View Poll Results: Which 7 civs should be added post-PTW?
the Assyrians/Sumerians/other Mesopotamian civ 21 3.10%
the Hittites 13 1.92%
the Armenians 10 1.48%
Israel 53 7.83%
Lydia 5 0.74%
The Netherlands 53 7.83%
the Scots 18 2.66%
Hungary 19 2.81%
another Slav civ, e.g. the Poles, the Serbs, Bulgaria, etc 38 5.61%
Portugal 47 6.94%
the Goths 14 2.07%
the Kushan 6 0.89%
Mali/Ghana/Kush/other sub-Saharan civ or a Pan-Sub-saharan African civ 42 6.20%
the Thai 12 1.77%
the Khmer 29 4.28%
the Tibetans 8 1.18%
the Polynesians 31 4.58%
Aboriginal Australia 26 3.84%
Inca 83 12.26%
Maya 57 8.42%
Another NA Indian civ (Sioux, Apache, etc) 19 2.81%
Latin America (either a Pan-LAcan civ, or an individual country) 24 3.55%
an ex-English colony, e.g. Australia, Canada, New Zealand, etc 30 4.43%
Other 19 2.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 677. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 23, 2003, 16:50   #91
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 09:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh Sabaoth
Australia WAS a prison colony. Maybe that's why they're so hot on kicking immigrants out of their country, exterminating the aborigonies, etc. Actually, Australia might be an interesting country to include... militaristic and industrious? There's only one so far... maybe militaristic and commercial?
hi ,

, not militaristic , they are definatly not , ....

commercial they are , ......

have a nice day
Old January 23, 2003, 17:01   #92
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Local Time: 07:11
Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

, not militaristic , they are definatly not , ....

commercial they are , ......

have a nice day
Um, to you, militaristic they are... they've been modernizing and beefing up their navy for the last 10 years, in an attempt to project their power in the South Region, and their talk, at least, is often warlike.

Then again, hey, any of you Australia experts feel free to criticize us... I'm just going off of what I've read in the news... I haven't read much about the history of Australia.

Although "militaristic" is the best fit for a bunch of former prisoners, wouldn't you say?
Old January 23, 2003, 18:09   #93
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Um, to you, militaristic they are... they've been modernizing and beefing up their navy for the last 10 years, in an attempt to project their power in the South Region, and their talk, at least, is often warlike.

Then again, hey, any of you Australia experts feel free to criticize us... I'm just going off of what I've read in the news... I haven't read much about the history of Australia.

Although "militaristic" is the best fit for a bunch of former prisoners, wouldn't you say?
hi ,

they really dont fit the profile , .....

as for the aus navy , well huh , they are still small , very small they have a large area and simpl dont have all the ships they realy need , they dont even have tank divisions , ...... so no a far cry from "militaristic" , .....

have a nice day
Old January 24, 2003, 09:58   #94
Sparkle
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:11
Hi, I would add definitely these

Israel (don´t understand why it isn´t in the Civ yet)

Slavs (better than just Polish because there are millions of slavs in the world, Ukraines, Serbs, Czechs... these deserve their place too).

Cuba (with Fidel Castro) yes they are ugly but they should be there too, they are famous and active

Eskimos (Inuit) because they are a popular and famous civ.

Byzantines because they were extremely powerful civ.

Maya or Inca (they were powerful too), but one of them should be enough

Portuguese or South America (Brazil...)

Normans (Normandy was not Scandinavia and it was powerful in medieval times. Norman army was very successful in the 1st crusade)
Old January 24, 2003, 11:21   #95
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Sparkle... your ideas for new Civs cover a lot of ground, but I disagree with some of them for various reasons:

Normans: yes, these WERE "vikings". They are represented in the game by the "Scandanavians" and "English". Norman civilization outside of the context of England is not that compelling, though it was a swell invasion (Thanks, William!)

Between Portugal and Brazil, take Brazil. It's a huge country with the potential to be a superpower (not anytime soon, of course) and it would add another "Amer-Indian" civ. A winner!

Maya or Inca? Sure! But how about the Sioux? Just for old times' sake?

The Byzantines WERE powerful indeed, but their power or cultural contributions never rivaled Rome's... they were the "leftovers" from the Roman empire and their main contribution to the world was to provide a buffer between the Black Sea, Southeast Europe, and expanding Islam. Lots of good intrigue in Byzantium, but worth a whole Civ?

Eskimos or Inuit would be awesome! "Kayaker" as a UU?

Cuba!!! Their UU could be the cigar or the Son band! (I'm joking, of course. No offense meant to any Cubans around here)

I have to disagree with Slavs. They're just too diverse to lump into one group. After all, the English, French, Germans and Spanish are really just a cross-breed of "Scandanavians" and "Germans" anyways... why should they get their own Civs while Poland and Serbia are lumped together?

ISRAEL!!! ADD IT DAMMIT!!!
Old January 24, 2003, 14:41   #96
Sparkle
Chieftain

Yahweh Sabaoth

Why Sioux and not Apache? Leader Vinettou :-))

I think that Normandy was not located in England but in France and that´s a bit far from Scandinavia :-) And Normans in Italy were not insignificant, Roger I. united the separate city states...

One Slavonic nation is already separated in the Civ and that is Russia. Slavs are usually divided into western Slavs and eastern Slavs. These nations are quite similar. A Western Slavs civ would be best imho, with Belgrade, Zagreb, Laibach, Prague or Warsaw the capital.
Old January 24, 2003, 14:53   #97
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Sparkle

Well, maybe I'm just warm on the Slavs. I find the nations of Serbia, Poland, Hungary, Romania, Bosnia, Greece, Lithuania, etc., too distinct to just lump into one group... especially if Incas and Maya are to be separate from Aztecs! I mean, after all, we do have a good deal more recorded history of Serbia, Hungary, et al, than we do of the Mayas, Incas, or Aztecs.

As for the Normans, true, they have had a very important role in history, but their rule in Northern France was less significant than their rule in Italy, which you correctly point out they unified (more or less), and in Britain, which they conquered, laying the foundation of "modern Britain".

But since we already have England, and we have the Romans, the most I could see would be a modern "Italian" Civ seperate of the Romans.

Perhaps a Papal State? That would be cool...

As for them being from Scandanavia, they are related to the scandanavians they swept from the North into Europe c. 900 AD (that era). I see the Normans as a passing phase, albeit an important passing phase.

Don't get me wrong though: I'd love to see a William I, Roger I, or what-his-name... "The Weasel" who caused so much trouble for Byzantium...

you got good ideas, though, keep 'em coming...

Has anyone given any thought to new African civs? I would like to see:

Yoruba
Ethiopia
Nubia
Mali
Sigilmasa
Almoravids
and best of all
BERBERS! For pete's sake! Great horsemen!
Old January 24, 2003, 15:44   #98
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

there is one "civ" that we should not forget , the barb's , they should be able to take over cities , work land , etc , ...... (!)

have a nice barbarian day
Old January 24, 2003, 15:46   #99
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

nubian and ethiopean have been proposed a few times.

however your definition of "slavs" is amusing ... hungarians, the baltic states (estonia, latvia, lithuania), greece and romania aren't slavs at all. some of them might have been under the control of the soviet union for a long period, but slavs? ....

but you're still right that another slavic civ beside the russians would be good. and you're right, that there are a lot of slavic countries (serbia, bosnia-hercegovina, croatia, slovenia, slovakia, czech republic, poland, bulgaria, ukraine, white russia (belarus), moldavia and some other smaller former-soviet countries i forgot in this list)
Old January 24, 2003, 15:53   #100
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

otherwise
- polynesians (instead of aboriginees or australian)
- inuit
- ethiopean
- inca (better than maya. the mayans didn't control a big are, just a small part of central america. the inca were far larger and start in a better place (peru). however, i like mayan temples more than any other sacred things in the world )
- maybe nigeria
- not cuba, but a "caribbean" civ would be cool. give 'em luxuries like tobacco & marihuana uniquely and they'll rule the world in peace )
Old January 24, 2003, 16:17   #101
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
nubian and ethiopean have been proposed a few times.

however your definition of "slavs" is amusing ... hungarians, the baltic states (estonia, latvia, lithuania), greece and romania aren't slavs at all. some of them might have been under the control of the soviet union for a long period, but slavs? ....

but you're still right that another slavic civ beside the russians would be good. and you're right, that there are a lot of slavic countries (serbia, bosnia-hercegovina, croatia, slovenia, slovakia, czech republic, poland, bulgaria, ukraine, white russia (belarus), moldavia and some other smaller former-soviet countries i forgot in this list)
Hate to break the news to you, but Greece is overwhelmingly slavic. The slavic migration to Greece occurred in the mid 2nd millenium. As for the Baltic states, yes, I suppose those are mixed Slavic-Germanic. And as for Romania, I plead ignorance: I have always assumed as they are surrounded by Slavs that the Romanians are themselves slavic.

But as for the "Greeks" the ancient Greeks that are depicted in Civ have gone the way of... well... the ancient Romans! I.e., they have assimilated utterly. Thus, while Greece is distinct from Russia, it has perhaps more in common with Russia ETHNICALLY than it does with Italy... which was certainly not the case in the ancient world.
Old January 24, 2003, 16:19   #102
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

one thing I forgot, too: Greece has been slavic much longer than the Soviet Union was ever around, and Greece was never a soviet sattelite.
Old January 24, 2003, 16:41   #103
South killer
Spanish Civers
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:11
I think this civs shuld be included:

--Tibet--
UU: Tibetan Monk
--Incas--
UU: Llama rider
And we need more latin american civs:
--Brazil--
UU: ???
--Mexico--
UU: Mariachi ???
--Argentina--
UU:Gaucho

What do you think?
Old January 24, 2003, 16:46   #104
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:
Originally posted by South killer

--Argentina--
UU:Gaucho

What do you think?
That would be appropriate for a Steely Dan civ, but I'm not sure about Argentina.
Old January 24, 2003, 17:26   #105
Sparkle
Chieftain

Yahweh Sabaoth

the Norman warriors who did so much harm to the Byzantines was Robert Guiscard and his son Bohemond de Tarente. Bohemond then conquered Antioch and for a short period before he wes slaughtered by Egyptians, he was ruler of Jerusalem. Not an unsignificant historical figure, could make a good leader :-)
Old January 24, 2003, 17:27   #106
Sparkle
Chieftain

as for bosnia-hercegovina

Bosnia-hercegovina is not Slavonic. It´s Arabic (moslim).
Old January 24, 2003, 19:19   #107
sabrewolf
Emperor

no, sorry, bosnians are slavic, it's just that a part of them (approx. 40%, >50% before the war) are muslims.
and definetly not arabic. if something, then ottoman (turks)...

not every muslim country is arab. in fact many aren't (iran, pakistan, afghanistan, indonesia, malaysia(?), philipines, some smaller caucasian republics, etc.)
Old January 24, 2003, 19:24   #108
sabrewolf
Emperor

Quote:
Hate to break the news to you, but Greece is overwhelmingly slavic. The slavic migration to Greece occurred in the mid 2nd millenium. As for the Baltic states, yes, I suppose those are mixed Slavic-Germanic. And as for Romania, I plead ignorance: I have always assumed as they are surrounded by Slavs that the Romanians are themselves slavic.

But as for the "Greeks" the ancient Greeks that are depicted in Civ have gone the way of... well... the ancient Romans! I.e., they have assimilated utterly. Thus, while Greece is distinct from Russia, it has perhaps more in common with Russia ETHNICALLY than it does with Italy... which was certainly not the case in the ancient world.
ok, sorry, my fault... maybe...
to me, the greeks are an own civ, because they've had thousands of years of own culture. i don't call the arabs israelis, only because they are both semitic.
Old January 24, 2003, 19:25   #109
sabrewolf
Emperor

in fact, check this out, bosnians are clearly slavic:
Old January 24, 2003, 19:27   #110
sabrewolf
Emperor

and this image:

proves that greeks aren't slavic, except if you call encyclopaedia britannica?
Old January 24, 2003, 19:28   #111
sabrewolf
Emperor

oh, and one more:

--> greek are hellenic
Old January 24, 2003, 19:31   #112
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Hey, well, there you go!

I didn't lump Bosnians in with the rest of the slavs, because they're Islamic...

...in other words, I was subscribing to the weird viewpoint of the West that treats muslims as an ethnic group!

So, that was stupid of me. I read too many geopolicy statements I guess. The Bosnians are, indeed, slavic.

And I agree that the greeks "of history" are distinct enough to warrant their own civ.
Old January 24, 2003, 19:32   #113
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:
oh, and one more:

--> greek are hellenic
Whoa, I stand corrected.

That's quite a cool map!
Old January 24, 2003, 19:34   #114
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Hey, now, waitaminute! How are the French and Spanish "Italic"? And what's with "Iranian"? Iran is a relatively new concept in a land thousands of years old, with many, many overlapping ethnicities, including persian, turkic, arabic, etc. And how about "Albanian"?

Still, it's a cool map. It gets "Germanic" and "Celtic" mostly right.
Old January 24, 2003, 19:37   #115
sabrewolf
Emperor

that was the map for indo-europeans

here's a world map for the non-indo-europeans:

actually, these maps are showing todays languages. usually languages go hand in hand with ethnicity.
Old January 24, 2003, 19:39   #116
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

That is goddamn awesome.

I recommend everyone on this site who ever profers a racist argument or statement again - and there are plenty, as I'm sure you noticed - be redirected right here.

Good job Sabrewolf.
Old January 24, 2003, 19:40   #117
sabrewolf
Emperor

Quote:
Hey, now, waitaminute! How are the French and Spanish "Italic"? And what's with "Iranian"? Iran is a relatively new concept in a land thousands of years old, with many, many overlapping ethnicities, including persian, turkic, arabic, etc. And how about "Albanian"?

Still, it's a cool map. It gets "Germanic" and "Celtic" mostly right.
we cross-posted

italic languages could also be called romanic.
iranian is persian
Old January 24, 2003, 19:42   #118
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:
italic languages could also be called romanic.
iranian is persian
Ah, yes, the Romance languages. Back to school for me.

All I want to know is, what relation does Iranian/Persian have to pre-turkic Persia? i.e., the Persia of antiquity?
Old January 24, 2003, 19:44   #119
sabrewolf
Emperor

Quote:
That is goddamn awesome.

I recommend everyone on this site who ever profers a racist argument or statement again - and there are plenty, as I'm sure you noticed - be redirected right here.

Good job Sabrewolf.
thanks... but actually i stole these image-links from another thread that died a few months ago. "dervish" (not active since july 2002) found all these things...
Old January 24, 2003, 22:10   #120
Sparkle
Chieftain

sabrewolf

Well, I don´t think there are many slavic Bosnians left after the Bosnian war :-(

And to the maps you provided us with: are these maps of slavonic NATIONS or LANGUAGES? Because I think that these maps you showed us are not of the nations but of the languages because a serbo-croatian nation is not, serbo-croatian language is...