Old August 26, 2002, 13:56   #1
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Recent Poll: 35% of Americans are jerks.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...f_gay_athletes

Quote:

Poll indicates acceptance of gay athletes
Mon Aug 19, 8:17 PM ET
Gay.com / PlanetOut.com Network

SUMMARY: A recent opinion survey suggests that public acceptance of openly gay or lesbian professional athletes in America is generally favorable.

A recent opinion survey suggests that public acceptance of openly gay or lesbian professional athletes in America is generally favorable.

Results of the poll, conducted online last month with 2,191 adults nationwide, indicate that 65 percent of respondents would not feel differently about their favorite athlete if he or she was to reveal being gay or lesbian.

Seventy-eight percent, however, said that "other sports fans" were not so tolerant.

"In many tests of public opinion, when Americans are asked about their own discriminatory feelings - it's not unusual to hear them say that they, themselves, are more tolerant than others," said Bob Witeck, chief executive officer of Witeck-Combs Communications, which conducted the poll with Harris Interactive ( news - external web site).

In another survey question, responses demonstrated a clearer sense of support. When asked to choose a descriptive label for a popular male athlete who is openly gay, 76 percent chose positive descriptions, such as "honest," "courageous" or "being himself."

Regarding team sports versus individual sports, respondents felt that fans of team sports were much less accepting of gay or lesbian athletes than fans of individual sports.

Despite these findings, professional sports has not kept pace with many other professions in terms of welcoming openly gay and lesbian members. Last May, after a Mets manager suggested in an interview that his team could handle having a gay player, a media frenzy of speculation erupted. The incident prompted one player, catcher Mike Piazza, to insist that he is not gay.
The story is put in a positive light, but I can't help but be dismayed that tens of millions of people would think less of someone they once liked based on finding out they are gay. Not based on what they do, but who they are...shameful.

Booooooooooooooooo!!!
Old August 26, 2002, 13:57   #2
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Oops, didn't read the article.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 26, 2002, 13:59   #3
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

"conducted online last month with 2,191 adults nationwide"

Oh, that's authoritative.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old August 26, 2002, 13:59   #4
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 01:56
I wouldn't complain if I were you. Think what that percentage would have been 10 years ago. A vast improvement I'm sure. It's going to take a lot more time before the current number is even halved.
Old August 26, 2002, 13:59   #5
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 07:56
Boris, I agree, but at least it moves in the right direction (right...? )
Old August 26, 2002, 14:01   #6
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Oops, didn't read the article.
You had me wondering there for a minute or so...
Old August 26, 2002, 14:03   #7
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
"conducted online last month with 2,191 adults nationwide"

Oh, that's authoritative.
Give me a nationally balanced sample with almost 2200 completed surveys, and I would feel very confident in the results. But since it said it was an online survey, I doubt very highly that it was nationally balanced. Internet surveys are skewed towards a more wealthy population, so I would think these numbers are optimistic.

RAH
Old August 26, 2002, 14:04   #8
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 14:56
Sorry to know that's your case, Boris.
Old August 26, 2002, 14:06   #9
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 06:56
Quote:
Originally posted by rah
I wouldn't complain if I were you. Think what that percentage would have been 10 years ago. A vast improvement I'm sure. It's going to take a lot more time before the current number is even halved.
Well, when acceptance is better in other countries I think theres some grounds for complaints/comparisons. If that was the best figure in the world then there wouldn't be much cause for complaint, IMO.
Old August 26, 2002, 14:07   #10
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Does anyone really take online surveys seriously?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 26, 2002, 14:08   #11
rah
lifer
Just another peon

No, but our company still charges to do them.
Old August 26, 2002, 14:09   #12
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
No, but our company still charges to do them.
How much do you charge them to do nothing of substance?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 26, 2002, 14:11   #13
drake
King

Better gay than a father to 5 different illegitimate children, as many athletes are.

Better gay than allen iverson-esque.

Lets be honest, a reasonable % of sports fans are sexist, macho type guys. They'll keep cheering Ray Lewis after he shoots a few people, but listen to them boo when they find out he likes guys.
Old August 26, 2002, 14:12   #14
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

My initial reaction to the thread title - before reading any of it - was: "that's all? Seriously, I think we have more jerks than THAT!"

After reading: Boris, I agree with you but: 1) on-line polls aren't very accurate (and unfortunately, rah is probably right that the wealthier audience boosts the non-jerk responses); and 2) if the numbers are close being right, they've got to be an improvement, no?

-Arrian
(one of the 65% What the hell do I care whether Mike Piazza digs chicks or dicks?)

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 26, 2002, 14:13   #15
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon
Well, when acceptance is better in other countries I think theres some grounds for complaints/comparisons. If that was the best figure in the world then there wouldn't be much cause for complaint, IMO.
How do you really know about the acceptance level in other countries... Unless an identical study was done around the world, you have nothing to compare these numbers with. For all you know, these might be the best numbers

And no... I don't trust internet studies. As rah pointed out, and as I also know from studies done in my field, internet surveys are skewed, and not representative of the country as a whole. I also agree that these numbers are probably a little high since they probably skew to the more metropolitian areas vs the rural areas... sad, but probably true.
Old August 26, 2002, 14:15   #16
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

How do you really know about the acceptance level in other countries... Unless an identical study was done around the world, you have nothing to compare these numbers with. For all you know, these might be the best numbers

And no... I don't trust internet studies. As rah pointed out, and as I also know from studies done in my field, internet surveys are skewed, and not representative of the country as a whole. I also agree that these numbers are probably a little high since they probably skew to the more metropolitian areas vs the rural areas... sad, but probably true.

Well I'm ominpresent. So I know.

And I think it's true the world over that more liberal (and edcuated) peoples live in urban areas.

And, to be fair, I'd rather live in America than Iraq
Old August 26, 2002, 14:19   #17
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Well I'm ominpresent. So I know.
Hmmmm... with that being the case, could you please PM me an overview of the next five days of the NYSE.

And if on Friday, you are right on target, could you then provide me with the following week overview
Old August 26, 2002, 14:20   #18
drake
King

Quote:
And I think it's true the world over that more liberal (and edcuated) peoples live in urban areas.
Depends on where in the cities and where in the country. The quality of education in rural areas often far exceeds that of a city school.

And as far as being liberal, well it depends on the area. The notion that rural people are all ignorant hicks is well....ignorant
Old August 26, 2002, 14:21   #19
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:

Hmmmm... with that being the case, could you please PM me an overview of the next five days of the NYSE.

And if on Friday, you are right on target, could you then provide me with the following week overview
I have a very specific omnipresence, which only allows me to review the public opinion of gay athletes worldwide.
Old August 26, 2002, 14:25   #20
Solly
Emperor

That figure is way false.

Probably a lot of neo-gay groups join forces on random forums in order to skew the figures. I don't believe that for a moment.
Old August 26, 2002, 14:26   #21
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
I have a very specific omnipresence, which only allows me to review the public opinion of gay athletes worldwide.
Now that sucks... what good is having the "power" then

Drake raises some fine points. There are exceptions to every generalization. (DUHHHHH)
Old August 26, 2002, 14:29   #22
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Boddington's Probably a lot of neo-gay groups join forces on random forums in order to skew the figures. I don't believe that for a moment.

The voice of experience speaks... well, maybe yaps like a dog...
Old August 26, 2002, 14:29   #23
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:

Now that sucks... what good is having the "power" then

Drake raises some fine points. There are exceptions to every generalization. (DUHHHHH)
It allows me to be right in the thread.

Bodders - what the hell is a 'neo-gay' group? Oh, and yes we are all telepathically linked and are conspiring to skewer the results of internet polls! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old August 26, 2002, 14:30   #24
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
How much do you charge them to do nothing of substance?
When the economy is tanked like it is now, research is one of the first things companies cut, so we'll take whatever we can get. We do warn them about reliability if they chintz out.

It is possible to do very good research over the internet. But it is considerably more costly. If you start with a nationally balance sample, suplementing mail and phone surveys to round out the lower income households and seniors, it helps. Then with the proper weighting methodology you'd be surprised at the quality of the results.

When the topic is time sensitive, the internet can beat the telephone for getting the highest number of respondents in the shortest period of time.

And if you're not as concerned about the quality of the results or at least understand how it biases the results, the internet is the CHEAPEST and fastest way to receive results. (and sometimes if you're targeting higher income households, the internet is not that bad)

RAH
end of commercial
Old August 26, 2002, 14:31   #25
Solly
Emperor

Quote:

It allows me to be right in the thread.

Bodders - what the hell is a 'neo-gay' group? Oh, and yes we are all telepathically linked and are conspiring to skewer the results of internet polls! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
If you lot can organise yourself into poncy little parades that get plastered all over page 2 of my local paper, then I am sure you could arrange a meeting place on the net for yourselves.

Old August 26, 2002, 14:35   #26
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Boddington's

If you lot can organise yourself into poncy little parades that get plastered all over page 2 of my local paper, then I am sure you could arrange a meeting place on the net for yourselves.

LOL! 'You lot'.

Now, Boddingtons I'm going to explain a concept that may confuse and frighten you.

Gay people are human. We do not have a united conscience or agenda. We have individual thoughts.

Why do I get the feeling Bodders sees us as a pink version of the Borg?
Old August 26, 2002, 14:36   #27
red_jon
NationStates
King

We are the gays. Prepare to be homo-ulated. Resistance is futile.
Old August 26, 2002, 14:36   #28
rah
lifer
Just another peon

The voice of tolerance.

Yes, the Italians organize fluffy Colombus day parades every year too, so I'm sure they all met on the interent to bias the results too.
Old August 26, 2002, 19:49   #29
Kepler
Settler

Local Time: 22:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Boddington's If you lot can organise yourself into poncy little parades that get plastered all over page 2 of my local paper, then I am sure you could arrange a meeting place on the net for yourselves.
I've seen more flagrant examples of denial. Just not lately.
Old August 26, 2002, 20:18   #30
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:56
Quote:
We are the gays. Prepare to be homo-ulated. Resistance is futile.
Thats probably what he is thinking too.

[Parody]
Hey, that guy in this room is gay.
Hey, that other guy in this room is gay too.

Wait a second, I'm in this room too. Does this mean...
I think I'd better get out of this room!
[/Parody]