it, then you don't have to use it.
neonext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2002, 10:46   #2
RonHiler
Warlord

I'm the wrong person to ask, actually I long ago resigned as the Alt-Civ person. In fact, I never was really able to do much with it. I had all kinds of issues getting write permissions for the section, and we never did really get it worked out. After lots of e-mails back and forth, I finally gave up (it is certainly possible it was me that was doing something wrong, they use an entirely different system here at Apolyton than I'm used to with my own site, and I wasn't very familiar with how to work it). I think I may have pissed off Mark and Dan, actually, because they haven't spoken to me since or given MD releases any coverage at all Ah well.

I'm not sure who exactly is in charge of the section now, if anyone. There may be a job opening, if you want it

Anyway, you're right. MD, Clash, and FreeCiv should still be there. GGS is now officially dead, and S-6 died a long time ago, they could be taken down. CB does seem to have generated a lot of interest, though I have yet to see anything concrete from them. Perhaps that one ought to wait until there are at least screenshots available? And what about Civiliza? Is your project ready for the board? There is also GalCiv, but I think that's a commercial project, and may not apply.

I'm sure Dan and Mark would love for someone to actively control that section if its not being handled by someone already. No doubt they have more than enough to do as it is and would like to hand off that section to someone who could maintain it. If you're interested, give them a buzz.

Ron
RonHiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2002, 14:51   #3
neonext
Warlord

Thanks for the response Ron, I didn't know you had resigned. Perhaps a better way of handling the guide would be to have two different categories: one for alt-civs that are complete or mostly complete (FreeCiv, MD, Clash), and another category for the games that are in progress that have real potential (Civiliza, CB).

Anyways, that would require updating, which would require someone to be appointed to the whole Alt-Civ section, which leads us back to the beginning again.

Oh well, here's to hopeing that maybe someday the Alt-Civ section will get the attention it deserves.
Old September 6, 2002, 13:22   #4
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 06:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
is it because Vel likes to talk

I do, don't I?

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Velociryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2002, 16:19   #5
neonext
Warlord

hehe yea i guess so..

that's a good thing tho, as long as you can follow through with it all.
Old September 6, 2002, 16:42   #6
Mark_Everson

Local Time: 02:53
Hey neonext, you should give Vel a break! CB is already blazing a new path as the first Java game written in C++

Sooory, Vel, just coudn't resist...
Mark_Everson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2002, 17:38   #7
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 06:53

's okay Mark....I had that coming! Nahhh, I'm totally comitted to making the game in Java....it just happened that we had a lot more c++ folks able to code when we were ready to start, so we ran with it while planning the other....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Velociryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2002, 17:48   #8
neonext
Warlord

oh no! not another java game! (no offense mark)