Old August 25, 2002, 18:45   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 06:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Can the War Chariot still be upgraded to horseman?
Did they change it so you can't upgrade war chariots at all? I have about 40 in my current game and was gonna upgrade. Tried to at a barracks in a city that is connected next to my capital and there was no upgrade option.

In the civilopedia it says they upgrade to horsemen. Did they change this in a patch?

If so that sucks I'm gonna have to disband 40 chariots ouch....
Old August 25, 2002, 18:50   #2
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 02:54
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
No, it ain't that bad.

WCs upgrade to Knights. So basically, they're cheap and early Horsemen that can't travel unroaded jungle or mountains.

Horses are concurrent.

This was changed in the patch that put UUs into the upgrade path.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 25, 2002, 18:55   #3
Artifex
Prince

oh ok, no biggie then. This is my first game as Egypt in a while and they are incredibly strong. They are hands down the most powerful civ to play. I am owning bigtime on emperor with them.. I usually play monarch but emperor actually seems easier at least this current game lol. Only difference I notice is that barbarians seem to be more aggressive.

Also, I heard some here saying egypt isn't a good civ for conquest and are more a builder civ..and the war chariot is a weak UU. I usually play china, aztecs, or germany and I can say Egypt is one of the BEST military civs and the war chariot is a kickass UU IMHO. You really have the best of both worlds...builder/conquerer.
Old August 25, 2002, 19:00   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

It seemed like an urgent question.

Yeah, Egypt rocks. Best all around civ, I think, if you go into a game not knowing whether you'll be primarily a builder or a warmonger.

Hmmm, haven't played as Egypt in a while... I wonder why that would be...
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old August 25, 2002, 19:55   #5
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Can they be upgrade to horsemen in 1.21?
Old August 25, 2002, 20:19   #6
zulu9812
King

what does it matter? change the upgrade paths yourselves if it bothers you that much
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old August 25, 2002, 22:01   #7
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 01:54
UUs aside, this is what I did ('...' means continue with normal path)

Warrior > Swordsman > Rilfeman...
Archer > Longbowman > Rifleman...
Chariot > Horsman > Knight > Cavalry > Tank...
Frigate > Ironclad > Destroyer

This helps me out a lot in the late game, nothing worse then charging in with Modern Armors blazing only to find 12 swordsman protecting the captial.
Old August 26, 2002, 00:15   #8
Theseus
Emperor

OPD, I'm pretty sure that the upgrade paths were set as of or before 1.21, so WCs and Horsemen are concurrent, and both upgrade to Knights.

Old August 26, 2002, 08:49   #9
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 07:54
Haven't played much since the last patch. Does the upgrade from WC (my fave) to knights costs 80 (horses to knights) or 100 (WC to horses to knights)?
Old August 26, 2002, 09:12   #10
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 01:54
The WCis a good UU for early conquest if you have horsies and not too much unpassable terrain.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old August 26, 2002, 09:47   #11
dunk
Prince

War Chariot to Knight costs 100 gold.
Old August 26, 2002, 10:19   #12
cracker
Warlord

Local Time: 23:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The War Chariot does not follow the normal upgrade path, but does eventually upgrade to knights.

The reason the WC does not upgrade to horsemen is to allow you a longer period of time where you can build WCs and take advantage of the units cost of 20 versus the horseman's 30 for very similar abilities.

You may need to build a few horsemen even while you continue to build WCs because the horsemen can cross mountains and jungle.

WCs make an outstanding early rush unit because you can whip them out under despotism for one pop oint whenever you have cities that only have 1 shield in the bin while having a population of 2 or more.

Understanding how the retreat ability effects surviveability and combat success is one of the skills that separates the players trapped at warlord level with swordsman from the players succeedind at emporer and deity levesl with WCs and horsemen.

Here is a link to a detail discussion of War Chariots including an entire campaign fought using then as the primary combat force:

War Chariots versus Japan from GOTM9