Old August 31, 2002, 07:47   #1
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 01:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
$Mini-Game Trading Session 4
Turn 4 closes EXACTLY 72 hours from the post time of this message.

Use this thread for trade proposals only. So, NO DEBATES HERE (except relating to current session rules questions)

For rules, a directory of threads and debates see the thread Main thread and directory

Current Market Assessment:

Turn Number: 4
In Game year: 210 BC
"Market One": Apolyton, Termina, Tassagrad, BHQ, Port Rouge

Total population: 4+4+3+3+2=16

Labor Market
Apolyton Available Labor: 4
Termina Available Labor: 3
Tassagrad Available Labor: 3
BHQ Available Labor: 4
Port Rouge Available Labor: 2
(The Labor market is now done on a per city basis. Simply state in the following format, "Hire 1 Labor in Apolyton @ $26 (D:S 1/4 = $25)". To use Vassal labor simply state "Use 1 of my Vassals on my estate.")

Vassals for Auction:
1 German
3 French
4 Persian
(To bid for a vassal simply state the following proposed transaction: "I wish to bid $20 each for 2 French Vassals". Unless not enough bids are received, all vassals will be sold to the highest bidders. Transfer of ownership takes place at end of session. Newly acquired vassals have been fed for this session by the state, and may commence work during the next trading session.

Commodity Markets
Food demand: 16x2=32
Food supplied: 2+2+2+2+2= 10
D:S = 32/10 = $320

Shield Demand: 9+4+4+4+1=22
Shield Supply: 9+5+4+4+1=23
D:S = 22/23 = $95

NOTE BASE RATE FOR COMMERCE IS $50
So multiply D:S by 50% for current market price.

Commerce Demand: 16x3=48
Commerce Supplied: 3+2+1+1+1=8
D:S = 48/8 x.50= $300

Use the format provided in the rules to post your proposals.

Check the LATEST trade post for the most current default price (D:S). If you are suspicious of an error, check the previous post and make sure they added properly.

THIS SESSION USES THE FOLLOWING RULES:
Each noble has 1 base Labor representing common vassals. Vassals consume 1 food for every 2 vassals. Odd numbered vassals do not consume any extra food as the vassals simply have to make do with less food. (Examples: 1 vassal consumes no food, 2 vassals consume 1 food, 3 vassals consume 1 food, etc.)

The following Buildings are available for construction:

STOREHOUSE {Can be built on Noble's Estate OR in a city} (Costs 2 shields/labor) stores up to 20 commodities (including food). NOTE: you may store up to 10 nonfood items(shields/commerce) in addition to/instead of this 20 storage.

TAVERN {city only} (Costs 3 shields/labor) allows you to sell food at a 50% bonus. The number of food you may sell at that bonus is equal to the the city Pop of the city the workshop is located in. (Example: the building is located in Apolyton whose Pop is 4. The bonus applies to 4 units of the product.)

SHOPPE {city only} (Costs 3 shields/labor) allows you to sell commerce at a 50% bonus. The number of commerce you may sell at that bonus is equal to the the city Pop of the city the workshop is located in. (Example: the building is located in Apolyton whose Pop is 4. The bonus applies to 4 units of the product.)

WORKSHOP {city only} (Costs 4 shields/labor) allows you to sell shields at a 50% bonus. The number of shields you may sell at that bonus is equal to the the city Pop of the city the workshop is located in. (Example: the building is located in Apolyton whose Pop is 4. The bonus applies to 4 units of the product.)

To build a building in a city you must hire at least one labor from that city. Additional labor may be brought in from any noble's estate, but the first labor must be from the city or local authorities will not allow any construction on your building to take place.

The only building that will be "useable" the turn its built is Storehouse. All others technically use the turn to alter/sell products and should be in existence at the beginning of the turn to generate benefits.

CONSTRUCTION STATUS (From close of Session 3)
Epistax has built 2 of ? on a building in a city/estate.
Franses has built 4 of ? on a building in a city/estate.
GhengisFarb has built 3 of ? on a building in a city/estate.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; August 31, 2002 at 15:43.
Old August 31, 2002, 08:41   #2
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 02:13
Code:
Epistan Plantation, Turn 4.  Admin: Epistax
Holdings: 
     Tile 009, N Termina, 1/0/1
     Tile 012, NW Termina, 1/0/0
Buildings:
     Tavern @ Termina (2+1/3 Complete)
Stockpile: 0+0 food    0+1-1 shields    0+0 commerce
Production:  2 food      0 shields      1 commerce
Cash Change: -$64
     112     Selling
     -176    Buying
Current Cash: $169      Debt: -$750 (Interest @ turn 15)
Selling:
     2 Food  @ $40/ea
     1 Comm  @ $35/ea
Buying:
     1 Shld  @ $60/ea
     1 Labr From Termina @ $33/ea
New D/S:
     Food: 32/10+2    = $267
     Shld: 22+1/23    = $100
     Comm: 48/8+1    = $533
     Termina Labor Labr: 0+1/3 = $33
Predicted Expenses|Income: 93|115 = $22
Old August 31, 2002, 09:52   #3
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 03:13
Code:
Skywalker Corporation, Turn 4.  Admin: Skywalker
Holdings: 
     Tile 019, S Tassagrad, 2/1/1
Buildings:
     None
Stockpile: 0+0 food    0+1 shields    0+0 commerce
Production:  2 food      1 shields      1 commerce
Cash Change: $0
     0    Selling
     0    Buying
Current Cash: $0      Debt: -$1000 (Interest @ turn 18)
Selling:
     2 Food  @ D:S
     1 Comm  @ D:S
     1 Labor @ $20 (NOT the labor point - just use it for a turn)
     4 Shares @ $100
Buying:
     Nothing
New D/S:
     Food: 32/12+2    = $228
     Shld: 23+0/23    = $100
     Comm: 48/9+1    = $533
     Termina Labor: 1/3+1 = $25
Let me explain the Shares thing. I've created Skywalker Corporation, and there are currently 10 shares valued at $100 (as my total worth is $1000). If you buy 1 share, you'll get 10% of all profits each turn (the turn after you buy the share). It's simple.

Also, I'd like to hire someone to administer my assets in the future, as I'll soon be gone way too much to participate in trading sessions. To qualify, you must be able to access most or all of the trading sessions near the end, so you can get the best price for my goods. Every Sunday (except this one), which is the only day I'll really be able to get on, I'll want a report on my money and holdings, the general state of the market, some specific things that people have done, etc. In return for your services, you will receive 15% of all profits each turn, BEFORE stock.

Last edited by Kuciwalker; August 31, 2002 at 12:41.
Old August 31, 2002, 11:17   #4
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Skywalker Corporation, Turn 1. Admin: Skywalker
Holdings:
Tile 019 Tassagrad S (grass rd, mine)
Buildings:
None
Stockpile: 0+0 food 0+1 shields 0+0 commerce
Production: 2 food 1 shields 1 commerce
0 Selling
0 Buying
Current Cash: $0 Debt: -$1000 (Interest @ turn 18)
Just corrected some technicalities.

Quote:
Selling:
2 Food @ D:S
1 Comm @ D:S
If you "sell @ D:S" the government takes out the greater of a $5 or 10% fee PER COMMODITY (That's $10 or 10% of sale price for two food) as a fee. That way those who actively try to guess the ending price have a chance to make a little more.

Quote:
Selling:
1 Labor @ $50 (NOT the labor point - just use it for a turn)
Are you offering your Vassal labor from your estate for someone else to use?

Quote:
4 Shares @ $100
Buying:
Nothing
New D/S:
Food: 32/12+2 = $228
Shld: 23+0/23 = $100
Comm: 48/9+1 = $533
Termina Labor Labr: 1+1/3 = $66

Let me explain the Shares thing. I've created Skywalker Corporation, and there are currently 10 shares valued at $100 (as my total worth is $1000). If you buy 1 share, you'll get 10% of all profits each turn (the turn after you buy the share). It's simple.

Also, I'd like to hire someone to administer my assets in the future, as I'll soon be gone way too much to participate in trading sessions. To qualify, you must be able to access most or all of the trading sessions near the end, so you can get the best price for my goods. Every Sunday (except this one), which is the only day I'll really be able to get on, I'll want a report on my money and holdings, the general state of the market, some specific things that people have done, etc. In return for your services, you will receive 15% of all profits each turn, BEFORE stock.
I don't have a problem with the shares thing, but we haven't developed the Corporation yet so I don't know if we should play with it.

Are you trying to hire labor from Termina? You added +1 to the demand.
Old August 31, 2002, 11:33   #5
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

NOTICE: In the watered down offer that the players agreed to use for this trading session I forgot to add a note that the Commerce Market would use a Base Rate of $50 instead of $100. Since no one agreed to the $50 Base Rate, I used the $100 Base Rate for this session. With the addition of Port Rouge to the Region that means Commerce Demand is 48, and Commerce supply INCLUDING stockpiles and city tiles is 45(37+8) = $106 (with base rate 50 it would have been $53) I need players input as to whether we should play with the intended $50 BR now, or drop it to 50 in later trading sessions (next session we go back to the old commerce supply/demand).

Currently if you set your price to $106 there is no way to not sell your commerce, if the Base Rate drops to $50 the cut off price will be $53.

Remember, that while you would get to sell your commerce at $106, so would I. And I didn't sell commerce last turn as I was 'holding back' my supply to keep from driving the price to $20 or less.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; August 31, 2002 at 11:44.
Old August 31, 2002, 12:00   #6
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:13
Would knowledge of where labourers will work in the future be of any use to anyone.
Old August 31, 2002, 12:20   #7
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
Would knowledge of where labourers will work in the future be of any use to anyone.
At this point, everyone already owns the tiles so it really wouldn't influence much.

Now being able to affect WHICH tiles got worked would have a major effect on the players, as players would want the tiles they own to be improved so they could produce more..........

(wonders what it would take to get BHQ's mountain mined and roaded)
Old August 31, 2002, 12:40   #8
Kuciwalker
Deity

GhengisFarb -

Thanks for pointing out the mistakes. I'm leaving it at D:S for now, and I'm going to change it later. In case you didn't notice, I just copied Epistax's post and changed a few things. Yes, I am selling the use of that vassal for one turn, as I can't use him right now.
Old August 31, 2002, 12:40   #9
Epistax
Prince

Is there a sudden new commerce demand not met with supply that I have not heard of? Grr this is still confuseing-- there should be almost no increased D/S ratio, as with the new cities with more demand, game new squares being worked on by the city satisfying the demand.

Again, this thread has already gone to hell, so I see no reason not to post this.
Old August 31, 2002, 12:42   #10
Kuciwalker
Deity

Epistax - will you buy your laborer from me instead of Termina? You'll pay $13 less.
Old August 31, 2002, 13:03   #11
Nimitz
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG LegolandNever Ending StoriesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Code:
Banana Pastures , Turn 4.  Admin: Nimitiz
Holdings: 
     Tile 031, NW Banana HQ, 2/1/2
Buildings:
     None
Stockpile: 0+0 food    0+0 shields    0+0 commerce
Production:  2 food      1 shields      2 commerce
     0    Selling
     0    Buying
Current Cash: $0      Debt: -$1500 (Interest @ turn 18)
Selling:
     2 Food  @ $190 each
     2 Comm  @ 390 each
     1 shield @ 85 each
Buying:
     Nothing
New D/S:
     Food: 32/12+4    = $200
     Shld: 23+0/23+1    = $95
     Comm: 48/9+3    = $400

Last edited by Nimitz; August 31, 2002 at 14:02.
Old August 31, 2002, 13:12   #12
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Epistax
Is there a sudden new commerce demand not met with supply that I have not heard of? Grr this is still confuseing-- there should be almost no increased D/S ratio, as with the new cities with more demand, game new squares being worked on by the city satisfying the demand.

Again, this thread has already gone to hell, so I see no reason not to post this.
We changed the source of the numbers for the commerce ratio. Currently we produce less than they demand. As more players join we'll produce more than they demand. When the cities grow larger we'll produce less again. (I was pointing out the current excess demand so you could change your price)

The important thing is the source numbers are accurate supply/demand numbers for commerce and will ALWAYS work. The old numbers were going to require us to change the ratio every 10-20 turns because they weren't really demand/supply numbers for commerce.

Sometimes we'll have excess, sometimes we won't. if you store your commerce during the excess turns you can sell them for more money during the high demand turns. This is a high demand turn.
Old August 31, 2002, 13:50   #13
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Code:
The Shiek Estate 
Turn #: 004 
Holdings: 018 Tassagrad SE (jungle) and 021 Tassagrad W (jungle)

Stockpile: 0 food, 0 shields, 0 commerce 
Cash: $0 
Debt: -$400 (10% interest, 12 turns remaining on grace period) 
Buildings: none 

Administered by: GhengisFarb 

Last turn's completed trades: 
None 
Net cash flow = $0 
--- 
Production this turn: 2 food
--- 

Proposed Deals: 

Sell 2 food @ $76 (D:S 32/18 (16+2)=$177) 
Loan Vassal to GhengisFarb
Pay GhengisFarb $15
Old August 31, 2002, 14:18   #14
Epistax
Prince

How's This?
Code:
Epistan Plantation, Turn 4.  Admin: Epistax
+Update+
Selling:
     2 Food  @ $70/ea
     1 Comm  @ $50/ea
Buying:
     1 Shld  @ $60/ea
     1 Labr From Termina @ $33/ea
New D/S:
     Food: 32/18 (100)    = $178
     Shld: 23/24 (100)    = $96
     Comm: 48/12 (50)     = $200
     Termina Labor Labr: 1/3 = $33
Old August 31, 2002, 14:18   #15
Nimitz
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG LegolandNever Ending StoriesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

We aloud change our offers right the the price we sell things at like shields?
Old August 31, 2002, 14:25   #16
Nimitz
King

Code:
Banana Pastures , Turn 4.  Admin: Nimitiz
Holdings: 
     Tile 031, NW Banana HQ, 2/1/2
-Update-
Selling:
     2 Food  @ $170 each
     2 Comm  @ 190 each
     1 shield @ 85 each
Buying:
     Nothing
New D/S:
     Food: 32/18    = $177
     Shld: 23+0/24    = $95
     Comm: 48/12   = $200
Old August 31, 2002, 14:27   #17
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Could everyone do me a favor and state whether they want commerce to have $50 or $100 Base Rate for this session.

-Thanks.
Old August 31, 2002, 14:29   #18
Kuciwalker
Deity

Yes, Nimitz, you can edit your post as much as you want until he session is over.
Old August 31, 2002, 14:29   #19
Kuciwalker
Deity

$100
Old August 31, 2002, 14:48   #20
Epistax
Prince

Sky, you do realize that will make some people emmensely rich, and not effect others?
It doesn't make sense to suddenly increase the value of something one turn, then decrease the next.
Old August 31, 2002, 14:53   #21
Nimitz
King

$50
Old August 31, 2002, 14:59   #22
Kuciwalker
Deity

But... I'm not voting to increase it. I'm voting to keep it the same. YOU are voting to change it.

Oh, and Epistax, what about my labor proposal (look up a few). Will you take it?
Old August 31, 2002, 15:09   #23
Epistax
Prince

Sky, the rules have changed for supply and demand. If we lower it to $50 base, then commerce will sell a bit higher than last turn. If we keep it at $100, it will sell double that.

I'm not sure what the rules are for laborers. I know we each come with our own, but they can't work without a bought laborer. I'd need GF to confirm this.
Old August 31, 2002, 15:21   #24
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Ghegis: How much Cash do I have laying around?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 31, 2002, 15:31   #25
Kuciwalker
Deity

Epistax - well, then, it's simple. Do I want to sell my commerce for some amount, or for twice that amount? Obviously, twice that amount.

About the laborer, the rule is that for a building that's built in a city, the first labor point must come from the city. You've already done that, so you can use my labor point. I'm just leasing the use of my laborers.
Old August 31, 2002, 15:33   #26
Epistax
Prince

Sky, I only need ONE labor point to finish the building. I don't need yours.

You would really compromise the idea that this game is supposed to be a realistic interpretation of an economy just to earn more money in one turn? You're now an ass.
Old August 31, 2002, 15:38   #27
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Epistax
Sky, the rules have changed for supply and demand. If we lower it to $50 base, then commerce will sell a bit higher than last turn. If we keep it at $100, it will sell double that.

I'm not sure what the rules are for laborers. I know we each come with our own, but they can't work without a bought laborer. I'd need GF to confirm this.
They can't work in a city unless you use at least one from that city.

(Think Medieval Europe and free cities, the townspeople and laborers are Freemen and the noble owned labor are vassals. The city council won't let you build holdings in the city unless you pay locals to help.)

Now on your estate you're free to use all noble labor. Say if Epistax bought two shields he could put that vassal to work on a storehouse and would only have to pay for the shield. The vassals do whatever the lord (Epistax) tells them to do.

JUST TO KEEP EVERYTHING FAIR ASSUME THE BASE RATE FOR COMMERCE IS $50.

No one's going to lose any money, and it would prevent some people from paying off their loans in one turn, that seems a bit much (I'm sitting on a lot of commerce).

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
Ghegis: How much Cash do I have laying around?
$125, my payment from last turn.
Old August 31, 2002, 15:43   #28
Kuciwalker
Deity

It's no more realistic to make the value less than it is to keep it the same. Therefore, I'll choose what I think is best.

Anyway, Epistax, I know that you don't need mine. However, mine costs less. Therefore, why don't you buy it instead?
Old August 31, 2002, 15:46   #29
Epistax
Prince

sky you're not listening: THEY WILL SELL FOR MORE THIS TURN WITH 50.
if you make it 100, then it will sell double the more, blowing it way out of proportion.

Example:
Last turn, 25.
This turn (50): 35
This turn (100): 70.

See the difference? (totally made up numbers).

grrr
Old August 31, 2002, 15:47   #30
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
It's no more realistic to make the value less than it is to keep it the same. Therefore, I'll choose what I think is best.

Anyway, Epistax, I know that you don't need mine. However, mine costs less. Therefore, why don't you buy it instead?
I went with the $50 side, because I currently hold one third of the economy's commerce. I haven't sold any the whole game, I was trying to keep the market afloat. It didn't seem fair to be able to unload it at almost 4 times the price others were paid last turn.