Old August 27, 2002, 23:05   #1
King_Xerces
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A couple Questions
Hi,

Any of you know the answers?:

How do you take a screenshot? I've heard it's possible....

I'm creating a game in the editor. Whenever I try to place a goody hut, or barbarian camp, nothing appears. Why???

Towards the end of my games, I always seem to be at negative GPT rates, even when the sliders are at ZERO!! How can I prevent this?

-Thanks
Old August 28, 2002, 01:10   #2
Txurce
Prince

Local Time: 07:00
Answering your third question... your overhead seems to be exceeding your income. Are you in democracy and have a huge army? This sort of thing is more likely to happen with a premature jump to republic from despotism at the end of the ancient era, when you aren't generarting enough gold to pay for your infrastructure.
Old August 28, 2002, 09:37   #3
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 02:00
To take a screenshot press the PrtScn button on your keyboard at the appropriate moment. Next, open a photo editing program (most printers or digital cameras come with one and one is included with MSOffice 2000 and up,) open a new image at the same size as your monitor setting and execute the paste function (Ctrl+V.) If you plan on posting your screen shot you should make the image smaller (resize) so as not to occupy too much space on the page and the server.

I am unable to answer your second question without more details as to how you are going about this. They should appear on any terrain other than water using the select overlay button (looks like stacked squares.)

For question three, try making some of your citizens tax collectors if it won't starve your cities. Or you could build wealth (not very efficient, but sometimes necessary.)
Old August 28, 2002, 10:10   #4
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 02:00
For taking screenshots I always recomend the program attached below because it is very easy to use and is free.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip swbcap20.zip (300.6 KB, 4 views)

Sell your photos
Old August 28, 2002, 10:50   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 03:00
Xerces,

For help with the negative cashflow, use the screenshot help you've gotten in this thread, and post a screenie of your civ's economic data from the top of the F1 screen, and/or post a save.

In general, the way to get and stay rich is to develop your cities. High population, roads everywhere, marketplaces, banks, courthouses/police stations, etc. Wonders can obviously help save you money, either by paying for improvement upkeep directly (Pyramids, Sun Tzu, Adam Smith), boosting your cashflow or science output (Colossus, Copernicus, Newton, SETI), or boost happiness (Oracle [which is crap, though], Hanging Gardens, Sistine, Bach's, Shakespeares [only one city, though]. Leonardo's Workshop will also save you a lot of money by halving upgrade costs. Those add up. Far and away the biggest help in becoming wealthy, however, is the Forbidden Palace, if it's positioned well.

You talk of negative cashflow despite 100% tax rate? That sounds pretty bad. Do you have a really large military? Do you have expensive trade deals? Are you in the wrong form of government ("wrong" depends on the situation)?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 28, 2002, 21:55   #6
King_Xerces
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:00
Thanks for the advice, All......

I did infact have a Massive military under democracy. For some odd reason, though, my same civ played much better when under republic.

Oh ya, another problem is that I keep " accidently " building my FP beside my capital........don't ask.

Right now, I'm playing the as the Indians, in ancient times, under despotism, and am breaking even at 30% science, and 0% luxury. Will post a screen of that soon.
Old August 29, 2002, 08:47   #7
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 08:00
I build my FP right next to my capital all the time. Then I disband the capital to move it to a further out planned city (usually all my cities are size 3 or below at this point, and the target is size 6 or so). It's a nice way to get two palaces although it's not without some risk.
Old August 29, 2002, 10:15   #8
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DrFell
I build my FP right next to my capital all the time. Then I disband the capital to move it to a further out planned city (usually all my cities are size 3 or below at this point, and the target is size 6 or so). It's a nice way to get two palaces although it's not without some risk.
Wow, DrFell, this is smart! You get a new palace for free...
What is the rule for the palace relocation? After disbanding your initial capital where does the palace move to? The city with the highest pop? Highest culture?

BTW... I guess purists might consider this an exploit...
Old August 29, 2002, 10:28   #9
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Not 100% sure of everything that affects it, but culture and size do appear to be big factors. Generally, I do it so early on that no cities have any culture improvements, and all cities are size 3 or below. Do the 'jump' the turn after you build the FP, and make sure the target city is size 6 at least. If you have any other cities above size 3, then I'd pop rush something in them that turn to cut down the size. It works every time I have made sure those conditions (all cities but the target are small, and no cities have had culture improvements for a long period of time) are satisfied.