Old September 3, 2002, 06:13   #211
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The SU wasn't fighting in Spain out of a sense of injustice. It was there to further its own interests.

The SU under Stalin was as bad as Germany under Hitler it just confined most of its barbarism to its own borders.

And britain never wanted a pact with Nazi Germany
Old September 3, 2002, 06:40   #212
Akka
Prince

This thread came from France-bashing to Russia-bashing !

Serb, if you want to be bashed, make your own thread !

It's our bashing-thread !
Stop the thread-jacking !
Bash France again !
NOW !
Old September 3, 2002, 09:41   #213
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 00:58
erm... Akka... how 'bout this?

What is it about French people have the rep of being so rude?

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old September 3, 2002, 12:02   #214
Akka
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by FlameFlash
erm... Akka... how 'bout this?

What is it about French people have the rep of being so rude?
I said BASH, not TRUTH !
Old September 3, 2002, 12:03   #215
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 02:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Akka le Vil

I said BASH, not TRUTH !
Old September 3, 2002, 12:11   #216
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

*shrugs* Well, why do they have that?

*sighs* There goes my attempt at bashing... erm... the Eiffel Tower is cool?

No, wait...

Aren't their women hairy?

How's that?

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old September 3, 2002, 15:21   #217
Akka
Prince

Quote:
Aren't their women hairy?

How's that?
Much better. Now, it would be cool if others could follow.
Old September 3, 2002, 15:51   #218
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

You guys left us here and we were invaded by England...
You deserve everything you get from the US.
Old September 3, 2002, 16:47   #219
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Serb

Oh, I see now. Thank you.
Then I can answer this.

....because you exterminated *your* minorities long ago, when you just have started your existance as state. The remaining were put in reservations. If we used such policy toward our minorities, I guess we don't have any problems with them today. Our mistake , Hitler could be proud of your ways how to solve such problems.
Exterminated our Minorities along time ago? Nonsense and other comments. While the United States did some things no one would be proud of, on the whole we were better than the other Imperialist powers of the time.

For instance, *We* never had pogroms, and such programs as deporting the Chechens to Central Asia. Not to mention wiping out the Cossacks. Tsk, tsk.

Of course, we stop mass murder on the Chechen scale in....when? The 1890's? And here it is 2002 and all y'alls are still busily destroying cities, intentionally, en masse?

Quote:
And btw, you prefer to burn cities of independant states
Oh, like Budapest? Or am I thinking of SovUnion?

such as Korea[/quote]

Oh, you mean North Korea, the country that started it?

Quote:
, Vietnam
We ringed Hanoi with artillary and battered it to pieces? News to me.

Quote:
, Iraq,
We intentionally destroyed Baghdad as a viable city? News to me.

Quote:
Yougoslavia, etc.
We blasted civilian targets in Bel....

Okay, maybe that. I maintain we never intentionally destroyed a city since, oh, Hiroshima. Or Nagasaki.

Quote:
And now you are planing to invade France. Nice job, keep up the good work.
I'm guessing Political Satire cartoons haven't really caught on yet in Mother Russia(tm).
Old September 3, 2002, 17:24   #220
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I accuse Serb of excessive smiley usage.

*waves to Serb* Fight that flag-waving fight, brother!

-Arrian, the capitalist pig-dog

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 4, 2002, 09:07   #221
FlameFlash
Emperor

Looks like the thread has been permanently jacked...

Old September 5, 2002, 08:54   #222
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 13:58
Arrian,
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ourforces.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	23635  
Old September 5, 2002, 09:12   #223
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger
The SU wasn't fighting in Spain out of a sense of injustice. It was there to further its own interests.
What interests?
The only reason was to help Spanish communist fight vs. Spanish fascists.
Communists always were the most hated enemies of Fascists.
And how do you think it could be that SU and nazi Germany could be allied before 1941, as you said.
Stalin was 100% sure that sooner or later SU will fought vs. nazi Germany. And Stalin was shoked after Germany attacked SU, not because he consider fascist as trustworthly freind, but because he realized that it was Hitler who tricked him and striked first, while Stalin beleived that he won some time with that treaty. Time needed to prepare country for war.

Quote:
The SU under Stalin was as bad as Germany under Hitler it just confined most of its barbarism to its own borders.
And that's why allied leaders allied with Stalin's Russia in war vs. Hitlers Germany?

Quote:
And britain never wanted a pact with Nazi Germany
Sure it wanted Hitler to go and get Stalin and made gifts to Hitler such as Cezhoslovakia. But Hitler declared war on Britain instead of it.
Old September 5, 2002, 09:15   #224
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Britain and France declared war on Germany, not the other way around.
Old September 5, 2002, 09:16   #225
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Akka le Vil
This thread came from France-bashing to Russia-bashing !
It happens all the time.

Quote:
Stop the thread-jacking !Bash France again !NOW !
I can't. I don't think that French can't fight. They are fine warriors. France would never become a great colonial power if its military wasn't good. Why everybody refering to WW2? What about Napoleon times?
Old September 5, 2002, 09:20   #226
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
Britain and France declared war on Germany, not the other way around.
Sure, but did you had an opportunity to do not declare it? Did Hitler predicted such flow of events when he decided to attack Poland?
Old September 5, 2002, 09:25   #227
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

He predicted Britain would declare war in 1938 over Czechoslovakia. He felt cheated out of his war when they didn't.

He was being beligerrant. The French and British wanted peace, but they did not want an alliance - else they would never have declared war at all. The SU certainly were not averse to an alliance, however.
Old September 5, 2002, 09:45   #228
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar

Exterminated our Minorities along time ago? Nonsense and other comments. While the United States did some things no one would be proud of, on the whole we were better than the other Imperialist powers of the time.
What about Native Americans? Show me one single state populated by Native Americans? You occupy lands which belong to Native Americans, you killed majority of them long time ago and destroyed them as nation. This is a true genocide, not Chechnya or Ukrainian famine, because both Ukrainians and Chechens survived as nationality untill nowdays. I can't say the same about Native Americans.
Quote:
For instance, *We* never had pogroms, and such programs as deporting the Chechens to Central Asia. Not to mention wiping out the Cossacks. Tsk, tsk.
Chechens were departed during WW2, because many of them joined nazi and fought vs. Soviets. Is it somehow different from departation of Americans who had Japanese roots? I guess yes, because departated Americans never fought on Japan side, but still were departated.

Quote:
Of course, we stop mass murder on the Chechen scale in....when? The 1890's? And here it is 2002 and all y'alls are still busily destroying cities, intentionally, en masse?
Of course. Because you killed all of them in 1890 and throw small number of survived into reservations. If we used the same metonds at the end of 19 century, then today we don't have any problems with Chechens. As well as you don't have with Native Americans.

Quote:
Oh, you mean North Korea, the country that started it?

We ringed Hanoi with artillary and battered it to pieces? News to me.

We intentionally destroyed Baghdad as a viable city? News to me.

We blasted civilian targets in Bel.... Okay, maybe that. I maintain we never intentionally destroyed a city since, oh, Hiroshima. Or Nagasaki.
Not only in Belgrad, but in all those countries you mentioned above. And your charges to Russians sounds pretty funny, considering that its American strategy to inflict as much more damage to enemy (who care about civilians ) from safe distance, to avoid casualties of its ground forces. Firebombing of Dresden, Hiroshima and Nagasaky, napalm bombardments in Vietnam, chemical and biological warfare in Korea, bombardments of irrigation systems in Iraq, bombardments of chemical plants in Yugoslavia wich caused leaks of poison into water and ground, etc, etc.

Quote:
Oh, like Budapest? Or am I thinking of SovUnion?
We intentionally destroyed Budapest as a viable city? News to me.

Quote:
I'm guessing Political Satire cartoons haven't really caught on yet in Mother Russia(tm).
Old September 5, 2002, 12:19   #229
FlameFlash
Emperor

Quote:
Serb said this...
What about Native Americans? Show me one single state populated by Native Americans? You occupy lands which belong to Native Americans, you killed majority of them long time ago and destroyed them as nation. This is a true genocide, not Chechnya or Ukrainian famine, because both Ukrainians and Chechens survived as nationality untill nowdays. I can't say the same about Native Americans.
Now there's something I can respond to... I am Native American. Chippewa and Cherokee, to be more specific... two of the more... civilized (and proud) tribes.

Our peoples were given lousy land in exchange for the land that was taken from us... especially with the fact that we were originally promised that we wouldn't be bothered... however those treaties didn't last long.

However, you also have to look at the fact that the US is a smelting pot, of sorts. As generations go by, I'm unfortunately only an 1/8 blood tied to my Native American heritage... I'm annoyingly/proudly also an equally part Irish. There wasn't genocide... there was assimilation and part of any genocide you might bring up was just for the fact that the original peoples here in the US weren't well-equipped for your European illnesses and had to develop immunities to them.

Now how are we to blame that on any one nation or race? Was it simply a fault that as a people Native Americans hadn't needed those internal defenses before? Or did the evil Europeans that arrived intend to give us their diseases?

The US cannot wholly be blamed for Native American assimilation... the Spanish, French, and UK all had parts to play as well.

Quote:
Chechens were departed during WW2, because many of them joined nazi and fought vs. Soviets. Is it somehow different from departation of Americans who had Japanese roots? I guess yes, because departated Americans never fought on Japan side, but still were departated.
/me shruggs.

I'm not one to say that the US history is without faults or not... I'm just one to say that I wouldn't put up with it if it happened today, and do my level best to see that racial problems are smoothed over.

Idealist: yes
Practical: probably not

but it's all I can do as a citizen... and of course even I sometimes judge a person wrongly when they're not dressed or appear right. Everybody does at some point or another, no matter how hard they try.

Quote:
Of course. Because you killed all of them in 1890 and throw small number of survived into reservations. If we used the same metonds at the end of 19 century, then today we don't have any problems with Chechens. As well as you don't have with Native Americans.
Your assumption that my people are or would be a problem seems rather disturbing... I'm not going to say any more on it simply because I also happen to have a little Czech blood...

I may be an American mutt... but I'm proud of the heritages that come together to put me together genetically... and I'm more proud of my Native American heritage than of the others. (French, English, and German of course play a minor role in my heritage as well... for obvious European invasion reasons.)

The rest of Serb's comments I have no knowledge of nor will attempt to say that I do...

Old September 5, 2002, 14:09   #230
rob.derosa
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

In 1900 Russia's GNP was 5th in the world, behind the US, the British empire, the French empire and Germany.
Mmm, I think the British Empire should go before the USA, as I believe the GNP was higher for the British Empire than the US.

And also someone also put that the Brits were invaded by the Germans before (I can't be arsed to find it again ), let me make this clear, the Brits were NOT invaded by the Germans, and the British Isles have not been invaded successfully for 1000 years (since 1066), can anyone beat that then?