View Poll Results: What should we research next?
Project Lain 17 47.22%
Project Dora 3 8.33%
Protocol Eiri 12 33.33%
Monarchy 1 2.78%
Republic 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 30, 2002, 19:10   #1
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Unofficial: What to research next
There is a chance we will get Feudalism in a peace deal next term. This poll will not affect what we will research directly after Feudalism. The plan is to continue along with Monotheism. Most people support either Lain or Eiri so you should have no problems with this deicision. We may get Monotheism in the next set of turns. I need your thoughts to see what the next course of action should be. I will then use this information to try to come up with a compromise plan.

I. Project Lain:
1. Monotheism
2. Chivalry

II. Project Dora:
1. Engineering
2. Invention
3. Gunpowder

III. Protocol Eiri:
1. Monotheism
2. Theology
3. Education

IV. Monarchy

V. Republic

This poll will last 3 days.

This is also an area 25 thread, but I just want to make sure no one just quickly browses through and overlooks it.

Edit: Removed Feudalism from Project Lain. That is basically already researched now. I don't want to confuse anyone.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Last edited by Apocalypse; August 30, 2002 at 19:18.
Old August 30, 2002, 19:15   #2
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:12
Project lain, to secure our future.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 30, 2002, 19:37   #3
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 03:12
Lain, then beat the other techs from our neighbors
Old August 30, 2002, 19:41   #4
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Apoc, what are your thoughts on selling Feudalism (once we get it from France) to Rome for Monarchy and money and then selling Monarchy to France to return some (or hopefully, all) of the money we paid for Feudalism?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 30, 2002, 19:45   #5
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
Apoc, what are your thoughts on selling Feudalism (once we get it from France) to Rome for Monarchy and money and then selling Monarchy to France to return some (or hopefully, all) of the money we paid for Feudalism?
I have always been for techwhoring. I believe it is needed for us to continue advancing. Sell Feudalism as much as possible. It will get me Monotheism faster.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old August 30, 2002, 19:52   #6
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Lain looks good.

Sell your photos
Old August 30, 2002, 19:55   #7
Apocalypse
Emperor

The first 6 votes all support Monotheism next. No problem there

BTW, like I mentioned in an earlier thread, I really have no intention of going for Republic in research. I just want to see how many people would like it to see if I should include it in some compromise.
Old August 30, 2002, 20:26   #8
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
BTW, like I mentioned in an earlier thread, I really have no intention of going for Republic in research. I just want to see how many people would like it to see if I should include it in some compromise.
Now that's ministerial talk.
Anyway, I second what Apocalypse said. It'll be some time before we can actually switch to Republic without the disadvantages outnumbering the advantages so we should research what we need now.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 30, 2002, 20:32   #9
Apocalypse
Emperor

I know I haven't been very assertive in my role as Minister of Science, but I am trying to be as unbiased as possible. I only try to get all the information out there. I view Republic as a clear no right now.

Since we will probably also trade for Monarchy soon, there is little reason to choose that.
Old August 30, 2002, 23:52   #10
Epistax
Prince

Chivalry would be useless for a time. We are now in a war with two of our biggest threats- Germany and Persia. Neither of which will make much of an impact before declaring peace. This peace will put them in a 20 year contract.

We do not need knights. Others will research it, and we can pick it up from them. Researching something like education will give us the ability to make significant research on our own, and possibly outsmart someone.

The fact is, we don't need chivalry unless someone else has it. We can get it with the techs we research on the way to Education. Education leads to Democracy. The wars we need are over. We have no reasons to invade anyone.
Old August 31, 2002, 00:01   #11
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Eiri!

with Education, other techs will come faster. That is guaranteed

military technological superiority isnt guaranteed.
Old August 31, 2002, 06:36   #12
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Project Eiri of course.
You know my stance : I think we won't be able to sustain knight's wars. Thus, we should rush for useful techs for the massive building that awaits us.
Old August 31, 2002, 06:36   #13
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 03:12
Contrary to what others have said, i think knights are very necessary (sp?) to the survival of our nation. How much longer are we supposed to fight with swordsmen?

Also, this is the road to military tradition, which will bring Cavalry. Once we get cavalry, we should be able to conduct a swift, but hihly effective attack on another nation. Then, suing (sp?) for other techs.
Old August 31, 2002, 06:43   #14
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

We do not need to research chivalry to get cavalry.
We don't need to know chivalry to upgrade chariots / horsemen to cavalry.
Old August 31, 2002, 08:54   #15
Epistax
Prince

Weren't swordmen to lead to swift victory over french? There is no difference. We have calvary, they have riflemen. BANG. Horsie is dead. Do not pass go.

Let the mongers research those techs, then we can trade for them with $$$ or simple techs. In the mean time we can leap ahead with intelligence.
Old August 31, 2002, 09:09   #16
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:12
Eiri!!! If we ever really need chivalry for a war we can just buy it! Hopefully, by the time we need it everyone will have it and we can buy it for cheap or research it quickly.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old August 31, 2002, 09:56   #17
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Lain! We need chivalry if we're going to last out any more wars, and when we need it I'm sure the AI will be charging a lot for it. Better to have it now and have time to build up a defensive (snicker ) army.

-- adaMada
Old August 31, 2002, 10:32   #18
Shiber
Emperor

Well spoken adaMada.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 31, 2002, 11:46   #19
Vlad Antlerkov
King

Local Time: 01:12
Get Chivalry (we'll need some knights in order to fight any wars) and then go for one of the two government techs.
Old August 31, 2002, 12:44   #20
Donal Graeme
Warlord

Local Time: 23:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Eiri, unless we actually plan on using those knights. If we do intend to knock someone off, them go for Chivalry. I am pragmatic, and realize the AI will be all eager to go for us. But if we are careful that won't happen. We can have plenty of defensive units and stave off an attack in the first place. Should we want to go midieval on someone though, then Chivalry is the way to go. Either way, Mono should be researched or acquired next.

edit: Also, education will take away the Great Library from the Russians, which will help us tech trade with them. (they won't be able to bum techs off us)
Old August 31, 2002, 14:49   #21
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

project Lain

have a nice day
Old August 31, 2002, 14:53   #22
Epistax
Prince

Well I must say that I am not pleased with the opinions expressed by people in this poll. Who are they planning on attacking next anyway? The fact is that you don't need horsies for defense. A knight in every city will barely do much better than a swordsman.

I would also care to note that we will not research it first, someone else will get chivalry before us.
Old August 31, 2002, 14:56   #23
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

what about a mix of this and the tech whoring plan , ...

have a nice day
Old August 31, 2002, 22:55   #24
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:12
Thus it looks like Chivalry is our next target. We have Mono, Monarchy and Rep through trading. The only reason I voted for Lain ages ago was because I wanted Mono, not Chivalry. Perhaps a new poll is in order...?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 31, 2002, 23:23   #25
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:12
Chivalry will be good. With my paranormal powers, I can see war, war and more war in our future. I don't want those wars, but I’m afraid that without knights we will be a sitting duck.
Gunpowder could be better, but is a long way till that, and if we can’t find saltpeter… Kaput.
This certainly deserves a new discussion.

You're right, MWIA: a new poll is in order.
Old August 31, 2002, 23:36   #26
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I'd say chivalry. We need knights to spread our empire and we need an offense. We need to be able to deal lethal blows quickly. A 10 knight force can do this. We can build it and put it somewhere around gaia and then we have a powerful rapid deployment force. That can be anywhere within a turn or 2. Especially once we get engineering. However a new poll is in order and in all probabiltiy we will buy the next tech.
Aggie
Old September 1, 2002, 04:20   #27
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:12
Lain: we need chivalry.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old September 1, 2002, 05:24   #28
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 08:12
Aggie,

We need also Chevalry to build a mobile defence force sufficient to deter our ambitious neighbours to attack our Empire. Whether we are a builder or warmonger, I cant see how we can do without Chevalry. When we will have this force, we will probably discuss what to do with it, but right now we just need to build it.
Old September 1, 2002, 05:57   #29
Shiber
Emperor

Lain,
Otherwise why are we building those stupid horsemen for?
Yes, a strong mobile force is JUST what we need to protect our empire efficiently.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 1, 2002, 10:53   #30
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I've been trying to get a mobile force built since the end of the american war. Hoprfully these attacks will open peoples eyes.
Aggie