Old August 26, 2002, 20:15   #1
brianshapiro
Warlord

Local Time: 22:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
REQ: mods also as add-ons
I would want mods to be able to function as add-ons so that a player can gather together unique civs made by different creators and use them all as options in a standard game, like in Alpha Centauri. This would also be the case with units and technology also but I'm sure using custom civilizations would be the standard use. The game would have an setting for which mods are being used as add-ons , and for the game compile together the different mods. Even if the addon list is changed the saved game file keeps track of the addons that were set when the game was started. I would like to use different custom civs without using them packaged differently in different custom games.
Old August 26, 2002, 21:27   #2
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 01:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You can use the "import" option with the current editor. This lets you take one "page" of rules from a mod at a time. Is it totally flexible? No. But it can do some of the things you are saying.
Old August 26, 2002, 22:02   #3
brianshapiro
Warlord

no no no. if you just want to add new civilizations, creating a page for them on your own isnt that hard anyway , i wouldnt be asking just for that ability. and nothing to do with the editor at all either , players should be able to use new civilizations without mucking around in an editor that most besides civ fanatics will leave alone. i just think that the player should have the option of custom civs and using many from different sources, for example , without resorting to playing with a packaged scenario file or spending time in the editor and in graphics editing programs. the point is to make it a convenient option such as an add-on similar to alpha centauri , where all that was needed was a placing a new faction file in the directory.; so you have an option when starting a game which mod rules to inherit , and which stays with the same options until changed so they dont have to be continuously reselected.
Old August 26, 2002, 22:08   #4
brianshapiro
Warlord

so for instance, someone would have a Fascism.mod , a Extra Civilizations Pack 1.mod , Extra Civilizations Pack 2.mod , Farms.mod , and from a checklist on the new game screen , where rules can be selected you could select which mod rules to inherit and use in the game, and also because in a list the first ones can be given higher priority : the options the player selects will be kept the same for future games until changed. As i said for the regular player i think advising them to meddle with editing programs to do this is too much.
Old August 27, 2002, 05:27   #5
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 01:57
Okay, I understand. That would be pretty good.
Old August 29, 2002, 16:16   #6
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 00:57
There was mention of a mod manager in at least one of the numerous articles out about Play the World.