Old August 28, 2002, 10:14   #91
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 08:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Severn

Yeah, their tanks weren't fast enough to reach many of the french before they gave up.

And let us not forget their incredible showing during operation torh, although in that case it could be said they wanted the US to win. But secretly, they just wanted to surrender.
hi ,

they where the oly country to get a cease fire , ....

and had the right to run things the way they wanted , ....

its in some history books , .....

have a nice day
Old August 28, 2002, 10:16   #92
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

You can also add the Mexican-American war (1846-1848) where the U.S. kicked the living sh*t out of Mexico and seized half of its territory. The Spanish-American War (1898) where the U.S. single handedly siezed all of Spain's over seas possessions and sunk two Spainish fleets in six months. We were also in WW1 late but U.S. man power and material proved decisive in the allied victory.

That doesn't count more then three dozen invasions and "interventions" in Latin America, mini wars like the 1804 invasion of Libya, or various neo-colonial involvements in places like China, several pacific islands (including hawaii), and what not.

Also Eisenhower first sent U.S. advisers to Vietnam in 1958 and the last U.S. combat troops left in 1974; That would be 16 years the U.S. stuck it out. South Vietnam fell in 1976 two years after the U.S. left. Also the U.S. won every single battle it ever fought against the North Vietnamese Army.
hi ,

all ground "army" personel was out by 1973 , the war ended in 1975 , ...

have a nice day
Old August 28, 2002, 11:38   #93
Bereta_Eder
Settler

as I said, americans never fought a real war. never on their soil and never with casualties on their terrain. the moment one of their cities is carpetbombed they will surrender 'cause they have proven that they cant take the heat.

Russia has a far longer and better tradition in space and with the money of the EU it can wipe out american "competition". it's just a matter if we can be bothered with green martians. apparently we can.

greek civilization is in its heights right now but noone notices cause everybody's watching britney spears.

and i can guarantee you that your britney spears civ will not be remembered after 2000 years when your civ is taken down after just a mere 300 bloddy filled years with no contribution to speak of when osama or someone else finally takes it down.

cheers
Old August 28, 2002, 11:49   #94
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:58
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
the moment one of their cities is carpetbombed they will surrender 'cause they have proven that they cant take the heat.
You do realize that Washington has been pillaged and razed before.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 28, 2002, 11:51   #95
Bereta_Eder
Settler

that's nothing compared to WW2. and it was done by canadians FFS
Old August 28, 2002, 12:13   #96
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 00:58
Yeah, that's why American tenacity right after 9/11 was calling for "nuke the bastards" instead of looking at the situation calmly.

If we were ever to be invaded, just think of how many people holed up in Montana and in the South would be ready to pull out all their guns and say "See! I dern tol' ya we'd need this'n here guns some day!" And then march out and start fighting.

The only reason the war against terrorism has even lost ground is because Americans have heard about as much as they can stand... we bombed the Taliban back into the stone age (if they weren't already there) and so now we're, for the most part, sedated.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old August 28, 2002, 12:24   #97
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:58
Quote:
as I said, americans never fought a real war. never on their soil and never with casualties on their terrain. the moment one of their cities is carpetbombed they will surrender 'cause they have proven that they cant take the heat.
Your usually not this stupid, what is this?

Quote:
Russia has a far longer and better tradition in space and with the money of the EU it can wipe out american "competition". it's just a matter if we can be bothered with green martians. apparently we can.
The only thing the EU knows about space is taking it up, and you know it.

Quote:
greek civilization is in its heights right now but noone notices cause everybody's watching britney spears.
Including you.

Quote:
and i can guarantee you that your britney spears civ will not be remembered after 2000 years when your civ is taken down after just a mere 300 bloddy filled years with no contribution to speak of when osama or someone else finally takes it down.

cheers
Very bad form, insulting and pointless.
Explain yourself.
Old August 28, 2002, 12:33   #98
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Britney Spears!?

She's almost exactly my age... I have no respect for her, nor like of her whatsoever. I was very upset when she was the Pepsi call-girl for a while (my favorite drink, but she damaged its rep!)

Anyway, I like red-heads better They generally actually have personality.

The only time I liked Spears is when she flipped off some reporters and actually acted her age in Mexico City (walking off the stage and having a diva... and immature moment.)

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old August 28, 2002, 13:28   #99
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
The only war we lose was Vietnam and we stuck that out for 12 odd years.
imran, the US lost korea as well.

as far as i'm concerned, you should have exterminated stalinist north, crushed and nuked those damn maoist ******, and strung up kim il sung up on some frikkin' high flagpole, before rubbing salt into the japanese farmlands.

yep, you lost korea. damn "stalemate" is no victory.

Old August 28, 2002, 13:35   #100
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

The Eu doesn't even have a manned space craft and the Russians don't have a long range craft. Neither government has enough spare funds to create a new one.
ESA made an executive decision years ago that they would never pursue manned missions - Manned spaceflight is not cost effective, so ESA has chosen not to throw money at it. Doesn't mean Europe is not a leader in the field of spaceflight. Afterall ArianeSpace launches 50% of all commercial satellites.

Of course Americans have always had more money than sense. (Both a compliment and a troll )
Old August 28, 2002, 13:47   #101
walruskkkch
King

Ask some of the civil war buffs about "No wars on US soil".
Old August 28, 2002, 14:00   #102
FlameFlash
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin

Of course Americans have always had more money than sense. (Both a compliment and a troll )
Guilty as charged (in the compliment way )

Quote:
Originally posted by walruskkkch
Ask some of the civil war buffs about "No wars on US soil".
Heh... though that wasn't another country invading us, that was our own stupidity biting us in the arse.

Old August 28, 2002, 14:03   #103
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by FlameFlash
Heh... though that wasn't another country invading us, that was our own stupidity biting us in the arse.
War of 1812 then.
Old August 28, 2002, 14:13   #104
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 07:58
Quote:
Now, would all of you who oppose attacking France change your tune if you could have as many French women as you could support as concubines?
Hey Ned, nice idea. Maybe that would convince one or two of them to go with me to Germany .
Old August 28, 2002, 16:11   #105
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 22:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If we invaded now, it would be pretty funny when they get back from being en vacances next week...

oh wait, I'm now a French civil domestique. (quelque peu)
Old August 28, 2002, 17:45   #106
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 09:58
Sten
Old August 29, 2002, 00:13   #107
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 13:58
Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd

Except for that minor thing called the man on the moon...let's see, all the Mars probes, etc. - the Russians had an early lead, but that lead was erased and eclipsed pretty quickly
Oh really?
First satelite, first spaceman, first women in space, first moon probe, first Venus probe, first human in open space, first docking of two spaceships, first orbital station, the longest space flight, first sea launch, (soon we'll have an air launch), first space turist, etc.
Since the beggining of space exploration Soviets/Russians launched THREE times more rockets in space then USA (It says about perfomance of our ICBM a lot btw ). How exactly you erased and eclipsed pretty quickly our lead in space exploration? Without our aid the ISS wouldn't constructed. Bacause only we have an unique experience of long space flights and in construction of orbital stations. Our cosmonauts lived for years on Earth orbirt. The SU had dozen of orbital stations, while for you ISS is the first and you just starting to gain experience we gained long ago and you doing this with our help. You should be gratefull for our help instead of showing your arrogance again.

Last edited by Serb; August 29, 2002 at 00:32.
Old August 29, 2002, 00:24   #108
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Serb
Without our aid the ISS wouldn't constructed.
You can not even afford to pay for your part of the ISS.
Old August 29, 2002, 00:25   #109
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 14:58
Re: US to invade France?
Quote:
Originally posted by BeBro
Hehehhe, not US, but us - invading France is our business!

You German-types are too selfish. Others want a turn too y'know.
Only real question is whether the US congress would actually have time to declare war before the French surrender.
Old August 29, 2002, 00:27   #110
DinoDoc
Deity

Re: Re: US to invade France?
Quote:
Originally posted by ravagon
Only real question is whether the US congress would actually have time to declare war before the French surrender.
It would make for an interesting race.
Old August 29, 2002, 00:30   #111
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Just don't go to Dieppe, especially with the British.
Old August 29, 2002, 00:30   #112
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
You can not even afford to pay for your part of the ISS.
Then where our cosmonauts live on ISS?
Old August 29, 2002, 00:31   #113
Pekka
Emperor

I bet their department of defense's recorded message in answering machine goes 'Sorry, we're too afraid to answer. In any case, we surrender right away. If you are with other business, please push 0'.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old August 29, 2002, 00:31   #114
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
that's nothing compared to WW2. and it was done by canadians FFS
Don't laugh too quick Greek boy. Never lost one yet. Can you say the same?
Old August 29, 2002, 00:33   #115
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Then where our comsmonauts live on ISS?
NASA is a good host.
Old August 29, 2002, 00:35   #116
Serb
Emperor

Are you trying to say that Russian cosmonauts live on American part of ISS?
Old August 29, 2002, 00:37   #117
DinoDoc
Deity

No, I'm saying that NASA has shouldered most of your financial obligations for the ISS and your whoring yourself out to the Backstreet Boys, etc. to make up for the rest.
Old August 29, 2002, 00:39   #118
The Vagabond
Prince

Local Time: 06:58
Quote:
Oh really?
First satelite, first spaceman, first women in space, first moon probe, first Venus probe, first human in open space, first docking of two spaceships, first orbital station, the longest space flight, first sea launch, (soon we'll have an air launch), first space turist, etc.
You just forgot to mention first sex in space.
Old August 29, 2002, 00:41   #119
Pekka
Emperor

two cosmonauts, and both gays? Woah.. what are the odds for that one!
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old August 29, 2002, 00:44   #120
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
No, I'm saying that NASA has shouldered most of your financial obligations for the ISS and your whoring yourself out to the Backstreet Boys, etc. to make up for the rest.
Oh really?
Then why you where bothering with poor Russians? Why you needed us as part of this project if you knew that we are poor?

The only answer is that without us, without our technologies and our experience the ISS would'nt been constructed.
Leaders in space, my ass. Nothing can do without help of Ruskies

Last edited by Serb; August 29, 2002 at 00:50.