Old August 29, 2002, 19:47   #31
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 01:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I now support suing for rheims (sp), and anything else with it. Chartres will be ours through culture eventually.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:06   #32
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 00:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
I think suing for peace in exchange for additional towns is a bad idea. Most of the towns France has to offer are of no real use for us. In fact, other than Chartres they're all pretty much useless to us.
We need to trade with France in exchange for Feudalism. If we can move our forces in a way that would threaten another French town the French might drop the price slightly but I believe we'd still have to pay for Feudalism in the end, even if we offer a RoP along with a peace treaty.
I think we should take all the useless cities they give us and give them away to civs we want to stay friendly with, at least until we're ready to pluck them like juicy ripe fruit.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:10   #33
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Get a decent night's sleep ....
yada yada yada
..... for future successes.

El Presidente
MrWIA
QUOTE HAS BEEN EDITED TO SAVE TREES
Alright, then. Problem fixed. Let's cut off the President's arm and let bygones be bygones.

Who's got the blade?
Old August 29, 2002, 20:39   #34
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 18:59

I'm not quite sure how to take that!

Did I not manage to pass the buck sufficiently?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 29, 2002, 20:51   #35
Epistax
Prince

fits all scenarios.

"My wife left me."
"I won the lottery."
"Boy ice cream tastes good."
"Where is my leg?"
Old August 29, 2002, 20:54   #36
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Epistax
"Boy ice cream tastes good."
yeah we only get vanilla and chocolate where I live.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:56   #37
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

You did a good job MWIA, my initial anger was the of the just waking up and being shocked variety. One question left, if you caught the nw error, how did we end up one turn behind?.
1 turn ne,n
1,turn n
attack
I was just wondering.
What I would have done with the archer was attack first then if we had spare people counter attack, but it would depend on more things than could be put into a turnthread so it is nobody's fault, just the fortunes of war. Actually this increaes the realism of the game experience, just as in real life orders aren't always followed perfectlydue to communication problems. That is a big arguement for turnchats in wartime and turn thread in peacetime. But I realize this can't always be since RL intervines. Still , for the turn we gained much. Once again I apoligize for the outburst and anger this morning.
Aggie
Old August 29, 2002, 21:01   #38
Epistax
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD

yeah we only get vanilla and chocolate where I live.
girl ice cream is better.

(Please note in cases where Epistax forgets a puncuation mark, it is due to his stupidity and ineptitude, not any form of cunning trickery. If any cunning trickery occures, please be aware that it was an accident. mmm... boy...)
Old August 29, 2002, 21:07   #39
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

No worries, Aggie. I understand mornings. Unfortunately I haven't yet had the chance to leave my room (it's 1pm here!) due to all the urgent replying.

The one turn behind was in relation to the Sword Army attacking Marseilles. Your orders had that at 230 BC (IIRC), but we didn't reach the outskirts until then. I continued to 210 BC just to carry out that attack.

Epi - girl ice cream? Is that another name for pie?

OK, so how many are posting drunk again?

OPD, Epistax(?), and who else?

Old August 29, 2002, 21:13   #40
Epistax
Prince

nah! i can't get drunk itza thurzday! i can only get drunk before the weekend, and thats... ... ... in a few days. anyway
Old August 29, 2002, 22:14   #41
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

MWIA, Chiquita is correct.
Old August 30, 2002, 00:34   #42
Donal Graeme
Warlord

Local Time: 22:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
After reading this post I can honestly say that I have never been more confused in my entire life.
Old August 30, 2002, 01:35   #43
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Questions for me, Donal?

Old August 30, 2002, 05:41   #44
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:59
Rouen is just next the last row of mountains ; if it is ours, the nomansland is entirely made of mountains which is perfect for defense. If Rouen stays in the hands of the French, who knows what could happen in the future. Who wants the Romans in Rouen ?
Old August 30, 2002, 12:23   #45
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Okay definitely want Rouen now. Rouen is a useless garbage dump of a city but directly west of it is a location for a city that would gain us an extra iron.

I repeat that I think we should make peace with the French and Germans and NOT take Chartres, Rheims, or Munich. We can't take those cities, only destroy them. Consider it cultivation of Christmas Hams. When the're ripe and juicy we take them.

Right now I think we should concentrate on building up the size and capabilities of our cities so we can compete with the Greeks, Germans, Aztecs, and Romans. A lot of 2-3 size cities are gonna have an uphill battle against a lot of 6-8 size cities.

Oh and the arm thing, nothing personal, your still the President oh great one-armed one.
Old August 30, 2002, 19:38   #46
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Update: Top post updated with a hopeful time for the chat.

Sorry it took until now, but Saturday this week is bad for me. Things change next week.

As in they get better.

Old August 30, 2002, 22:08   #47
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Thank you all for making the plan so abundantly clear that even I can understand it This is in so many threads now that, once again, not even I can miss it.
Just want to make sure you don't lose another arm.........
Old August 31, 2002, 20:49   #48
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Well, I was LATE, we finished off 210 BC and THAT'S it, I decided to some approval to end it there and revise how turnchats are done (again). But the techwhoring was a MAJOR success.

Turnchat
210 BC

-AA E to threaten Rheims
-Spearman in loveshack E E
-Warrior near Antioch n
-2 Workers in Marseille skip turn
-Swordman outside of Marseilles into Marseille, fortify
Spearman in gaia fortify
-Worker stack W of Loveshack, took 1 of OUR workers and goto worker stack near termina
-Here It Is workers - skip turn
-Both Galleys move 2 square NE
-Apolyton switch from forest to whale
-Timeline - switch from road to forrest
-Seeberg, Napoleton & Geofront, build city wall immediately
-Spearman in Geofront NNN
-Peace with France for Rouen and Cherbourg
-Buy Feudalism from France for 371 gold (all our gold) and 9gpt
-Trade Feudalism w/ Russia for Rep, WM and 28g
-Trade Feudalism w/ Rome for Monarchy, WM and 54g
-Trade Monarchy w Iroqs for 19g and WM
-Feud and Monarchy to Babs for Mono, WM and 15!
-Mono to France for WM + 371g + 1gpt

In brief, we made some small moves, did a few rearrangments of workers, made Peace with France and out of the turn we netted

-Monotheism
-Monarchy
-Republic
-116 gold

and we lose 8gpt now. We have a total of 471 gold and an income of 21gpt currently.
Attached Files:

Old August 31, 2002, 21:04   #49
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

The GOOD:
Quote:

-Monotheism
-Monarchy
-Republic
-116 gold

and we lose 8gpt now. We have a total of 471 gold and an income of 21gpt currently.
20 turns X 8 gold = 160 gold
160 - 116 =44(we got our 8 gold a turn NOW, not 8 per turn)

So basicaly we got Monarchy, Monotheism, Republic, and 14 turns worth of 8gpt for well nothing.

If we go to war with France before 15 turns are up we REALLY lost nothing.

The BAD:
Quote:
-2 Workers in Marseille skip turn
What happened to building that road in the jungle tile NW of Marsilles so we could connect to the Greek Capital?
(not as BAD as the GOOD)
Old August 31, 2002, 21:05   #50
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Ick
Had I known we were actually going to make peace this turn, I would have preferred having the workers in occupied France wait instead of skip :-/ Then we could be doing some serious work in France and getting a turn ahead! Doh!!

My fault, but lessons learned for next time. :-/

Perhaps we should make it custom to WAIT all units with no orders instead of skipping a turn, that way we can wait for all diplomatic proceedings to take place? Bah, my fault though, miscommunication.

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old August 31, 2002, 21:37   #51
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Yes, yes, "wait". This "skipping" not good.
"Wait" much better.
Old August 31, 2002, 22:05   #52
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Re: Ick
Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteBandit
Had I known we were actually going to make peace this turn, I would have preferred having the workers in occupied France wait instead of skip :-/ Then we could be doing some serious work in France and getting a turn ahead! Doh!!

My fault, but lessons learned for next time. :-/

Perhaps we should make it custom to WAIT all units with no orders instead of skipping a turn, that way we can wait for all diplomatic proceedings to take place? Bah, my fault though, miscommunication.
This is likely standard practice anyway and in my haste to get things going, I just pressed "skip". Sorry, but that chat was mayhem. We must make sure no President or VP needs to face that situation again. It can do nothing but cause problems.

Old August 31, 2002, 23:00   #53
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:59
Great turn, MWIA. Those techwhoring stuff really works!

Note: I never been in a turnchat (I’ve tried, once), But seems the turnthreads works better. Less emotion, maybe, for the people usually in those chats. However, less (natural) mistakes, too.
Old September 1, 2002, 05:25   #54
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Peace with France for Rouen and Cherbourg
-Buy Feudalism from France for 371 gold (all our gold) and 9gpt
-Trade Feudalism w/ Russia for Rep, WM and 28g
-Trade Feudalism w/ Rome for Monarchy, WM and 54g
-Trade Monarchy w Iroqs for 19g and WM
-Feud and Monarchy to Babs for Mono, WM and 15!
-Mono to France for WM + 371g + 1gpt[/B]
This is not what I ordered. What I ordered was clearly posted in the turnchat thread for 210 and it is listed below:

Quote:
Peace Terms for France:
Sue for peace AFTER Rheims destroyed and French counter-attack routed. (two turns from now)
Demand: Feudalism. Pay additional funds if necessary.
If cities available, priority 1) Chartres 2) Rouen.
Push for as much as possible.
Do not agree to RoP with France.

Tech Trading
After aquiring Feudalism from France, trade it to Aztecs for Monarchy and whatever else you can get.
Sell Feudalism to Rome for as much profit as possible. If we had to pay Joan for Feudalism, sell her Monarchy to recoup our expenses.
While I don't mind the additional trading to Babylon and France that netted us Monotheism and most of our money back, what I DO mind is that I specifically ordered something that was expressly not followed.

The President is not given the authority to make or veto diplomatic decisions made by the Foreign Ministry.

I'd better have an apology in my PM box by tomorrow. I'm extremely p***ed off about this. This will not happen ever again, I can assure you.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old September 1, 2002, 08:47   #55
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 02:59
No offence to anybody in particular, but that turn chat was a farce. Over 2 hours of playing, we got through mabee 1/2 of a turn. Not acceptable. There was miscommunication all over the place; people were not prepaired; and overall organization did not exist.

Togas, I wish to appoloigize, because what occured was to some extent my fault.

We need to fix this system, if it is to work. Think I will start a thread about this.....and how to fix it.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old September 1, 2002, 10:32   #56
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:59
A dumb question: why did we not trade any tech with the Aztecs? Just curious, no criticizing.
Old September 1, 2002, 10:43   #57
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:59
The backward Aztecs have nothing to offer in return.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 1, 2002, 11:07   #58
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:59
Why not post the new 210 BC save in a new thread ..?
Old September 1, 2002, 14:48   #59
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I also share responsibility for the Foreign Ministry Issue.

I had every intention of being at the Turnchat, and had I been there I would have recognized that those were not Togas' orders.

I owe an apology to the Demo Game community -- my access to the net went down, and I didn't make the chat as I'd intended to, which meant that (persumably) there was no one to take over for Togas when he had to leave.

There was also confusion due to the fact that in the discussion thread for the topic the Foreign Ministry did not post that this plan was not currently in the orders, and was not to be followed unless it was added.

I also will assume some of the responsibilty for this confusion. I PMmed back and forth with Togas once or twice on the issue, trying to see if there was any way we could incorperate this into our plans while still addressing any concerns. When it became time for the chat, however, I should have posted that it is currently not in the orders and (as such) should not be followed unless Togas adds it in.

One thing that I hope the Constitutional Convention will address is Tech Trade powers -- currently, the power is granted to the Foreign Minister but many citizens seem to feel that the Science Minister has power in this area too, which might have contributed to the confusion as Apoc came out in support of this plan. This clearly needs to be clarified. I will also push for a more formal system of submitting orderes -- right now, we have orders posted in several places, plus standing orders in some Office Threads (I know our office thread has generic standing orders). We clearly need a place where all finalized orders will be posted or sent, and any updates must be made there. That way, in a case like this, it would be easy to check if this plan had been added into the Orders.

My apologies to Togas, MWIA, and anyone else who was affected by these events for my part in them. Hopefully we can put this behind us, make a few reforms to prevent it from happening again, and continue on with the wonderful job that this administration has been doing as a whole.

-- adaMada

EDIT: Clarity

Last edited by adaMada; September 1, 2002 at 16:37.
Old September 1, 2002, 15:07   #60
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:59
Togas:

I too was extremely pissed that your plans were not followed not only because it was the best way forward but also as other plans had been based on your plans.

I tried to kick up a fuss about it in the chat but I had nothing to back me up as you didn't post any orders in the "turnchat orders for 210bc" thread.

At the time I was extremely pissed!!! but the fact that the tech whoring went so well means that its not such a big deal.

2 hours to do 1/2 a turn is just ridiculous. With so mich crap floating around it's no wonder some orders go astray. MWIA did a good chat under the circumstances and the idea of having a pre turnthread chat is a good one.

Last edited by OPD; September 1, 2002 at 15:12.