Old August 31, 2002, 22:37   #1
stonewall
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Can I move the Forbidden Palace?
I usually build the FP after my main group of cities are built and further peaceful expansion is not possible. However, later in the game when I have, for example, assimilated another civ I want to move my FP. Now I know I could just build a new Palace, but your not supposed to just move your Capitol around willy nilly

So, is there a way to make it so that I can build a new FP in a different city?
Old August 31, 2002, 22:53   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

No. It is a small wonder. Wonders may never be built again once completed.

Each civ may build each small wonder once.

Each large wonder may only be built once, period.

The palace is not a wonder.
Old August 31, 2002, 23:56   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:17
well, you can, if you really neede to.
If you destroy it (abandon city), you can (re)build it someplace else.
Does seem abit drastic.
Still, it is an option
Old September 1, 2002, 00:29   #4
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

You can rebuild it if lost? Wow. I was under the impression you could not.

Can you rebuild Great Wonders if you abandon the city?
Old September 1, 2002, 00:49   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 03:17
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
No, I think GWs lost are gone forever.

stonewall, there actually is a strategy for moving your Palace around, having to do with productivity and culture flipping. In both the General and Strategy forums, there have been recent threads on this topic. So far, I think, Catt has laid out the best example of this, using Palace moves to advantage in a difficult deity game. I've just been experimenting / learning how do do it this weekend, and it's very effective.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 1, 2002, 10:20   #6
stonewall
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
No, I think GWs lost are gone forever.

stonewall, there actually is a strategy for moving your Palace around.......
I know I could do that, but I seem to have a sentimental attachment to my capital city

Is there a way to change the FP in the editor to allow it to be sold (for 0 gold), then rebuilt somewhere else?

I guess I will have to read those Palace stategies you mentioned...thanks.
Old September 1, 2002, 11:13   #7
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Stonewall:

Can't be sold unless you turn it into an improvement, which would remove the FP's powers.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

And I don't think it would have an effect on your current game anyway, since the rules are loaded at the start and stay the same throughout the game, IIRC. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old September 1, 2002, 12:00   #8
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 00:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov

And I don't think it would have an effect on your current game anyway, since the rules are loaded at the start and stay the same throughout the game, IIRC. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, you're right about that. Once the game has started, the rules can't be changed, you have to start a new game.
Old September 1, 2002, 12:41   #9
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 02:17
Quote:
Originally posted by stonewall

I know I could do that, but I seem to have a sentimental attachment to my capital city
You'll need to get over this. Palace location can be a very valuable tool. In nearly every game your initial palace location will end up sub-optimal for the late game, either due to corruption/productivity or culture reasons.
Old September 1, 2002, 16:51   #10
Thrawn05
King

Quote:

I'm with you. I can't see playing the Romans, not having Roma the seat of power. I usualy just do what you do, wait until I can't expand anymore.

Besides, I think it's a bad omen to play as Rome and move the capital, since that's what they did and look what happened.

I would like to the FP to move around, at least at a limit of 2 or 3 times then that's it.
Old September 1, 2002, 17:37   #11
Vlad Antlerkov
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05

I'm with you. I can't see playing the Romans, not having Roma the seat of power. I usualy just do what you do, wait until I can't expand anymore.

Besides, I think it's a bad omen to play as Rome and move the capital, since that's what they did and look what happened.
Meh, just rename wherever you move the palace to Rome.
Old September 1, 2002, 19:36   #12
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov

Meh, just rename wherever you move the palace to Rome.

Rename a city? Blasphemous!
Old September 2, 2002, 07:54   #13
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 08:17
Quote:

Rename a city? Blasphemous!
He, he, he Blasphemous but smart! Nice suggestion Vlad!

I don't use to rename my cities, but sometimes for strategical reason I give away bad placed town just conquered to another Civ.
In that case, to avoid silly mistakes, I usually rename it "Gift" or "ForSale", just to be sure when I pick it up from the list in diplomacy screen.
Still, is very funny that AI Civ usually keep the crazy name I chose until the game end
Old September 2, 2002, 09:55   #14
XarXo
Prince

Local Time: 07:17
Forbidden Palace is the WORST small wonder in the game, why? Simply this: you always need a minimum of 120 turns to finish it. I always use it as mi "capitol in a far area full of cities" like new continents, but the dramatic corruption rate always slows the building.

*PLEASE FIRAXIS* Is possible that when you start Forbidden Palace, a "royal member" is send to the city to manage the building and this reduces the corruption to the true capitol amount? *please* *please* *please*
Old September 2, 2002, 11:10   #15
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Most people do 'burn' a GL to build their FP IMO.

It should not be to easy to build it, again IMHO.

btw: I never move my palace either
( does the AI use this palace jump tactic?? Maybe we should just start to call this an exploit then. )
Old September 2, 2002, 11:15   #16
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
Most people do 'burn' a GL to build their FP IMO.

It should not be to easy to build it, again IMHO.

btw: I never move my palace either
( does the AI use this palace jump tactic?? Maybe we should just start to call this an exploit then. )

The only time the AI moves a capital is if you capture or raze their capital city. There are some things I found that AI doesn't do, Palace jumping and disbanding usless units for starters.

BTW: I'll keep as it is. Corruptions doesn't bother me that much. In fact in my mod, Regent has 110% corruption just to make more fun.
Old September 2, 2002, 11:34   #17
alva
Deity

Quote:
BTW: I'll keep as it is. Corruptions doesn't bother me that much. In fact in my mod, Regent has 110% corruption just to make more fun.
aaaaahh, that's the spirit
Old September 2, 2002, 14:20   #18
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Quote:
I'm with you. I can't see playing the Romans, not having Roma the seat of power.
You do know that numerous Roman Emporers moved the capital around, from Milan to Ravenna to Constantinopel. so just pretend you're Constantine the Great
Old September 2, 2002, 15:00   #19
Zachriel
King

Quote:
Originally posted by XarXo
Forbidden Palace is the WORST small wonder in the game, why? Simply this: you always need a minimum of 120 turns to finish it. I always use it as mi "capitol in a far area full of cities" like new continents, but the dramatic corruption rate always slows the building.
Actually, 200 turns. There are various methods to speed up the process, though.

http://www.zachriel.com/ForbiddenPalace.htm

Old September 2, 2002, 15:06   #20
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

You just have to place it the right place from the start then.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old September 2, 2002, 15:09   #21
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by XarXo

*PLEASE FIRAXIS* Is possible that when you start Forbidden Palace, a "royal member" is send to the city to manage the building and this reduces the corruption to the true capitol amount? *please* *please* *please*
Nice idea, but why should the FP be treated different than other wonders?

The new iPod nano: nano
Old September 2, 2002, 20:48   #22
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus

You do know that numerous Roman Emporers moved the capital around, from Milan to Ravenna to Constantinopel. so just pretend you're Constantine the Great

Call me a traditionalist.

BTW, how long did Rome last after Constantine the Great moved the capital to Constantinopel?
Old September 2, 2002, 20:50   #23
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848

aaaaahh, that's the spirit

Regent: 110%
Monarch: 125%
Emperor: 133%
Deity: 166%

Old September 2, 2002, 21:02   #24
Tuberski

Quote:

Is there a way to change the FP in the editor to allow it to be sold (for 0 gold), then rebuilt somewhere else?

I guess I will have to read those Palace stategies you mentioned...thanks.

If you are THAT attached, build your FP in your capital city. However, I can't remember if you have to move the Palace first or not.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 2, 2002, 21:16   #25
stonewall
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski

If you are THAT attached, build your FP in your capital city. However, I can't remember if you have to move the Palace first or not.
But then it wouldn't be my capital anymore !!

That is an interesting idea though.....
Old September 2, 2002, 21:22   #26
Tuberski

Quote:

But then it wouldn't be my capital anymore !!

That is an interesting idea though.....

True, but it does haver a the FP which does the exact same thing as a capital.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 3, 2002, 00:29   #27
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Not quite... Palace effect on culture.

Another example of Capitol moves, though: New York, Philadelphia, and then (sell out to the South), the swampland now know as Washington, DC.

Like us all, though, I always feel an attachment to my original capitol... henceforth, to combat this non-optimal urge, my capitol will be wherever I damn want it to be, and will always be named, regardless of civ played... THESEOPOLIS!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 3, 2002, 06:39   #28
Vlad Antlerkov
King

BTW-- There's a method for easily moving your Palace without a GL-- "palace-jumping". Aeson can explain it better than I can. From this thread (scroll to the last few posts):

Quote:
When you disband your capitol (or lose it to the AI) your Palace will automatically be built in another of your cities. In the early game when all your cities are building Settlers, it's pretty easy to move your capitol this way. It almost always will hit the 'target' city if it is the only city size 3+. With multiple larger cities it becomes very hard to predict exactly where the Palace will end up though.

Very useful in situations where you start out on the coast, on a peninsula or isthmus, or on the edges of a high food area. I almost always start out my games planning on jumping my Palace. If it ends up my capitol is nicely centered, great! If not, I'm prepared to make it so.

As Sir Ralph mentioned, this can be used to build the FP in a productive area, and then jump the Palace to a new city. You have to be careful though, sometimes the Palace will jump to the FP city, make sure it's at size 1 when you do the jump.
Old September 3, 2002, 08:44   #29
metalhead
Warlord

Quote:
BTW, how long did Rome last after Constantine the Great moved the capital to Constantinopel?
Rome fell within 150 years, but the Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantium) lasted over 1100 years. If they had built a FP in Veii, the West might have also survived
Old September 3, 2002, 11:46   #30
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by metalhead

Rome fell within 150 years, but the Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantium) lasted over 1100 years. If they had built a FP in Veii, the West might have also survived

The Easter Roman Empire were a bunch of traiters. Soon Rome will rise again and teach them to behave.