Old August 31, 2002, 22:04   #1
Destroyer
Prince

Local Time: 07:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Whats the point....
"For those who have been wondering whether or not there are "direct" inclusions from works posted online in PTW, here is a more or less definitive answer to the question.

As was customary with previous Civilization expansions, there are also numerous new scenarios, including many fan-created ones. These new scenarios are simply icing on the cake for what is shaping up to be an amply stocked add-on pack. "

Are there any decent fan created scenarios? I thoght it was impossible without the tools provided in PTW?

Its more likely that decent scenaris will be included in the second XP
Old September 1, 2002, 00:02   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:15
*coughtheyearsofriceandsaltcough*
Old September 1, 2002, 00:44   #3
Sean
Prince

Some of the fan ones are very good, if somewhat limited. Firixas could always take these models and adjust them with the PTW tools, to make them truely great.
Old September 1, 2002, 08:46   #4
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 02:15
Or they could contact the major mod makers and bring them into the beta test team and give them an advance copy of the new tools.
Old September 1, 2002, 11:09   #5
Destroyer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean
Some of the fan ones are very good, if somewhat limited.
Thats my point. There is not going to be anything much new that would make me want to play any of the current scenarios. Im sure that a lot of effort has gone into making these (there must have been considering). I gave up trying myself, especially with so many new patches coming out. It was impossible to achieve what I wanted to do.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean
Firixas could always take these models and adjust them with the PTW tools, to make them truely great.
Dont let them take the credit. They couldnt be arsed to provide any scenarios the first time around, why should they take any credit now. Fans always reaguard their scenarios as labours of love, and try to make them as good as possible.
Old September 1, 2002, 11:47   #6
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 08:15
I just hope scenarios load much faster in PTW.
Old September 1, 2002, 12:24   #7
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 03:45
I too wish there was someway of making GOOD scenarios using the PtW tools. If not, we get a bunch of scenarios made with obsolete tools. I've been trying to work on a WWII scenario with the old Civ2 map, but what's the point? I can't build airfields, I can't use the new units, there aren't stock exchanges etc.
Hopefully any scenarios will be significantly cleaned up and added to for the release.

Any ideas if Firaxis is actually making Japanese and Second World War scenarios, or are they just giving us units and the such?
Old September 1, 2002, 12:54   #8
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 02:15
All I've heard is that Firaxis is providing the art and animations for the units, nothing else. Oh, well.

I remember one of the Firaxian's saying that scenario creation would all be handled by fans. The screen shots show whatever readme text for the scenarios that the original authors put in it. I don't think that Firaxis is trying to claim credit for any of the fan created works, just providing a showcase for them (presumably for those civ fans who aren't aware that this forum (and the other major forum) exists (which is most of them considering that the membership of this forum is ~22000 and Civ3 sold over 1000000 copies)).
Old September 2, 2002, 10:00   #9
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 03:45
Sounds good, you can kind of go either way with it. It'd be nice if the scenarios were all they could be, using the new tools, but then again, I'm sure a lot of people are pretty proud of their scenarios and don't want them altered.
Hopefully firaxis will take some scenarios with lots of new user created art and units, and streamline them to work really easily.