Old August 30, 2002, 02:25   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 07:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
gamespot preview
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...878756,00.html

Free (For a limited time...)

Just a few comments:

After quoting several bits out of the preview, I realized something...A lot of this seems as if they have no knowledge of 1.29. They act as if having the "Irrigate" button at the bottom for workers is new, and that Accellerated Production is another thing to look forward to in PtW.

Also, the internet while I expected it to be in the modern age (duh) seems to come a bit late (at least for me). I usually already have research labs in every city...

Anyway, any comments?
Old August 30, 2002, 07:44   #2
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 02:08
Their screenshots don't show it (others do), but there is a whole bank of worker options in PTW, pretty much every worker hot-key has a button. This is new.

Delete your research labs and save the upkeep cost (or don't build them in the first place, knowing that you'll get them, risky).
Old August 30, 2002, 13:38   #3
Wise Ass
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Team BananaC4BtSDG Team Banana
Prince

Note that the first paragraph says it will hit store shelves in a couple weeks as oppose to a couple months.
Old August 30, 2002, 13:55   #4
WarpStorm
King

Define a few weeks. How many is a few?
Old August 30, 2002, 14:21   #5
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 03:38
3, one more than a "couple"

But little of that preview made any sense at all, it's as if they knew nothing about the current game. I'm pretty sure that the irrigate button only came up when available, I always use that when moving workers, hoping that a city is not on a hill so I can continue the irrigation network through it.
Old August 30, 2002, 15:38   #6
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

I find this funny;

Quote:
Another new setup option is "allow for cultural conversions," which basically allows you to annex rival cities within your sphere of cultural influence if you have a much higher cultural rating than your rival. It's a new and peaceful way to conquer enemy cities.
Did the reviewer ever even play Civ3, or was he playing some sort of Coracle version before, & now he'll be able to turn it on?
Old August 30, 2002, 15:46   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

My threads been topped!

Anyway, the article seems very poorly written....
Old August 30, 2002, 16:16   #8
Cidifer
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

"Define a few weeks. How many is a few?"

It says at the top october 2002.
Old August 30, 2002, 17:32   #9
ashbery
Chieftain

What a lame excuse for a add on this is, but if you guys want to rip yourselfs off be my guest.
Old August 30, 2002, 22:40   #10
Andrew_Jay
Prince

No Ashbury, reading the Gamespot preview really DOESN'T give a good idea of PtW. It looks really badly written, researched etc. I've read VERY promising previews from other sites, you should really check out the PC.IGN summary that's around here.
Old August 31, 2002, 07:58   #11
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:08
Within a 'few' weeks it will be october IMO. Early october, yes, but still.....one can hope
Old August 31, 2002, 10:35   #12
des-esseintes
Chieftain

Moral of this story, old but true!

Gamespot Sux.
Old August 31, 2002, 19:08   #13
vee4473
King

Gee...thanks Mark for closing my thread about this in the general forums.

After I complained that the Apolyton "news centre" didn't mention the errors in the gamespot preview, the thread was killed.

I still say that Apolyton should have mentioned the fact that Gamespot made errors in their preview.

Or at least clarify what they said, just like some have done in THIS thread.

Is apolyton in bed with gamespot? You guys are afraid to criticize them?

Old August 31, 2002, 19:24   #14
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:08
Maybe he's just happy to let us throw the stones.
Old August 31, 2002, 19:26   #15
vee4473
King

perhaps..but its almost as if he tried to stop anyone from talking about my comment.

He didn't say a word, just put a link to this thread.
Old August 31, 2002, 19:31   #16
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

That is common. They don't always take the time to explain, they lock the 'duplicate' with a pointer to the first thread.

Nothing is stopping you from repeating your comments.
Old August 31, 2002, 19:38   #17
vee4473
King

oh,

ok. I didn't realize that they just redirect to the first thread of a topic.

BUT...Since my post was directed at Apolyton personally, I would think that he would have something to say!

I understand redirecting a post that is about something not directed at Apolyton in order to avoid multiple threads.

This was different...nothing in this thread addresses my comment.

He closed my thread and redirected me here as if my answer was waiting for me.

not
Old August 31, 2002, 21:37   #18
WarpStorm
King

Well, I'll address your comment. Yes, the article writer is not a Civ player. The point of that paragraph is that all unit (and in particular worker) hot keys now have a button. In one of the screen shots I saw at least 20 buttons active on a worker. This is new to Civ3.
Old August 31, 2002, 21:46   #19
vee4473
King

thanks warpstorm, but you didn't address my comment.

my comment was why Apolyton's "news centre" was touting gamespot's preview as a great article to read without commenting on how inept it is.
Old August 31, 2002, 23:42   #20
notyoueither
Deity

Dan doesn't really tout anything. He reports. Just the facts ma'am.

The news items tend to focus on the useful bits. If Poly posted a news item on how bad every review is or was, the server would crash. Seriously, these reviews are aweful for the most part. The redeeming feature of them for us is that they sometimes have new information that we do not have yet.
Old September 1, 2002, 03:22   #21
kimmygibler
Warlord

Local Time: 00:08
There are hotkeys specific to units that are not displayed by buttons on the bottom. One example is the various automate worker commands.
Old September 1, 2002, 09:43   #22
vee4473
King

eh,
you're right, sorry i flew off the handle
Old September 1, 2002, 10:56   #23
Ludwig
Chieftain

Actually, I didn't have the slightest impulse to give the reviewer a hard time for the way he chose to talk about the cultural conversions thing.

It seems to be saying that cultural conversions will be optional in PtW, and every time I think about being able to turn culture flips off I get a warm feeling inside....I can forgive the reviewer for not understanding that this isn't a new feature being added, but an old feature being made optional...mmmmmmmmmmmmm no culture flips. Sigh.
Old September 1, 2002, 12:34   #24
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Interesting thing about culture flipping, would that count as losing a city in the one-city-you're-gon multiplayer mode? If that's the case, it's a good thing you can turn the flipping off.
Old September 3, 2002, 07:46   #25
WarpStorm
King

I think you'll have more to worry about from the horseman rush than the culture flip in the elimination (one-city-you're-gone) games.
Old September 3, 2002, 14:48   #26
Oerdin
Deity

Another poorly written review from Gamespot? Well, no surprises there. I'm glade to see Firaxis is finally polishing the interface a little. They added several new hot keys in during the patches and there were several more hot keys which weren't documented in the manual so only the people at poly or CFC knew about them. By adding the hot keys to the on screen menu they will be finishing a section of the interface which was previously done in a half a$s manner.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 3, 2002, 15:12   #27
Oerdin
Deity

I've also noticed that nearly all "previews" use a beta copy of the game which has numerious bugs and several features may or may not be in the beta which will be in the final product.

Thus the game reviews really don't have anything to review. They can't talk about bugs because the manufacturer told them it is a beta and has assured them all the bugs will be fixe in the final product; in reality some bugs will be fixed but many will not and either way the review is usually contract bound not to say anything about the bugs to begin with.

In other words the review is limited in the negative things he can say about the product. This means nearly all game reviews are neither fair nor honest and must be taken with a grain of salt.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 4, 2002, 21:04   #28
Tuberski

That is why I will wait to buy until after I reda reviews by people here on Poly.

We don't have to worry about people not being able to talk about the bad things in the expansion.

And they will talk about them. Often.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 5, 2002, 03:49   #29
Firebird
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 08:08
This I don't follow:
Rally points have also been added to the game (curiously they were in previous Civ games but left out of Civ III)
I don't remember anything about rallypoints in Civ or Civ2! Is he thinking of Ctp (havn't played that)?

I assume he never played the game before. He must, at some time early last year, have seen some beta-edition, with which he compares PTW.

There are a few bits of interesting details, but the state of this report I doesn't make me any wiser about if the PTW we will get has these features.
Old September 5, 2002, 05:28   #30
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 09:08
There were NO rally point in any Civ game exsited.

Not in Ctp1, Ctp2, Civ1, Civ2, Civ3, SMAC
not even in Colonization, Matster of Magic, etc....