Old August 29, 2002, 20:20   #91
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 02:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
Regardless of how many people use firearms inappropriately, that has nothing to do with me, and I should not be penalized for it. Once someone breaks the law, they should certainly be punished, but they should not be punished in advance through the stripping of property rights.
OK, we'll try a different tact then: Why do you need a gun?

And, given your statement that inappropriate use of firearms has nothing to do with you, can you tell us with 100% certainty that it is impossible for a criminal or misguided person to steal your gun and commit crimes with it? Because this happens all the time...

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old August 29, 2002, 20:22   #92
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 07:04
Quote:
OK, we'll try a different tact then: Why do you need a gun?
What's it matter? Why do you need a computer? Or a car?

Quote:
And, given your statement that inappropriate use of firearms has nothing to do with you, can you tell us with 100% certainty that it is impossible for a criminal or misguided person to steal your gun and commit crimes with it? Because this happens all the time...
I agree, but again, this does not affect my basic right to own a gun. It simply says that some people commit crimes. Surprise surprise. But my point is that regardless of the criminal activities of others, I should not be punished in an attempt to stop them.

And quite frankly, if I'm incompetent enough to let a burglar break into my house, steal my gun from right beside me, and use it on me, then I'm pretty much an idiot.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:22   #93
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 08:04
Quote:
Regardless of how many people use firearms inappropriately, that has nothing to do with me, and I should not be penalized for it. Once someone breaks the law, they should certainly be punished, but they should not be punished in advance through the stripping of property rights.
Following this logic, there should be no driving rules. After all, if you drive at 160 mph in the middle of a city, as long as you've still not killed anybody, you should not be punished in advance, right ?
Old August 29, 2002, 20:27   #94
David Floyd
Emperor

Different situation. I don't own the road, therefore I can't dictate what rules should or shouldn't be there.

I DO own myself, my gun, and my property, and therefore no rules should be placed upon me within that context.

If a city wants to pass an ordinance against walking down Main Street toting a light machine gun, fine, I can deal with that because it doesn't restrict my rights. People or organizations have the right to make rules about what others do on their property, and a public road, regardless of who owns it, certainly isn't mine.

In a perfect world, roads would be privately built and maintained, and in that context, whoever built the roads would have a say on what rules applied to them.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:29   #95
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:04
Quote:
I'm not sure what your point is about research. I've frankly never much cared what the research proves, because it is irrelevant to my belief on the subject.

Should you also have someone tell you how to build your house? Should the government not wait until your home bursts into flames and burns down your neighborhood before they penalize you?
Should you be forced to have your carr inspected? Should the government not wait for your brakes to fail and cause you to plow into that school bus before penalizing you?
What right has the government to force you to get a license to drive? What right do they have to examine your suitability to drive your possession.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:29   #96
King

Quote:

What's it matter? Why do you need a computer? Or a car?
It matters because the utility of guns to society is vastly lower than the utility of computers or cars.

If all you could do with a computer was post to Apolyton, say ( ), and several thousand people died annually due to this use, do you think that computers wouldn't be banned?

Quote:
And quite frankly, if I'm incompetent enough to let a burglar break into my house, steal my gun from right beside me, and use it on me, then I'm pretty much an idiot.
Why should my life be in danger from an armed criminal who stole your gun? In my book, I'd rather not stake my life on your competency, or anyone's. I'd rather the risk was zero.

As I said long ago in this thread, there is no way to tell whether a gun owner is 100% competent. Even he's 99% competent, even if he is a splendid, well meaning guy, there is a chance his gun could fall into the wrong hands. Why take that risk? No guns, no risk.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old August 29, 2002, 20:31   #97
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:04
Quote:
No, you're just drowsy, having been just awoken, while he is wide awake.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:32   #98
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
It matters because the utility of guns to society is vastly lower than the utility of computers or cars.
I dunno about that. Your computer won't help you if someone breaks into your house. A gun could though.

Quote:
If all you could do with a computer was post to Apolyton, say ( ), and several thousand people died annually due to this use, do you think that computers wouldn't be banned?
No, I don't think they would.

Quote:
Why should my life be in danger from an armed criminal who stole your gun? In my book, I'd rather not stake my life on your competency, or anyone's. I'd rather the risk was zero.
Again, criminals commit crimes. That's why they're called criminals. It isn't my fault if a criminal steals my car and runs over you with it, so don't hold me responsible if a criminal steals my gun and shoots you with it.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:33   #99
King

The problem I have with gun owners is that they assume that their right to own a gun doesn't put anyone's life in danger. And that's what I have an issue with.

Old August 29, 2002, 20:38   #100
Sinapus
Warlord

Local Time: 01:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Sure they do, because what's at stake here are competing natural rights, the right of one group to own dangerous objects and the right of another group to live.
Sorry, the acts of criminals do not fall under the right to own "dangerous objects". Your attempt to associate them is nothing more than a cynical attempt to exploit people's emotions so they'll gallop over to your side.

Quote:
The simple fact is that in America many more people are killed by guns each year than are saved by them.
The lowest estimate (not by Kleck, btw) is 80,000 via the National Crime Victimization Survey. Which is the number of reported defensive gun uses.

Or were you using another way of counting saved lives?

Quote:
The fact that you really seem to be completely untouched by the vast amount of suffering caused by your so called right to own a mere piece of metal ought to cause you some concern David.
The fact that you presume that someone who doesn't jump on your bandwagon must not care makes you look rather contemptible. But hey, it might fool someone into thinking your opponent is somehow less than human so you'll run with it, right?

Some people might actually blame the person responsible (you know, the one who committed the crime) instead of trying to launch a culture war against people who haven't harmed anyone.

Quote:
A few years back one of the nurses at the clinic I work at was killed in the parking lot by her boyfriend. The gun he used had been bought legally sometime back at a private gun sale. In Virginia private gun sales do not require the background check that gun stores are required to make. The man who killed her had been released from prison shortly before meeting her. he had been convicted of assaulting another woman. The truly pathetic thing about this affair was that the girl's brother had been killed by a gun during an argument with a friend of his a few years before. Her death left her parents childless.
So now you must punish all gun owners for this crime?
Anyone else you'd like to collectively punish?

A few years ago coworker of mine was murdered by her husband, who then committed suicide. AFAIK, he had no criminal record. I blame him for the crime.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:39   #101
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
The problem I have with gun owners is that they assume that their right to own a gun doesn't put anyone's life in danger. And that's what I have an issue with.
The act of me owning a gun DOESN'T put you in danger. The act of someone stealing my gun does. There's a big difference.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:41   #102
Sinapus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lars-E
How can widespread distribution of tools for destruction lead to less destruction if you have a lot of them available to almost everyone, instead of a very limited number?
Lack of easy victims.

Must be why the crime rates are higher in US cities where it is difficult for a law-abiding citizen to get a gun... and why the panicky predictions of "blood in the street" didn't materialize when laws allowing concealed carry in state after state.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:42   #103
Akka
Prince

Quote:
Different situation. I don't own the road, therefore I can't dictate what rules should or shouldn't be there.
Exact same situation, you own the car and are using it dangerously. Due to it's nature, a gun is ALWAYS dangerous. Banning guns is just a way to ban dangerous situations, just like banning excessive speed.

Quote:
I DO own myself, my gun, and my property, and therefore no rules should be placed upon me within that context.
You do own your car though. I do own my flat too. I still don't have the right to put some explosive in it, or to set it on fire. Because it's dangerous for others.

Quote:
In a perfect world, roads would be privately built and maintained, and in that context, whoever built the roads would have a say on what rules applied to them.
You're completely obessed by the idea of possession, aren't you ?
Old August 29, 2002, 20:43   #104
Akka
Prince

Quote:
The act of me owning a gun DOESN'T put you in danger. The act of someone stealing my gun does. There's a big difference.
Yeah, the act of driving like a mad does not put you in danger. It's only if you're on the way that it does.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:44   #105
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Exact same situation, you own the car and are using it dangerously. Due to it's nature, a gun is ALWAYS dangerous. Banning guns is just a way to ban dangerous situations, just like banning excessive speed.
It's different because what I do on property I own is my business, and what I do on property I don't own is up to someone else.

Quote:
I still don't have the right to put some explosive in it, or to set it on fire. Because it's dangerous for others.
No, you don't have the right to blow up or burn down your house IF that explosion or blaze damages someone else's property. You can blow up YOUR property all you want, you just can't let it extend to someone else's.

Quote:
You're completely obessed by the idea of possession, aren't you ?
It's called property ownership, actually.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:44   #106
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Yeah, the act of driving like a mad does not put you in danger. It's only if you're on the way that it does.
Actually that's correct (of course I'm not in danger unless I'm in the way), but again you're talking about a different situation.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:47   #107
Sinapus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
So, are you saying that the US has more violent criminals per capita than other nations? Why do you think that is?
Probably a legacy of the drug war.

Quote:
To stay on topic... where do these violent criminals get their guns, if there are none in society?
Well, in Washington DC they got them from....

The police.

Quote:
People don't use guns to defend themselves. It's a fallacy to assume that having a gun gives someone a better chance of surviving a violent confrontation. More likely, the hypothetical violent criminal takes the gun away from the victim, or shoots the victim first.
Bull. If you did a little bit of research you'd find out that was wrong.

Quote:
It always amazes me that people can put their 'natural' right to own a gun above the right to survival.
Except that they don't. What's amazing is your willingness to cling to ignorance because it challenges your prejudices.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:48   #108
Akka
Prince

Quote:
Actually that's correct (of course I'm not in danger unless I'm in the way), but again you're talking about a different situation.
The situation is different but the principle is the same. In both case it's acting in a way that endanger other people on the whole.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:49   #109
King

Quote:

Yes it does. Your owning a gun, in conjunction with the criminal stealing it, puts me in danger.

To prevent the danger, we can do two things:

1) Ban the criminals.

(We're trying, but I think you'll agree, there are still criminals out there. Howver, once crime and criminals has been eliminated, 100%, I will fully support the right to own guns. 100%.)

and/or

2) Ban the guns.

(Also difficult - but a lot easier than eliminating criminals)

If we do either 1) or 2), my chance of being killed by a criminal with a gun drop to zero.

Again, I'm appalled that there are people who value their right to own a gun more than the lives of other people. Life is full of disappointments.

Old August 29, 2002, 20:50   #110
David Floyd
Emperor

No, the principle is not the same. In one situation I am acting on property I own. In the other situation, I am not.

Fundamental difference.

Surely you wouldn't say that driving regulations can extend to my private ranch, for example, would you?
Old August 29, 2002, 20:51   #111
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Yes it does. Your owning a gun, in conjunction with the criminal stealing it, puts me in danger.
No, the act of me owning a gun harms you not in the least.

My gun might eventually cause you harm, but only once another crime has already been committed - that of burglary. Probably several crimes, in fact - breaking and entering, burglary, assault and battery, etc.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:54   #112
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sinapus

Well, in Washington DC they got them from....

The police.
The police wouldn't need guns if the populace wasn't armed.

Quote:
Bull. If you did a little bit of research you'd find out that was wrong.
Try to do better next time.

Quote:
Except that they don't. What's amazing is your willingness to cling to ignorance because it challenges your prejudices.
Your owning a gun puts me in danger because there is a possibility of that gun being used to kill. It's that simple. Simple can be a similie for ignorant, but not in this context.

Nobody attempted to answer my question about why they need a gun, I see

Old August 29, 2002, 20:54   #113
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Nobody attempted to answer my question about why they need a gun, I see
That isn't your business
Old August 29, 2002, 20:54   #114
Akka
Prince

Quote:

My gun might eventually cause you harm, but only once another crime has already been committed - that of burglary. Probably several crimes, in fact - breaking and entering, burglary, assault and battery, etc.
This reasoning is completely dumb, because it assumes that you will never use your gun in a criminal manner.
If we would know in advance who will be a criminal and who won't be, we would not need to ban anything - we would just put people in prison preventively.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:55   #115
King

Quote:

If you can't follow my logic... well... I can't help you there.

Old August 29, 2002, 20:58   #116
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
This reasoning is completely dumb, because it assumes that you will never use your gun in a criminal manner.
If we would know in advance who will be a criminal and who won't be, we would not need to ban anything - we would just put people in prison preventively.
Right, if you knew who was going to commit crimes, you would punish them in advance (Minority Report, anyone). But because you don't know, you punish everyone by banning or restricting guns.
However, people are legally innocent until proven guilty.

Hence, you are advocating punishing the innocent for something they have never done.

Quote:
If you can't follow my logic... well... I can't help you there.
It isn't my logic that's the problem.
Old August 29, 2002, 21:03   #117
Akka
Prince

Quote:
Right, if you knew who was going to commit crimes, you would punish them in advance (Minority Report, anyone). But because you don't know, you punish everyone by banning or restricting guns.
However, people are legally innocent until proven guilty.

Hence, you are advocating punishing the innocent for something they have never done.

It isn't my logic that's the problem.
You definitely have a weird sense of punishment. It's not punishing someone to say "this thing is too dangerous to be put in public's hand". That's the exact same reasonning that makes toxic gaz, nuclear weapons, flamethrower and mines to NOT be sold to the large public.

You've the right to own anything that does not represent too much of a danger for others. Why are you so fond of defending your obsessive right of possession while disregarding completely the right of others to not be endangered ?
Old August 29, 2002, 21:08   #118
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Akka le Vil
You've the right to own anything that does not represent too much of a danger for others. Why are you so fond of defending your obsessive right of possession while disregarding completely the right of others to not be endangered ?
Basically that's this thread in a nutshell... personal rights vs. group rights.

I tend to fall on the personal rights side, usually, but there's always a weighing of benefits to be made. IMO, the benefit to the individual of owning a gun isn't significant enough to outweigh the benefit to the group (fewer killings by guns)

Old August 29, 2002, 21:30   #119
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 00:04
hey it took a while, but this one got going.
Old August 29, 2002, 22:36   #120
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
I'm pro-gun and pro-gun control. I think honest, responsible, law abiding citizens should be allowed to own guns.
I'm pro gun period.
Quote:
I think what's necessary is to make getting guns harder for criminals. The first thing you can do is create a much more elaborate screening process required for gun licenses. It's easier to get a gun license than a credit card these days.
In Calif. there is a 15 day waiting period for regular people. For bad guys, they steal, buy on the street or any other means to aquired guns. The screening will not work for them, only you and I.

Quote:
Second, I'm in favor of taxing guns heavily to make them more expensive. This would also make illegal weapons more expensive and harder to get.
No it won't. It will just raise the price nothing more.

Quote:
Because human beings are evil, violent animals; you will never have a utopian society without gun violence. The only thing we can hope to do is decrease the proliferation of guns.
No body will turn in illegal guns.