Old August 27, 2002, 19:40   #1
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 07:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Poll: $mini-game How do you feel about the solutions?
I am very interested in how you feel about the current solutions offered to the three basic problems we encountered in the first turns of the $mini-game. This to decide which ones to introduce in the next turn (GhengisFarb proposed to start the next turn ASAP). All players are invited to express their opinion. If you do not currently play in the game but closely followed it, feel free to add your opinion here too.

All solutions are described shortly. In case you did not read the discussions I provide more information in the second post.

To express your opinion you are requested to use the format I used in post 3. Explanations of your choices are appreciated but not required.

Demand/Supply
Solution1
Keep the current Demand/Supply system. Solve the demand/Supply system with buildings

Solution2
Introduce the concept of subproducts and bonusses.
Food demand: 2 x population (no changes)
Food supply: Equal to the production of the city tile (=2)
Commerce demand: Population multiplied times our current Annual Income (Currently $3 per capita).
Commerce supply: Production of the city tiles.
Shield demand:still debated in this thread
Labor market: As is but introduce the concept of "servants"

Solution 3
Demand: Add corruption/waste instead of subtracting it.
Supply: Do not make the nobles estates part of the basic supply. If all lands are sold this defaults to the production of city tiles (2 food, 1 shield, 3 commerce). Therefore it was decided that, if this solution is selected, we first introduce supply as the production of city tiles and if that causes problems define supply as indicated in this model.

Buildings
Solution 1
Add the following buildings: Storehouse, Tavern, Shop, Bakery and Bank
One free storehouse for every noble

Trade proposals
Solution 1
The nobles specify the amount of the commodity they want to sell/buy and their minimum/maximum price. The price they receive
will be equal to the calculated D:S unless D:S is lower/higher than the minimum price in which case the commodity is not sold/bought.

Last edited by Franses; August 28, 2002 at 09:01.
Old August 27, 2002, 19:45   #2
Franses
King

This post provides more information regarding the proposed solutions. For detailed discussion see the "main thread and directory" and "how to balance supply and demand".

Trade proposals
Solution 1:
I refer to my earlier post in this thread regarding this issue. The solution is generalized and is:

The nobles specify the amount of the commodity they want to sell/buy and their minimum/maximum price. The price they receive will be equal to the calculated D:S unless D:S is lower/higher than the minimum price in which case the commodity is not sold/bought.

example:
Market Assesment 4:4=$100
OneGuy offers one commerce and sets a minimum price of $70
SecondGuy offers two commerce and sets a minimum price of $0
ThirdGuy offers one commerce and sets a minimum price of $40

The turn is closed. Final D:S=4:8=$50
OneGuy does not sell his commerce at this price so he is taken out of the equation. New final D:S=4:7=$57
SecondGuy and Thirdguy now sell their commerce at $57.

Advantages:
1. Solves the problem of unacceptable price influencing as described by Epistax
2. Nobles only need to specify their deals once
3. System is fair to people that do not have the time to visit the forum at the end of the turn
4. The banker has a lot less work
5. D:S has to be calculated at the end of the turn only
6. Turn may close before the pre-specified time (as soon as all nobles have posted).

Buildings
Solution 1:
IMO, the main reason for the rejection of the proposed buildings was the cost. The payback time was just too high (see also my post in this thread and Epistax/UnOrthOdOx analysis in above posts. I suggest the following buildings (most of them equal to the original proposal of GhengisFarb):

STOREHOUSE (Costs 2 shields/labor) stores up to 20 commodities (including food).

TAVERN (Costs 3 shields/labor) allows you to sell up to 2 food per turn at a 50% bonus.

SHOPPE (Costs 3 shields/labor) allows you to sell up to 2 commerce per turn at a 50% bonus.

SMITHY (Costs 4 shields/labor) allows you to sell up to 2 shields per turn at a 50% bonus.

BAKERY (Cost 10 shields/labor) converts upto 2 food into 2 bread (1 food into 1 bread).
The default price of bread is $100.
Bread can not be stored.
Demand of bread is equal to the population of the city the bakery is build in.
Supply of bread is equal to the population of the city the bakery is build in.
Market assessment D:S = 100% = $100
The city a bakery is build in must be specified

BANK (Cost 10 shields/labor) converts upto 2 commerce into 2 loans (1 commerce into 1 loan).
A loan can not be stored.
Demand of a loan is equal to the population of the city the bank is build in.
Supply of a loan is equal to the population of the city the bank is build in.
Market assessment D:S = 100% = $100
The city a bank is build in must be specified.

Demand/Supply
Solution 1:
I propose to keep the current Demand/Supply system.
The existing problems can be solved by enabling the nobles to influence the supply chain. This is realized by defining buildings that convert food and commerce into other commodities. Many of the other proposals will fail if more land is auctioned to new players adding more supply to the process.
Short term problems will remain, so I suggest to provide one storehouse (see below) for free to all nobles. With it they can
anticipate on what will happen if the conversion buildings come on-line.

Solution 2:
PRODUCTION IS TO BE DIVIDED INTO SUB PRODUCTS
All subProducts compete against one another in the same Market, that is Bananas, Grain, and Venison all affect the Food

Market Demand:Supply line.
The only difference between them is the bonus to the final sale price.

SubProduct(Market)
FOOD MARKET
Bananas(Food) - food produced from Jungle tiles(receives a 10% bonus to final sell price)
Grain(Food) - food produced from Grassland/Plains tiles
Venison(Food) - food produced from Forest tiles (receives a 25% bonus to final sell price)

SHIELD MARKET
Timber(Shield) - shields produced from Forest tiles
Bricks(Shield) - shields produced from Grassland/Plains tiles
Stone(Shield) - shields produced from Mountain/Hills tiles
*Bonus on these products varies based on what was built in the previous session of Democracy Gameplay.

COMMERCE MARKET
Commerce - All base commerce is generic, will introduce business that will convert it to refined commerce.

DEMAND AND SUPPLY LINES - BASE NUMBERS
The current system will not work as more members become involved and the game progresses. Basically our system isn't based on supply and demand, the demand number for food is correct, but the supply isn't and the sources for the other commodities aren't correct demand OR supply numbers (except Labor).

FOOD MARKET SYSTEM
I propose that the Food DEMAND source stay the same (2xPop). The Food SUPPLY base number be changed to represent the food generated from the city tiles, which I believe will be 2 for each city.

Secondly, there will be more food supplied than demanded. Therefore we could say that the government buys all excess food
(food not sold, and that which did not meet contract conditions) at 50% of the closing price. It basically purchases the excess at a bulk discount and distributes it to the military ranks.

SHIELD MARKET SYSTEM
I will work out the exact specifics later and am open to suggestions, but as of right now the only examples I can think of are:
Timber gets a 10% bonus to final sale price for every wooden ship built or upgraded to during previous session of turn plays.

Brick and Stone get a 10% bonus for every temple/aqueduct built during previous session of turn plays.

This should represent the rise in price following a sudden demand for the product.

Have no idea where the Demand number should come from. The SUPPLY number should be the production from the city tile (1 shield per city I believe) and whatever the nobles sell.

COMMERCE MARKET SYSTEM
The DEMAND number is the Markets Pop (heads in cities) multiplied times our current Annual Income (Currently $3 per capita).

The SUPPLY number is the production of the city tiles and whatever the players sell.

LABOR MARKET SYSTEM
Stays the same with the following twist:
Each noble has one labor, representing your servants, vassals, slaves whatever you want to think of them as. Remember, we're just entering the Middle Ages that's how society worked. The city squares are independent municipalities of freemen. They have labor you can hire to build projects faster (you have one free labor per turn from your servants) or to build in their city. Each labor market is specific to the city. You have to hire labor to build/operate your business from the city your building/operating in.

Support for Labor
You have to feed your private labor or they will starve. Each labor you own eats 1/2 of a food per turn. If you only have 1 labor then the effect is ignored and we simply assume they subsisted on scraps from your table and squirrels off your lands.

YOU CAN OBTAIN ADDITIONAL LABOR, and thus build up your Labor supply. Where do they come from? Every time our forces capture an enemy settler/worker we will put up a new labor for sale in the next trading session. That's where the Romans got their workers, that's how the Normans treated the Saxons, it's historic. When we leave the Middle Ages we'll do something to emancipate the vassals and go to an alternate form of paying them, but by then we'll be making a heck of lot more money.

Solution 3
Here are the D:S calculations if we make the nobles' estates (attached picture) not to be part of the basic supply :

Apolyton produces 6 food, 5 shields and 3 commerce from nobles' estates (Franses, civman2000, Kloreep)
Termina produces 2 food, 1 shield, and 1 commerce from nobles' estates (Rendelnep)
Tassagrad has a wholly independent production
BHQ produces 4 food, 2 shields and 4 commerce from nobles' estates (Captain and Kramerman)

Then, basic supply is :
Apolyton : 4 food, 2 shields, 5 commerce
Termina : 4 food, 2 shields, 2 commerce
Tassagrad : 8 food, 4 shields, 4 commerce
BHQ : 6 food, 3 shields, 5 commerce

Total basic supply : 22 food, 13 shields, 16 commerce

These figures didn't take corruption / waste into account. They were calculated from the raw production of lands.

Now, if we consider corruption / waste ADDS to demand rather than substracting from it, the base demand is :
Apolyton : 10 food, 8 commerce, 7 shields
Termina : 6 food, 3 shields, 3 commerce
Tassagrad : 8 food, 4 shields, 4 commerce
BHQ : 10 food, 5+1 shields, 9+2commerce.

Total demand : 34 food, 21 shields, 25 commerce

Comment: If all lands are sold, the basic supply will always default to the supply of the city tile (which by the way equals solution 2). In fact, if a few more players would have taken part, this would have been the case from the start of the game. So why not start with basic supply = city tile production from the beginning and avoid adding extra calculations that are needed for the first couple of turns only?

As a reaction to the comment it was agreed to use the city tile approach first, simply because this equals solution 2 and is the final (if not start) result of this model. If there appear to be unbalances that can be repared by this model, we switch.
Old August 27, 2002, 19:47   #3
Franses
King

Demand/Supply
Solution 1: my favourite
Solution 2: Abstain but I would like to introduce the idea of "servants". IMO this can be introduced independent of the solution preferred by the nobles.
Solution 3: ok with me

Buildings
Solution 1: Implement it

Trade proposals
Solution 1: Implement it
Old August 27, 2002, 19:57   #4
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 01:59
I am confused about the style of the answer.

Demand/Supply:
1) Yes, to see if things even out.
2) Wait on this.
3) Same (no prob)

Buildings:
1) Yes

Trade proposals:
1) yes

uhg these ballots are confusing!
Old August 27, 2002, 20:19   #5
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 00:59
SUGGEST YOU MAKE EACH PROPOSAL A DIFFERENT COLOR SO ITS EASIER TO TELL WHICH ONE'S WHICH.

Demand/Supply
Solution 1: Think it addresses some problems but won't completely fix them.

Solution 2: My favorite (go figure) as it not only addresses current problems but future ones as well. This system should work for the rest of the game.

Like the idea of every noble having a free labor and being able to acquire more as our armies capture enemy civilians.

Solution 3: Same economic engine as 2, without the bells and whistles.

Buildings
Solution 2: Allows players to create finished goods to sell at a higher price, also allows players to eventually build a multi-tier production system and "chains" of business. Under this system you could play the game without owning land, you could simply own a chain of Taverns.

Trade proposals
Solution 1: Would be good at the end of the Industrial Age, right now I think the rule that any transaction must be VALID WHEN ITS OFFERED is more in keeping with the flavor of the game. It allows for controlled manipulation and thats how our markets should be as we're hardly into the Middle Ages. The sell below $40 or sell No less than $30 is fine as long as they actually have to think about where they want their price to be.
Old August 28, 2002, 09:00   #6
Franses
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
SUGGEST YOU MAKE EACH PROPOSAL A DIFFERENT COLOR SO ITS EASIER TO TELL WHICH ONE'S WHICH.
Done! Hope this helps.
Old August 28, 2002, 09:26   #7
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 02:59
How can we make these the rules? I really like buildings solution #1.
Old August 28, 2002, 09:57   #8
Epistax
Prince

sky, you don't play.

only land/store owners may vote

*gets hit by over a hundred years of oppression in the US*

owe
Old August 28, 2002, 10:29   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

Actually, I DO own land. I just bought some.
Old August 28, 2002, 10:39   #10
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Franses

Done! Hope this helps.
No, make the WHOLE option a different color.

Why is Solution 1 three different colors?

Quote:
Originally posted by Epistax
sky, you don't play.

only land/store owners may vote

*gets hit by over a hundred years of oppression in the US*
Yeah, you filthy peasants.

It's good to be the Noble.
Old August 28, 2002, 10:40   #11
Franses
King

And even if he did not: I also invited non-players. That is why I did not use a regular poll.

Reason:
In one of the latest polls we noticed that 37 people voted. Much more than there are players. By not using a regular poll but this thread instead we can discriminate between actual players and non-players. We may decide later regarding what influence the non-players have on the actual decisions but this way we at least get the opinion of all those interested in this game.
Old August 28, 2002, 10:46   #12
Franses
King

Quote:

No, make the WHOLE option a different color.

Why is Solution 1 three different colors?
Ah, I see your point now. Sorry. The idea was to number all solutions for each issue at hand. There are three solutions provided for the Demand/Supply issue, so one has to be selected. There is only 1 solution provided for Buildings and 1 solution for Trade Proposals. This means that for these issues the poll in fact is a Yes/No poll.
Old August 28, 2002, 10:52   #13
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

1) How come my building system wasn't listed?

2) Nobody wants to play with my Bananas.

( That sounds bad................)
Old August 28, 2002, 11:07   #14
Kuciwalker
Deity

A question about the loans - does the 15 turns free thing mean 15 trading sessions?
Old August 28, 2002, 11:51   #15
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
A question about the loans - does the 15 turns free thing mean 15 trading sessions?
Yep, but if you miss one, it still counts against the loan time.

EDIT:Withdrawn
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	markets.gif
Views:	52
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	23129  

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; August 28, 2002 at 19:32.
Old August 28, 2002, 15:12   #16
Kuciwalker
Deity

Do I have 15 trading sessions from the time I took out the loan or from the start of the game?
Old August 28, 2002, 15:17   #17
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Hey, Ghengis, do you mind continuing our deal until some rules are worked out and finalized so I can then learn them? I don't really have time to go through all of that above right now.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 28, 2002, 15:44   #18
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
Hey, Ghengis, do you mind continuing our deal until some rules are worked out and finalized so I can then learn them? I don't really have time to go through all of that above right now.
I'd be okay with it, any chance of reducing my "rent" to $100 though, I'm going broke here. (and I'm the Banker )

But the system I'm proposing isn't as complicated as it sounds. Its pretty much the same system (different sources for the original supply/demand numbers) just called food/shields different names to allow a greater variety of stuff to make more profitable finished goods from and a % bonus to the versions that are more rare.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; August 28, 2002 at 17:49.
Old August 28, 2002, 15:52   #19
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Oh, any of the three or four systems, really, I just don't have time to mess learning all of them.

$100 is fine. In fact, I said it was unfair to you earlier, and asked you for a fair price somewhere in the turns 1 and 2 thread. But, I guess I got a turn or two extra....hehehe.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 28, 2002, 16:03   #20
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Do I have 15 trading sessions from the time I took out the loan or from the start of the game?
The next trading session be 1 of the 15 (meaning you don't have any interest until after the next 15 trading sessions).

I just noticed something about the Finished Goods:

"Beer, Jerky, Bread" pretty much sums up the "bogey bait" an American soldier takes with 'em to the field.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; August 28, 2002 at 16:10.
Old August 28, 2002, 17:46   #21
Kuciwalker
Deity

Thank god about the loan thing.
Old August 28, 2002, 18:15   #22
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

EDIT: withdrawn

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; August 28, 2002 at 19:31.
Old August 28, 2002, 18:22   #23
Epistax
Prince

If that passes (#2 building), then I'll forget about my building in termina. 10 shields is bad enough, but 15? No way that could possibly be done during the grace period.
Old August 28, 2002, 18:46   #24
Franses
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Epistax
If that passes (#2 building), then I'll forget about my building in termina. 10 shields is bad enough, but 15? No way that could possibly be done during the grace period.
I fully agree. As mentioned before, I think the earlier building proposal was rejected just because of these high prices. That is why I reduced the prices and now people support them. (not so many posted their opinion yet so I have to be carefull here )

Ghengis, I do not see the need for this second proposal. In the first I copied many of your earlier ideas (except for the prices). Why not start with that and see where it gets us. Later on if we have some experience with buildings we can always add other ones. Is this approach acceptable for you?
Old August 28, 2002, 19:29   #25
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Okay, consider proposal 2 withdrawn.

If no one has an objection I'm going to give Captain tile #30 (valued at $1500) as his FULL compensation for previous service. It was the tile he told me to get for him depending on what people decided about the compensation package.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; August 28, 2002 at 19:37.
Old August 28, 2002, 19:53   #26
Kuciwalker
Deity

Not an objection, just a question - do you OWN tile #30? If you don't, but we can't buy it, I object STRONGLY. It wouldn't be fair to reserve tiles themselves for someone, it's only fair to give them extra money.
Old August 28, 2002, 20:25   #27
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I understand where you come from skywalker, but I think Captain should get it. After all, without him this game wouldn't be here, and his hard work deserves reward -- if he asked that his compensation be tile #30, then that's what it should be. He deserves nothing less, and lots more.

-- adaMada
Old August 28, 2002, 20:30   #28
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I support: #2 D/S (sounds simpler and more effective than the others), #1 Buildings (no alternative; they can't do harm), but I think #1 Trade Proposals is too strict and restrictive.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old August 28, 2002, 22:16   #29
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Okay, consider proposal 2 withdrawn.

If no one has an objection I'm going to give Captain tile #30 (valued at $1500) as his FULL compensation for previous service. It was the tile he told me to get for him depending on what people decided about the compensation package.
Okay consider compensation for Captain wthdrawn, sheesh, you people are vicious!

Just for the record: The reason the buildings in plan 2 were more expensive was becuase they weren't designed for everybody, that is with 2's D:S lines you could do perfectly okay simply managing your estate alone.

The buildings GREATLY increased your options and profitablity and were designed to make the game more strategic for those who wanted to get more serious in the long run. In plan 1 you HAVE to build them if you want to pay your loan back and I don't think they solve the problem then. (we've added 3 players this week, meaning the supply is getting larger and larger and tweaks to the market system to accomodate current supply aren't going to permanently solve anything in my opinion, but I may be proven wrong.)

That way there would be room for those who didn't want to spend a lot of time on this and enough game depth for those who did.

But, its no skin off my nose.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; August 28, 2002 at 22:25.
Old August 28, 2002, 22:25   #30
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:59
GhengisFarb:
This is off topic, but not too much. The Mingapulco's map is here .