Old August 26, 2002, 00:38   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 06:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Newbie Civ2 Questions
Greetings! I got Civ2MGE about a...well...year ago, but I've only played it a few times and now I think i'm ready to revive it. Just a few questions (And if their obvious remember, I'm too lazy to play the game and find out myself. Forgive me):

1. How do caravans work?

2. What scenarios are easy for someone who hardly has any experience at playing the game, yet are fun? Of course, modern/NEAR future scens are of particular interest...

3. Um....Forgot the third question. Oh yes, how does a civ define a national border?

4. Is there any reason not to run Fundie? In my (limited) experience, fundie just means winning the game through overwhelming force...

5. I would like to change some of the rules temporarily so I am pondering creating my own scenario. Is there any way to change the rules without affecting the rest of the game?
Old August 26, 2002, 03:50   #2
Messer Niccolò
Prince

Local Time: 07:54
Quick answers:
1) caravans: food caravans, fill half of the food box
1b) caravans: goods caravans: if delivered to any city give you $$$ and science beakers.
both kind of caravans ca be used to speed up wonder construction (if you are building one and the caravan is delivered to the city building such wow).

2) I leave this to the scenario players

3) no "definition" of national borders... except annihilation of the city/unit who enters your nation...

4) no reasons, it depends of what kind of game are you playing, the only thing is that your science output will suffer... (you can steal advances with diplo/spies of course or conquer cities)

5) your question is not so clear but you can go in the Rules.txt to make some changes... other you'd better ask in the creation page (I think )

Mr. N.
Old August 26, 2002, 08:03   #3
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 02:54
3. Scenarios? You can try finding the New World Order scenario, it starts in 1992 IIRC and runs into the modern age. Or Red Front

5. You can edit some of the rules and the *entire* game won't change, is that what you mean?
Old August 26, 2002, 10:14   #4
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 01:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Mao
3. Scenarios? You can try finding the New World Order scenario, it starts in 1992 IIRC and runs into the modern age. Or Red Front
@ Red Front for newbies... talk about a baptism by fire.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old August 26, 2002, 10:22   #5
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 01:54
Clarifying slightly --

3. No national borders. Only cities have borders.

4. Fundamentalism is a great way to go after military victory. Much money for bribing and building units, virtually no restrictions on troop support, and no problems with happiness. As long as you have sufficiently advanced militia, it's a steamroller.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old August 26, 2002, 11:43   #6
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 00:54
Re: Newbie Civ2 Questions
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
Greetings! I got Civ2MGE about a...well...year ago, but I've only played it a few times and now I think i'm ready to revive it. Just a few questions (And if their obvious remember, I'm too lazy to play the game and find out myself. Forgive me):

1. How do caravans work?
They set up trade routes between cities. What resources you have available are dependent on the terrain around your city (largely random, though Food Supplies will be available unless the city is running at a food deficit). When a goods caravan reaches its target city, you get a one-time gold bonus, a one-time science boost (100 beakers), and a permanent trade bonus in both cities (dependent on the trade output of both cities). When a food caravan reaches its target, the target's food box is half-filled, and the origin city donates 1 food/turn to the destination city.

Quote:
2. What scenarios are easy for someone who hardly has any experience at playing the game, yet are fun? Of course, modern/NEAR future scens are of particular interest...
No idea. If I were in an evil mood, I'd suggest Red Front, but even I have trouble beating that.

Quote:
3. Um....Forgot the third question. Oh yes, how does a civ define a national border?
City radii.

Quote:
4. Is there any reason not to run Fundie? In my (limited) experience, fundie just means winning the game through overwhelming force...
Yes. Very slow research and depressed trade (see my first answer).

[q]5. I would like to change some of the rules temporarily so I am pondering creating my own scenario. Is there any way to change the rules without affecting the rest of the game? [/QUOTE]

Yeah. Start a game, save it to a new directory in the Scenario folder, copy rules.txt over to that folder, and edit all you want. Then open up cheat mode in the save and save it as a scenario.
Old August 26, 2002, 13:53   #7
Cyrion
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 08:54
Re: Re: Newbie Civ2 Questions
Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov

They set up trade routes between cities. What resources you have available are dependent on the terrain around your city (largely random, though Food Supplies will be available unless the city is running at a food deficit). When a goods caravan reaches its target city, you get a one-time gold bonus, a one-time science boost (100 beakers), and a permanent trade bonus in both cities (dependent on the trade output of both cities). When a food caravan reaches its target, the target's food box is half-filled, and the origin city donates 1 food/turn to the destination city.
Well, sorry if I misunderstood you Vlad, but I think you are mistaken:

Food supplies is available even if the city is running at a food deficit! If you use the food caravan to build a food trade link, then the food deficit will be 1 food/turn higher (except if you go to a city to which the same city already has a food trade link : in that case I think the only influence is filling the food box ! I'm not sure about that last point, though... ) And then, you can use your food caravan to help build Wonders without any influence on food deficit...

And about the one-time science boost : it's not fixed at 100 beakers!! Actually, it brings exactly as many beakers as gold (up to 2/3 of the total needed for a full tech advance).

I'm not sure whether my explanations where understandable, but I hope so...
LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464
Old August 26, 2002, 23:00   #8
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 02:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

@ Red Front for newbies... talk about a baptism by fire.
Hey hey, I remember when we pushed some newbie here to start on Deity...and he's all the better for it I'm sure...or his Civ2 CD is already broken out of frustration...either way...
Old September 2, 2002, 06:29   #9
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 06:54
Re: Re: Re: Newbie Civ2 Questions
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyrion
And about the one-time science boost : it's not fixed at 100 beakers!! Actually, it brings exactly as many beakers as gold (up to 2/3 of the total needed for a full tech advance).
Is there any evidence to support this, Cyrion? It is a comonly held tenet, but I have seen no testing or other evidence that shows the 2/3 figure to be legitimate. My own empirical feeling is that the cap is simply one beaker less than the full beaker box - but I do not have proper evidence either....

SG[1] - quizzical