Old September 1, 2002, 14:34   #1
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Battlefield: 1942 Multiplayer demo
Can be downloaded at:

http://www.pcgameworld.com/details.php/id/3142

130 Megs

Wow, this game is fun. It's a multiplayer team-based fps set in WW2. This multiplayer demo includes one map, Wake Island, and you can choose between the Americans and Japanese. The Americans start out in control of the islands, but the Japanese have a destroyer and an Aircraft carrier - and you can drive any of the vehicles (fighters, bombers, jeeps, tanks - you can even drive the carrier around). I definitely recommend this to everyone (if you can handle the large download).
Old September 3, 2002, 23:39   #2
leftover_crack
Settler

Local Time: 07:18
ya it reminds me of a game i played called world war 2 online. Except with less bugs but a bit less realism.

It is fun tho. If you like this Check out MOHAA, ww2O, and Panzer Commander.

I enjoyed BF42. Im a bit skeptical tho. Afterall it is EA
Old September 4, 2002, 01:08   #3
leftover_crack
Settler

oh ya. Check out Aces high too.

And about world war 2 thing. Its got alot of people. like thousands playing on the same world. So it gets laggy. too laggy at times. I wouldnt get it till they fix these basic performance issues. Just a heads up
Old September 4, 2002, 18:47   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:18
gonna check it out, anyone up for a game one of these days?
Old September 5, 2002, 07:57   #5
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

What i have seen so far from this game, there is alot of work to do. I still prefer OFP.

the interface in BF could streamlined somewhat and it doesn't have the same atmosphere as OFP IMHO.

still, it's looks promising , let's see what the final version brings
Old September 6, 2002, 11:09   #6
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

The downloading wont be a problem... it's the computer that's the problem... I have played the game, by a friend of mine, and I really doubt my computer will be able to run it...

The game is real fun (I never got to fly the planes though, since them I played against, always were faster than me (Played for 15 minutes...)

The bad part of the game, is the fact that it's about WW2 (I don't like the time between 1900-1990), but I've also heard the game should be mod friendly, so let's hope, someone will make a future mod (Like 2020 A.D.)...

Also, the game is gone gold...
Old September 15, 2002, 19:35   #7
MattyBoy
Prince

Local Time: 17:18
Quote:
I don't like the time between 1900-1990
There's a classic quote for you.
I didn't like some of those years either
Old September 16, 2002, 01:07   #8
Space05us
King

Local Time: 19:18
Im going to dl the demo later on tonight (when Im dling something else)

[thread jack]
leftover_crack, I told you my in game name when I should have told told my playnet account name. but whats your tag? Im sure I'll have no problem finding you.
[/thread jack]
Old September 16, 2002, 01:51   #9
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Well, a few weeks after I got it, and I still play it. It's just that fun. I am definitely considering picking up the retail version of this now. The engineer would have to be my favorite class. My favorite tactic, known elsewhere as the "Jihad Jeep" is to throw explosives in the backseat of the jeep, then ready the detonator. Get in the jeep and drive towards enemy tanks or infantry. Bail out before a collision, and hit the detonator, creating a massive explosion. Very cool.
Old September 16, 2002, 01:57   #10
Space05us
King

OMG! jihad jeep!

is there a single player mode for the demo?
Old September 16, 2002, 02:03   #11
ixnay
Emperor

There is a seperate single player demo, which has the Tobruk map instead of Wake Island. It's a hilly desert map with tanks and artillery.

http://www.pcgameworld.com/details.php/id/3117/
133 MB
Old September 16, 2002, 05:32   #12
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:18
How come computer games are so huge these days?
Old September 16, 2002, 08:19   #13
alva
Deity

Isn't the sp demo rather old (beta), het the MP demo, here is where the games' strength is.
anyway it isn't out in europe yet ( I think i'm gonna get this one, nice change with civ )

With the in-game brouwer it's actually pretty difficult to find one another, how do you guys get around this??
Old September 16, 2002, 16:33   #14
Space05us
King

because I dont normally download files bigger than 20mb I wouldnt know but you might
is there anyplace that I can dowload it in 15-25mb
chunks?
Old September 16, 2002, 18:17   #15
ixnay
Emperor

Using a download manager like Download Accelerator will let you stop and resume downloads. Do a search at www.download.com for download managers.
Old September 17, 2002, 10:19   #16
Space05us
King

Merci. Im downloading Download Accelerator as I type. If I ever do get the mp demo are you up for a game?
Old September 17, 2002, 12:10   #17
ixnay
Emperor

Sure. It can be tough to find a decent public server though (if team damage is on, sometimes you'll get a game with people who think it's just hilarious to kill as many team members as possible), but if you do it's a blast. And I somehow doubt a game with 2 players would be that great.
Old September 17, 2002, 20:49   #18
leftover_crack
Settler

After second observation...and buying bf1942 the game. The mplayer action is incredibly boring and choppy. You can go maybe 5 minutes without a CDT on the 2-3 64 player servers they have.

another thing that is bugging me is that anyone can fly a tank, plane...etc.

Tho I have to admit the capture points and capture pardigm is somthing great. I wish WWIIO was like that instead of CTF were a defender is forced to stare at a slit waiting for enemy troops to come in and "Hump" a radio table in a room aptly called the "Murder hole".

Anyone notice the insane amount of cheating on the mp server? I was chillin in one of the buildings watching the door. An infantry in the side of the bunker melted into the walls like the T-1000 and hit me twice with a small arms ( I mean this guy was IN the walls). I came, I found the SOB and tried to shoot him in the face after about a whole clip he unloads on me and kills me. Then like .2 seconds later he falls and dies. The lag is bad in the large server. SP is still fun.

Dammitt....!

"leftover_crack, I told you my in game name when I should have told told my playnet account name. but whats your tag? Im sure I'll have no problem finding you. "

I am taking a break till 1.67? I heard and was reading about the new french airplanes and the new graphics. So Im taking a break. The game is kinda static at the moment and im actually afraid to play. If im on for 5 minutes I want to be on for 5 hours.

My tag is Crack55...i look forward to re-subscribing and running into you in the laffeyyette? (Right) You know I was flying in a hawk awhile ago and looked down and saw a huge formation of stuff and saw Space05. It was near Hastiere with about 100 other troops and stuff.
Old September 17, 2002, 21:20   #19
Space05us
King

I can never recall cities off the top of my head, with the exception of a few where great battles have happend.
Im in US2AD not laffeyyette, but we work together on many missions, as laffeyyette is much larger than US2AD but US2AD has better leaders and players in general ((me included )).

1.67 should be a great patch! theres an event server this wednesday (tomorrow), CRS wants to stress test thier new settings and see what players think of some new ideas tht wont be in the 1.67 patch but may possibly be in another.

I guess BF1942 has already dug its own grave by the way you talk about it. People clipping is no fun.
Thats one of the better points of WW2OL, CRS can intervene if you collect evidence of clipping and they will actually do something about it.

no doubt you owned the ei in bf1942 with your WW2OL backround. unless you were playing against other WW2OL players which is highly likely.

ps I'll keep my eye out for you Crack.
Old September 17, 2002, 21:28   #20
leftover_crack
Settler

Well back in 1.3-1.2 wwiionline CRS has the same problems with clipping. The Collision setup was so fubared you could crash you plane into a tank and fly away. You could clip anything. There used to be the frankenstien clip where you could actually clip another infantry! It was funny to see 2-3-4 people in a big blob...unable to get out of each other.

Yes but BF1942 is really fun tho. But c'mon its a twitch game. It will be cool until the next twitch game comes out. You know how EA is when it comes to milking it.

But the lag in BF1942 is horrible. I see why WW2O is actually less laggier is cause its graphics are so primitive. (which are about to get a major update. I just hope it doesnt kill my FPS. Which normally is good I get like 60 FPS in normal circumstances and 20-30 in heavy fighting and air fights)
Old September 18, 2002, 10:04   #21
Space05us
King

[threadjack]
clipping isnt that bad anymore, and its looked down upon by most fellow players.

lag....I hate it. Im getting a satalite in october though
whihc should fix it just a wee bit. and Im going to start saving my money up so I can buy a newer computer, or maybe I'll just take the "build your own" route again.
by February at the latest I should be at about 30-40 fps at high graphics ((hopefully)) Im also going to buy new speakers, that will most likely happen in april or may, depending on how expensive the rest of my stuff is.

!S Crack
[/threadjack]
Old September 18, 2002, 11:34   #22
alva
Deity

I don't have much probs with lag , but it seems, the demo is at the moment , better for MP then the retail version

I wanted to get this game this week (not out yet in europe), but I'm gonna wait awhile, see what happens

The game is faily new, give them some time to work it out. When WWII first came out, it was hardly playable!!

And the cheating is a know problem
Old September 18, 2002, 11:51   #23
leftover_crack
Settler

ya im sure EA is working on another patch. There are so much MP cheaters out there. I mentioned you could shoot through walls..if you jump off the apt building you fall below the earth and can look up and shoot people above. The US tank will shoots backwards in MP out the wrong turret side...
Old September 19, 2002, 20:06   #24
leftover_crack
Settler

Something awful.com seems to agree with my point of view. Except I found the AI to be quite fun in SP. I cut them to pieces...

http://www.somethingawful.com/article.php?id=404

I like the quote about EA support
Old September 19, 2002, 20:07   #25
leftover_crack
Settler

btw if you get the chance on that site. Read some of the game reviews. Funny stuff.

"The game is full of technical errors and oversights and since it was published by Electronic Arts you can expect about as much support on these issues as would be offered by a one-legged chair made out of glued-together light bulbs."