Old August 29, 2002, 15:06   #1
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 01:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What Heppened to the Island Expedition?
EDIT:"Heppened"? Apparently the Heppens are a nation of mercenaries who live in the Mountains and have been hired by the British to exterminate the Americans.

I have several questions. Apparently I was on a whole different plane than the rest of Apolytonia as I thought the Galleys were going to take a settler to the island we just barely see to find out what was there.

Based on posts in the Forum I had understood that a settler and spearman would load onto one of the Galleys (Galley 1) and the other galley (Galley 2) would move out toward the misty island.

Then Galley 1 would move one space unload the settler and spearman onto Galley 2 (assuming it didn't sink) and return to the safety of our coastal shores. Galley 2 would advance with it's new cargo to the misty shore's coastal and we would be guaranteed not to lose a settler.

Questions:
1)The settler has been moved to Apolytonia and it apparently took its whole movement to move 1/3 of a road to get there as it no longer has movement left thus costing us a turn to implement.

2)The SMC's current orders call for the galleys to do something completely different.
EDIT:SMC has since acknowledged they turned control of the galleys over to the IE.

So when did we deviate from the Island thing?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	colony3.gif
Views:	150
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	23210  

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; August 29, 2002 at 21:49.
Old August 29, 2002, 15:20   #2
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 03:06
Good Question. I know not.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old August 29, 2002, 15:45   #3
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Looking on ubers orders, it appears that he is including the hop, so it is in the works. SHould happen soon.

--Con
Old August 29, 2002, 15:49   #4
Kuciwalker
Deity

We never got around to it.
Old August 29, 2002, 16:20   #5
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:06
I suggested my plan for transporting a settler to Uber Island (which is along the lines of what Ghengis explained in the top post) to Will 5001 and he liked it and accepted it but Uber probably wasn't around then so he never heard of it.
Anyway, I don't see why Uber is in control of the galleys. They've finished their military purpose and are about to set sail for purposes of exploration and expansion, so according to logic Will 5001 should be in charge of them.
Of course Uber is more than welcome to board the galley that's sailing to Uber island. After all he spotted the island in the first place so he should be the first to step on its soil.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 29, 2002, 17:25   #6
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Exactly, I thought Aggie had relinquished control of the galleys to the Ministry of Expansion or something or other.

SO.....What's up with the used up settler?
Old August 29, 2002, 18:09   #7
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

By the way, mega kudos on the graphics!!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 29, 2002, 18:52   #8
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
By the way, mega kudos on the graphics!!
Mega kudos on the plan!!
Old August 29, 2002, 18:56   #9
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 02:06
they sunk

i warned them
Old August 29, 2002, 18:58   #10
Shiber
Emperor

Thanks!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 29, 2002, 19:08   #11
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Epistax
they sunk

i warned them
What? Who sunk? Where?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 29, 2002, 19:11   #12
Kuciwalker
Deity

Shiber - remember the series of letters from jdjdjd to the Gazette about our expedition?
Old August 29, 2002, 19:15   #13
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I asked the same question in the current report thread. No answer so far. I was all ready to see uber isle but no dice. They have been where they are for at least 3 turns. I am disappointed it didn't happen. I did give contol of them at i believe 250 or 230.
Aggie
Old August 29, 2002, 19:21   #14
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Shiber - remember the series of letters from jdjdjd to the Gazette about our expedition?
Oh yeah, I do. They were all very good. I just didn't realize he was relating to them. I guess that's what Monty Python TV Marathons do to you.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 29, 2002, 20:04   #15
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
I asked the same question in the current report thread. No answer so far. I was all ready to see uber isle but no dice. They have been where they are for at least 3 turns. I am disappointed it didn't happen. I did give contol of them at i believe 250 or 230.
Aggie
Yeah, I remember that. I guess the Ministry of Expansion was bribed by the German/Persian/French conspiracy to sabotage our growth efforts.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:29   #16
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:06
I wasn't sure exactly how to go about this plan, nor did I see any direct orders to go through with it. I could have not done anything and asked, but there was only Shiber around at the time.

I vaguely recall a Will 5001 post saying to move the Settler into 'Poly and that's it. Once we've got the exact moves for these ships down and in the orders, it will be done. At the moment, both Uber and GenghisFarb have plans, and the Minister has not posted one to date (still early days).

EDIT: DAMNATION! I just found in the 5-turn thread a late addition to the orders for the last turns - Will 5001's plans for the Island Expedition.
/me sighs
That'll teach me for believing all the orders were done and dusted. I didn't think of looking at that thread, since (although an excellent idea) no Minister seems to use it much.

This is all the case of ppl missing things (me) due to absence, and because the idea is so prevalent in everyone else's minds, nothing more is said of it. Now that I have played the first turns and have seen for myself what is going on, such a thing should not easily happen again. I relied a little more heavily on the Ministers' plans than usual, and some of them were a little scattered across the forum, so I might have missed some of them, with 5 or 6 IE screens and Civ3 open at once.

PLEASE could all Ministers next time make sure ALL their plans are in the relevant upcoming turns threads (and also the topped 5-turn plan thread), so I can see them all at once. It would make life easier.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 29, 2002, 20:31   #17
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:06
The plan is good, we have a chance (50%?). Of course, a third galley would be good, as a backup. In fact, the plan almost demands that third galley. However, in our actual stage of production, I don't think is possible to any city change queues and build another…
So what? It's risky, and we can loose a galley, we know. Nevertheless, we have to try.
Btw, Ghengis, your graphics are very easy to understand.
Old August 29, 2002, 21:46   #18
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
Btw, Ghengis, your graphics are very easy to understand.
Thanks, I used one of your maps.
Old August 30, 2002, 14:59   #19
Will 5001
Warlord

Local Time: 07:06
I am vindicated , without even having to say anything, anyway, my next orders will be very clear and I will put them in the 5 turn plan thread, its already there, so i'll just put it in there again later.
Old August 30, 2002, 15:04   #20
Will 5001
Warlord

this is the order I said last time, I might as well sday it again:

To Transport Settler, and spearman, or even another settler, that would be good(?), use the following plan involving 2 Galley's, it is called "Shiber's Manoeuvre" and is as follows:

"Naming the tiles and galleys for easier reference:
* Tile A: either the tile S or SE of Apolyton (doesn't matter). It is safe for a galley to end its turn in here.
* Tile B: the tile SE SE of Apolyton (contains a whale resource).
* Tile C: the tile SE of tile B.
* Tile D: the tile SE of tile C.
* Tile E: one of the coastal tiles which we can barely see. It is safe for a galley to end its turn in here.
* Galley 1: empty at the beginning of the manoeuvre.
* Galley 2: contains a settler and possibly another unit (another settler or a spearman) at the beginning of the manoeuvre.

Phase one:
Both galleys are in tile A. Galley 1 travels to tile C and ends its turn. This is the risky phase, since there's a 50% chance that the galley would sink (but at least it's empty). It's also the only risk involved in this plan.
If the galley sinks, build a new galley and start again. If it doesn't, move on to phase two:
Phase two:
Galley 2 travels to tile B. The settler and the other unit (if any) onboard galley 2 moves to galley 1.
Phase three: galley 2 travels back to tile A or another coastal or city tile, thus ending the turn safely. Galley 1, now carrying cargo, moves to tile E, thus also ending its turn in safety."
Old August 30, 2002, 15:14   #21
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Will ! You're here !
Can you give a name for your city please ? (as a minister, you get to name a city ; please do so in this thread
Old August 30, 2002, 15:28   #22
Will 5001
Warlord

Wow, I didn't think I was important enough, I am so excited

Old August 30, 2002, 18:10   #23
caesarqbear
Chieftain

allow me to re-illustrate:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	shibermanuv.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	23293  
Old August 30, 2002, 19:10   #24
Shiber
Emperor

You left me speechless.

Anyway, what we do now is send one galley into Apolyton to grab the settler and then tell it to end the turn in tile A and send the other to tile C, and then we execute phases two and three.

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE UBER ISLE!!!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 30, 2002, 20:44   #25
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Just one question - anyone applied to GodKing for a city to build any new ships in if we need them? This could cause more delays otherwise. Having seen how urgent the matter is, I want it done, done right and done right now.

Thank you all for making the plan so abundantly clear that even I can understand it This is in so many threads now that, once again, not even I can miss it.

This will go down in the chat tomorrow (my time) at a tentative 2300GMT/1800EST. Feedback on this time would be nice, but it can't easily be any earlier. Later, however is of course good for me (if no-one else on the planet but for Darkness' Edge).

Old August 30, 2002, 20:47   #26
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Thank you all for making the plan so abundantly clear that even I can understand it This is in so many threads now that, once again, not even I can miss it.
Naah, don't be so harsh on yourself.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 30, 2002, 22:05   #27
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Just want to make sure you don't lose another arm.........
Old August 30, 2002, 22:27   #28
Reddawg
Prince

Oh, and I feel the need now to stress at every opportunity the importance of 1) keeping Germany's unheard of expansion in check and
2) immediately expanding onto Uber Isle.

the statistics, trust me, support both of these facts.
Old August 30, 2002, 22:43   #29
GodKing
Emperor

MWIA and others interested: in the orders thread, Polly is set to do a gallion as replacement only. in other words, if we loose one, polly starts to build one. But only then as I do not want to build an extra without needing to as we have far to many things to build and not enough time adn manpower to build it in.

Oh, and nobody requested one. That surprised me. I would have expected 2-3 pm's on this issue. People must be slipping.

--Con
Old August 30, 2002, 22:50   #30
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Cheers, GodKing. I wanted to make sure. Everyone was saying how there would need to be another built if we lost the first ship, but having to play the game, I realised there WAS no such ship. This seems important enough to all that it needs some significant attention before carrying out.