Old August 29, 2002, 02:17   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 00:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Anyone remember Syndicate?
actually I had syndicate wars. Has anyone ever finished that one? Fun game, but really hard. I got stuck on one mission.
Old August 29, 2002, 03:20   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:04
I played (and finished) the original. Then tried syndicate wars. It was too hard.
Old August 29, 2002, 08:20   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 08:04
I loved the original, even completing the expansion pack with some help from a walkthrough. Didn't get into Syndicate Wars though.
Old August 29, 2002, 10:05   #4
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:04
Never found Syndicate Wars, I think that it was released when I didn't have any time for video games. Haven't seen it in any bargain bins, either.

I loved Syndicate, though. Nothing says loving like four cyborg mobsters toting miniguns.
Old August 29, 2002, 16:19   #5
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 09:04
I have bought both Syndicate and Syndicate Wars, both great games, would like to see a sequel to them, but I really doubt we will (Haven't heard much from those who made the game...what was their name again...was it Bullfrog, or something?)...I once played Syndicate Wars MP, but it was boring...But SP was awsome, though I didn't finnish the games...without a little cheating...some of the levels was just too hard...

Though as I played MP, it was only against 1 person, might be more interesting if there were more playes...Can it be played over net? I've stil got the game..

Just checked www.bullfrog.com (That was the name then...), and it seems like they haven't been doing anything since Theme Park World...Last good game they made was Populus 3...Back in '99

On ther website, they have a contact us button. Pressed that one, and pressed the link to the feedback/suggestiens email. Wrote a small mail, on why they didn't make any new Syndicate game, but 2 sec. after I send the msg, I got the msg: "Undeliverable"...Are they still "alive", or are they gone forever? They did afterall make a new release last year (Theme Park Inc...Or was it this year?)

Last edited by Adagio; August 29, 2002 at 16:42.
Old August 29, 2002, 17:05   #6
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:04
I'm pretty sure that bullfrog is kaput, but I dunno for sure. (That doesn't rule out somebody else making a sequel, though, f'rinstance Looking Glass Studios went kaput but Ion Storm (?) got the Thief license and is making Thief 3...)
Old August 29, 2002, 17:08   #7
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Then let's hope, somebody else will make the sequel...
Old August 29, 2002, 17:18   #8
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 02:04
Cool, I'd really like to play those again. Does anyone know of any abandonware sites that have it?
Old August 29, 2002, 18:03   #9
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Syndicate is one of my all time favourite games........many a happy hour spent on my Amiga playing that beauty.
Old August 29, 2002, 18:55   #10
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:04
I got both of these off of some abandonware site (forget where, though) last year and had much fun going through them.
Old August 29, 2002, 19:09   #11
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

I actually bought my copy! Fancy that.
Old August 30, 2002, 09:08   #12
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 02:04
Okay, I found the link myself. I just love it that I can get these old games gratis.
syndicate
syndicate wars

Also found this great abandonware site.

Me happy....have next week off...will be playing old games...he-he
Old August 30, 2002, 12:38   #13
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 00:04
Persuadertron!

nothing like an army of vegetable people
Old August 30, 2002, 20:25   #14
Standup
Prince

Bullfrog was bought by electronic arts and became a large part part of EA UK - originally in Guildford now somewhere else near Slough i think. Peter Molynoux (sp?) who founded Bullfrog worked for EA for a time and now owns/runs Lion Heart.

Probably too much trivia there.

I've interviewed him a couple of times and his views of the corporate attitude of EA were pretty interesting. i'd figure they hold the rights and they seem to prefer big name brands like Fifa rather than 10 year old amiga games !
Old August 31, 2002, 06:18   #15
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Standup
[...] and they seem to prefer big name brands like Fifa rather than 10 year old amiga games !
Does people actually buy fifa games? I have yet to see a computer with that game...even a warez copy of that game... Or a football/soccer game in general (fifa is a football/soccer game, right?)
Old August 31, 2002, 19:59   #16
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 07:04
Oh yeah, I remember syndicate. I used to really suck at it though. Even cheating I couldn't finish it.

The cheat is - name your team "Mike's Team" (I think, it might be "Mark's Team", or something similar), and you get four top-of-the-line models, with all the mods and all the weapons available. Nice.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old August 31, 2002, 22:12   #17
Skanky Burns

I think my strategy (once I got up to about halfway through) was to arm everyone with miniguns and let them fire at will. The large amounts of dosh I threw at research ensured that I had the best body parts.

In early missions I used to attempt to capture everyone, even guards and police, sometimes even other syndicate-soldier guys. I though you get money from capturing people, can't remember if its true or not. But capturing enemy soldiers was fun - some of them were slightly upgraded before I started upgrading mine, and they also gave me some spares incase some of mine soldiers died.
Old September 2, 2002, 04:42   #18
Skanky Burns

I decided to play it again. Its just too easy this time.
I've researched everything, have all upgrades on my soldiers, and have taken over Europe, Asia, Australia, and am starting into Africa. Not bad for 2 hours play.