Old August 27, 2002, 14:08   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 06:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Forbidden Palace Strategies: Emperor-Diety
On large map, Emperor level. I am always stumped on my forbidden palace it always comes down to this:

I am trying to weigh the benifit of an early forbidden palace and a second core group of cities VS. the cost of building the forbidden palace somewhat close to your capital.

If you get a great leader what criteria need to be met to use him on a forbidden palace?

How far away does the new capital need to be from the old?

Lets say you have a new core of cities right next to your original core with the palace. the middle city has iron, hills, resources and is great for a palace. it is surrounded buy 6 good cities. right next to it is your palace core city group surrounded by 6 cities. Is this too close to build the forbidden palace? Some of these cities are still at one shield...
Old August 27, 2002, 14:54   #2
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 22:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
My philosophy on the FP.

1) It doubles your empire, so the earlier the better.
2) It should be far away from the Palace, because any overlap is a waste of corruption fighting.

I usually take 2 things into consideration.

1)My land mass.
2)My current status on Great Leaders.

The easy choices.

If I have a GL to use, I'll burn it on the FP in a city far away from my Palace Core (often on another land mass).

The harder choices.

If I don't have or probably will not get a GL, I build it somewhat close to the Palace. It still builds quickly and expands your low curruption zone (I call it a SuperCore). A supercores is better than a normal core, but it's less than a double core (corruption fighting is lost from overlaping). The supercore is always a temporary set-up. When I have a supercore I focus on getting a GL so I can Palace jump and get to the optimal double core set-up.

Artifex - Your specific situation is right in the gray area. My advise would be to take advise from a player who is better at Civ3 than I am.
Old August 27, 2002, 15:04   #3
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 06:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I am thinking that this GL will be better spent on Sistine Chapel now. I am on emperor and I will risk losing that wonder. I'm playing japan so I am building alot of cheap cathedralsa so sistine is a msut. I am thinking it will be a waste of a gl to build it that close , I should probably build it manually if I build it that close...if at all.
Old August 27, 2002, 15:25   #4
Jawa Jocky
Prince

I agree the GL would be better for the Sistine. It sounds like a courthouse and some serious mining are in your future.

I was wonder if it is my imagination or if this really happens. When you build the FP and add cities to your empire the corruption seems to increase and requires more time. I swear I've gone from 6 turns left to 10 turns left with changing that city.
Old August 28, 2002, 00:41   #5
itsagreenday
Settler

Since I've never built a palace, what happens to the culture from the old one?
Old August 28, 2002, 14:30   #6
Jawa Jocky
Prince

You keep the culture earned. The new Palace starts over with culture.

It's a bad idea if you are going for the single city culture victory

I'm only 99% sure on this.