Old August 27, 2002, 07:26   #1
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Will this help on large/huge maps
If I get a pentium 4 2.4 GHz 512MB ram computer, will turns on big maps play really quick(under 10 seconds)
Old August 27, 2002, 07:52   #2
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 08:58
Probably not, especially later in the game. I have an 1.4 GHZ with 512 MB ram and the hang between your build and movement turn is around 10 secs already during the middle ages.
Old August 27, 2002, 08:25   #3
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 02:58
Do you have autosave on ?
Old August 27, 2002, 09:47   #4
Stevet
Settler

Local Time: 06:58
I've recently upgraded from a 1Ghz to 2.2Ghz PC and games that used to take an age now flyyyyy. You'll be amazed at how quickly units move and turns process if you upgrade to a 2.5Ghz PC.
Old August 27, 2002, 09:49   #5
TheStinger
King

I'veonly got a celeron 433 64Mb so any upgrade should help. I'm pretty much restricted to small and tiny maps
Old August 27, 2002, 10:05   #6
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Stinger,

I have a celeron 400, 64Mb and I play standard maps just fine. Large is a bit of a stretch, and clearly Huge is right out.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 27, 2002, 10:08   #7
TheStinger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Stinger,

I have a celeron 400, 64Mb and I play standard maps just fine. Large is a bit of a stretch, and clearly Huge is right out.

-Arrian
I do play standard sometimes, i dont tend to win early though and by industrial/modern the turn times are creeping up again.

My first ever game i tried a huge map i thought it had killed my computer
Old August 27, 2002, 10:17   #8
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 23:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Stinger,

-Arrian
All you need is more memory, a lot more. I have a Celeron 400 as well, and I'm able to play 256 X 256 maps without to much problem. As long as I keep it to 8 civs at any rate. I have 440 meg of RAM, and my memory manager display goes into the yellow. I think if I had 512, the game would have plenty.
Old August 27, 2002, 10:21   #9
TheStinger
King

I can restrict my shopping to RAM then.

Excellent
Old August 27, 2002, 10:49   #10
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 08:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
All you need is more memory, a lot more. I have a Celeron 400 as well, and I'm able to play 256 X 256 maps without to much problem. As long as I keep it to 8 civs at any rate. I have 440 meg of RAM, and my memory manager display goes into the yellow. I think if I had 512, the game would have plenty.
I have 386 mb, but still it takes ages on huge maps (I've got a P3 500)
Old August 27, 2002, 10:54   #11
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger
I can restrict my shopping to RAM then.

Excellent
It will still be slow, especially in the later part of the game, but more RAM will definitely help. I guess it all boils down to what your patience level is.
Old August 27, 2002, 11:12   #12
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I did forget to mention, Stinger, that I shut off most of the animations and the music (which for some reason totally screws up... skipps, stutters, and causes a HUGE slow-down. I haven't used the music since the first couple of games I played).

Like you, I've tried exactly 1 huge map game - and was it ever huge! Marla's map, in fact. I hit 45 minute turn lag in the early industrial age. The fact that I played it out that far is a testimony to my addiction.

Willem,

Yeah, I know that more RAM will help. But I have little desire to play Huge maps anyway, and I can tolerate a large with my current system if I really wanted to play one. Most of the time is spent on MY turn anyway, chosing production and ordering my workers and other units around. The AIs turn really doesn't take that long.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 28, 2002, 19:25   #13
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

Willem,

Yeah, I know that more RAM will help. But I have little desire to play Huge maps anyway, and I can tolerate a large with my current system if I really wanted to play one. Most of the time is spent on MY turn anyway, chosing production and ordering my workers and other units around. The AIs turn really doesn't take that long.
You should get more RAM anyway, regardless of what map size you play. At 64, you just barely have enough for your OS alone. All your programs will benefit from more, not just Civilization. And if you ever hope to upgrade to a better OS, more memory will be a must. I discovered when I upgraded to XP, that my system would use up 256 meg just sitting around doing nothing. Even with Win98, I got much better overall performance just having 128, even better when I had over 256.