Old September 3, 2002, 11:12   #61
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 01:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The only problem there would be that you are REQUIRING the Pres and VP to be from different timezones. This all goes back to the 'night shift' idea Ninot was proposing. A whole second executive branch to take turns playing chats.

We need to streamline the chat process first, though. Times are the last of the issues at hand.

Disorganizer. When is your guys' next chat. I wish to compare/contrast. See what is working for you, and what we need to change.

Better yet, do you have a log from when you were a large nation?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 3, 2002, 15:01   #62
Timeline
King

Local Time: 02:18
WHAT A MESS!!!

Old September 3, 2002, 15:24   #63
disorganizer
Prince

Local Time: 07:18
The chat is tonite (3rd) i think, at 23:59 GMT.
Schedule and index can be found here. Click on the chat date to get to the details.

Visit the Rebel Pub and Brewery in Bavaria, Fanatika!
Old September 3, 2002, 15:26   #64
disorganizer
Prince

Why do the apolytonians insist on having the pres or vice run the game?
We have the chain of command, which will come to effect among the elected people when they are not there.

Old September 3, 2002, 15:27   #65
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

You guys are still pretty small, though. Do you still have a log from the last game when it was HUGE?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 3, 2002, 20:30   #66
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Timeline
WHAT A MESS!!!

bhah it's not that bad at all. Things appear to be getting blown out of proportion.
Old September 3, 2002, 23:39   #67
Timeline
King

Local Time: 02:18
Quote:
Originally posted by OPD

bhah it's not that bad at all. Things appear to be getting blown out of proportion.

That's good to know.....

Banana bless
Old September 4, 2002, 03:06   #68
disorganizer
Prince

Unorthodox: see the old archive of phoenatica:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=28218

Old September 4, 2002, 03:24   #69
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Timeline
WHAT A MESS!!!

Did I just see a ghost?
Old September 4, 2002, 03:45   #70
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I vote for a President to play the game. The rest of us can revolve around his schedule. I pick the man for the job, not the man (or person) to wrap around my finger.

Too many people are too focused on where they live and what suits them. We end up with a game dominated by GMT -5 (EST). We lose good people as ministers and Presidents.

The resolution has to revolve around the guy given the silly hat for that month. It would be great is he/she can accomodate the most of us possible, but that should not be the deciding factor on when he/she plays the game.

If this is a democracy, then Sir Ralph or Spiffor should be just as acceptable as Trip, Ninot and MWiA are in being President. That requires that we all learn to live with the fact that the lot of us are scattered across the globe, and that some of us can be more active than others during certain administrations.

As to these other affairs, I'm sure that a good, fair and legal arrangement can be arrived at. No need for any apple carts getting tipped over.

BTW, any sensible chain of command I have ever seen has power going up the chain in an absence. When the top goes missing, the lower downs then move up a step. Responsibliity never moves down or sideways, however the position of ultimate responsibility may.
Old September 4, 2002, 04:00   #71
disorganizer
Prince

Maybe an idea to reslov this is if the presidential nominees have to post their targeted chat-schedule for the election. The citizen could then not only vote for the person of the president, but also for a suitable chat-schedule.

Example:
Mr.A and Mrs.B both want to be president.
For the election, both will post their targetet chat schedule:
Mr.A:
Mondays, Wednesdays and Satudays at 21:00 GMT
Mrs.B:
Monday to Friday at 22:00 GMT

If People like the first schedule better, it could be a reason for them to vote for Mr.A, even if they would like Mrs.B better as president. Or if they decide to vote for Mrs.B anyways, they cant complain about the schedule ;-)

Another profit it would give would be that other and independand candidates would be given a chance, as they could cover popular but not covered chat schedules.

Old September 4, 2002, 04:28   #72
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 23:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
But that poses the problem of voting for a President soley based on their chat schedule. I disagree with that. Turnchats may ultimately be a thing of the past, and turn threads actually seem to work pretty good for us.

I think we should vote for Presidents based on their ability to lead, etc, rather than a convienent chat schedule.

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old September 4, 2002, 04:44   #73
notyoueither
Deity

Bah to chat schedules! I've never been able to make more than a few.

The point remains that the game can be played without snubbing people outside of the continental Americas. A system is needed which will accomodate and encourage an unprecedented number of citizens to all feel involved, not just those living on the Eastern coast of the Americas.
Old September 4, 2002, 04:52   #74
disorganizer
Prince

Im also for turn threads, but i also believe some people like the "excitement" and get some fun out of the chats too.

You wont be forced to vote for the schedule. But if you vote for person with a "wrong" schedule, you cant complain ;-)

If you have enough candidates, it could be you find 2 candidates with the same schedule.

WhiteBandit: You will propably vote for Mrs.B anyways.

The other possibility is to implement a chain of command when the president is not there. This way the schedule could fit the need of citizenry, but the chat wont be stalled when the president is gone.

Old September 4, 2002, 06:35   #75
notyoueither
Deity

I don't think schedules should form any part of it.

And anyways, aren't you being a bit forward as an ambassador from another nation? Do you work for the CIA?
Old September 4, 2002, 06:47   #76
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:18
disorganizer was pretty vocal in the earlier stages of our game here, and so I guess that means you consider yourself to have dual citizenry, eh dis?

Turnchats are fun for everyone else (if not the person actually playing), and far be it from me to kill that fun without believing that chats can't be done. Chain of Command? Well, maybe. But we have a VP who can play in the absence of the Prez, and that should be enough.

And as for the chat times being an election issue, I was the only candidate this time around, plus I made sure everyone knew exactly where I live and that any chats might suit ONLY posters such as Darkness' Edge (Australian). I have so far found times that accommodate the NAmers and Euros here, if they aren't exactly very nice times for me. I have done more than my election promises in this regard, and I hope to continue to do so until the end of my term.

A few prominent citizens have expressed extreme annoyance with previous chats and have requested turnthreads be the norm. Threads have been initiated as such, but I hope we can keep throwing in the odd chat as well, in addition to the posted orders. However, it may soon be the case that chats are simply impossible becausee of the sheer amount of time it will take to do everything as well as letting the citizens in attendance what is going on. Hopefully with numbered orders for each Minister in one thread, it will be quicker to run through orders. We will soon see however...

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 4, 2002, 06:53   #77
notyoueither
Deity

Chatting while you play is a great idea. The problem is when 2 hours are consumed in getting less than 1 turn done.

Where is the compromise?
Old September 4, 2002, 06:58   #78
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:18
When I wasn't confused by having just woken up, no breakfast, lack of Ministers and not having the orders at hand, the thing that took up much of my time was reporting the moves. With a numbered system I could just say :IE 1, SMC 2, SMC 3 etc.

This would require others to look up the order themselves, but whoever does could tell everyone else, and I could move a lot faster.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 4, 2002, 09:04   #79
disorganizer
Prince

@notyou+mrwia:
well, i have to live here as ambassador :-P
and no, i dont consider double citizenry :-P
our (fanatikan) goal is to bring ideas from you to our nation and vice-versa. thats what i do here... i give my 2c (or better 0,02g)... ;-)

Nobody is forced to listen to me though and i will not take part in any decission progress.

Call it active diplomacy.