View Poll Results: How often have you had Great Leaders in games where you were militarily quite active?
Almost never--I remember getting maybe one a long time ago. 5 7.94%
Once every few games, I get one. 4 6.35%
I usually get at least one in every game. 25 39.68%
I can get several in every game. 29 46.03%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 1, 2002, 15:42   #1
gnome
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Local Time: 02:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Great leader poll
This is a poll to go along with my Great Leaders thread... I am curious if my suspicions are correct and this poll will help--please direct any discusson to my Great Leaders thread...

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=60699
Old September 1, 2002, 16:28   #2
Thrawn05
King

Re: Great leader poll
Quote:
Originally posted by gnome
This is a poll to go along with my Great Leaders thread... I am curious if my suspicions are correct and this poll will help--please direct any discusson to my Great Leaders thread...

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=60699

How about a fifth choice: NONE!!!
Old September 1, 2002, 16:31   #3
gnome
Warlord

Just choose "Almost never"... I consider them equivalent for what I'm trying to find out.
Old September 1, 2002, 16:43   #4
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by gnome
Just choose "Almost never"... I consider them equivalent for what I'm trying to find out.

Perhaps I should of made myself clear (sorry). I mean NONE as in "Never ever since I bought the game last December!"

No joke, I never ever got a leader. I don't goto war that much, but when I do I raze and kill everyone. I always play as Rome to.

So I never rushed a wonder, never built an army nor the wonders that go with it. Hell, I built more Iron Works then leaders!
Old September 1, 2002, 16:49   #5
gnome
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05

Perhaps I should of made myself clear (sorry). I mean NONE as in "Never ever since I bought the game last December!"

No joke, I never ever got a leader. I don't goto war that much, but when I do I raze and kill everyone. I always play as Rome to.

So I never rushed a wonder, never built an army nor the wonders that go with it. Hell, I built more Iron Works then leaders!
Oh, that's exactly what I thought you meant. I just don't want to split up the "nones" and the "hardly evers". I'd change the text if it let me

Rock the vote!

Old September 1, 2002, 21:12   #6
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 07:19
I usually get more than one a game. It helps to plays as the germans, Panzers + Militeristic trait is a big help.
Old September 1, 2002, 21:33   #7
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 17:19
Its very rare that I get a single Great Leader if I play as a non-Militaristic civ. However, as a militaristic one, since I tend to be more aggressive, the chances are far greater, though I hardly get as many as I want.
Old September 2, 2002, 00:12   #8
Demerzel
Warlord

I've had eight in my last game alone ( and seven in the game before that ) but then again I spent most of that game ( & previous ) waging war against my AI opponents, 'tis the only way to keep up on Emperor I find.

Most satisfying thing about the game was when the AI nuked my best city, I returned the favour with five nukes.
Old September 2, 2002, 06:45   #9
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Local Time: 01:19
Oh I get some of them all the time usually two or three. Of course I'm more or less a warmonger and war is a constant factor in my politics (most of the time I'm at war with at least one civ). So battling all the time gives you a fair chance of getting three of these guys during a game.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old September 2, 2002, 07:08   #10
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 09:19
I never play as a militaristic civ and also rarely go to war, so I don't see many GL's in my games.
However, even when I'm not militaristic but I have I strong army and go to conquer (like in my last game with the Immortals) I get at least one GL.

So, from the poll's point of view: yes, usually I get at least one in every game when I am militarily quite active.

However, I've never obtained a GL defending, only attacking. Anybody?
--Woody Allen
Old September 2, 2002, 07:24   #11
campmajor!
Prince

Local Time: 08:19
Yes, I got a GL once when defending. It was up against a large number of AI units. So it was upgrading from regular, veteran and elite. And then I got a GL!

Only to loose it again when that unit finally looses against that horde of AI units....
Old September 2, 2002, 07:25   #12
campmajor!
Prince

But that was on 1.16f I think....
Old September 2, 2002, 11:11   #13
Mannamagnus
Prince

I just started playing a game as Chinese (I usually play Babylon), I've gotten three so far (start modern age).
Old September 2, 2002, 11:21   #14
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05

You are playing Civ3, I hope and not civ2. Just an honest mistaike to maike

Usually 3-4 until modern (where I usually end the game)
The most I had was 11 or 12 in a standard game (militaristic). Should I mention I won that game
Old September 2, 2002, 12:09   #15
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:19
I had had GL from defenders. In current (nearly over) I have had 47 leaders as Rome at 129f. Been at war since first contact. Been at war with allfor last 4000 years.
Old September 2, 2002, 12:38   #16
XarXo
Prince

Briggs Theory:

Leaders are proportonial to the warmongering index of the player
Old September 2, 2002, 13:18   #17
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 10:19
Don't know what to vote. Some games, I've gotten none, due to limited warring. Pretty often, I get one. But then again, in some games, I can get as much as 6 of them... the game I had an army of nearly 500 units, I got 1.
Old September 2, 2002, 14:46   #18
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 00:19
I usually have a dozen leaders in every game.
Old September 2, 2002, 18:33   #19
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

I usually get at least one invery game; however, I've had a couple games where my elites produced 5 - 6 GLs.
Old September 2, 2002, 18:48   #20
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 00:19
My record for GLs in one game is 17.
Old September 2, 2002, 19:34   #21
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Some games I can get one per turn while at war, others I will never see one. It really depends on how I am playing, how well I am playing, how well my units are holding up (can I keep blitzing or am I getting my butt kicked,) etc. And then there are those games where I just get pimped every time out So I choose #2, #3 and #4 and a few you didn't include. It's a random thing - "sometimes you get the bull, sometimes you get the horns."
Old September 2, 2002, 19:43   #22
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

In my game as Germany, it's the first century AD and I already have two: Barbarossa and Horsa.
Old September 3, 2002, 10:03   #23
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848

You are playing Civ3, I hope and not civ2. Just an honest mistaike to maike

Usually 3-4 until modern (where I usually end the game)
The most I had was 11 or 12 in a standard game (militaristic). Should I mention I won that game

Yes, I am playing Civ3. I don't have Civ2.

Panag suggested I mod a game where I start off with one, but I want to be surprised. I want an Xmas present anyway.
Old September 3, 2002, 10:35   #24
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I usually get more than 1 when warmongering with a militaristic civ. My record is 12 (standard map).

I've had games where it just doesn't go my way. In order to take full advantage of the militaristic trait, I want more than 2 neighbors so I have several different targets. Less than 2 presents a real problem - not enough things to kill to reliably generate a GL.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 3, 2002, 10:41   #25
Be Quicker
Warlord

Recently I had a game where despite enough warmongering (I conquered the world) and substantial AI resistance (Monarch), I got none. Later I decided that this depended on the fact that I had civilization specific ablities and all victory conditions turned off, but I have no clue whether that is true or superstition.
Old September 3, 2002, 10:58   #26
reefer addict
Warlord

Local Time: 23:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
im playing a game as germany now, huge earth map,16 civs.
i avoided war most of the game but now that the panzers have arrived ive been fighting non-stop. in 4 turns of war i have had 6 GL's and now have many elite panzers waiting for there shot.

be sure to baby your elite units if you want leaders, if i lose one hit point they go home to rest instead of blitz attacking to the death.( im starting to build factories in small towns with leaders just to use them up)

i have had games where i didnt see one leader but never as a militaristic civ, i always get a few
Old September 3, 2002, 11:39   #27
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
A looong time ago, I made GL-hunting one of the core aspects of my strategies.

I'll often go to war with only this in mind, foregoing opportunities to actually destroy the enemy's production capacity, just so I have new (preferably regular) enemy units to chomp on.

Even then, GLs come and go in unpredictable streaks. In Banana Isle, none until Tanks. IN AU 105, none until around 100AD, and then they just kept coming.

Always at least one, and at peak somewhere in the teens.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 8, 2002, 19:36   #28
gnome
Warlord

Thanks everyone for your input. These results are different than what I expected after hearing anecdotal posts... it seems that most people can get GL's without much trouble. I plan on performing more thorough tests on my own machine (setting up battles in the editor, perhaps)...
Old September 9, 2002, 10:52   #29
Alantus
Chieftain

I got my first GL from a defending unit yesterday I had some MA and MI definding a city and the a$$munch Persians were paying the price for an earlier attack against me. I had a substantial tech advantage and a substantial unit count disadvantage (as always in my games) and I can't remember what he attacked with, might have been 4 or 5 tanks or MA and to my surprise I got a leader.

It was a rather interesting game for me in terms of Leaders, my Iroquois got pretty good land but a serious shaft on resources, no horses or saltpeter so this made things difficult early on and I had to trade to get the cavalry going when war broke out. When the first leader came I decided to use him for an infantry army (I was desperate) and it turned out to be the right call as I needed that army to hold the city under attack. I went on to get 3 or 6 more leaders, the last of which came 2 turns before I discovered the tech that has UN (is it fisson?) and I did a rush build on UN and proceeded to win my first diplomatic victory. It was also my first game to move the Capital using a leader, I had to put the FP in a bad place due to my early game constraints and moving the capital really paid off huge in the late game war.

I read here not that long ago about a unit winning twice in the same turn usually leads to promotion so I abused this idea with Elite Tanks attacking fairly weak units to get alot of leaders.

Alantus
Old September 9, 2002, 10:57   #30
Be Quicker
Warlord

Quote:
I read here not that long ago about a unit winning twice in the same turn usually leads to promotion so I abused this idea with Elite Tanks attacking fairly weak units to get alot of leaders.
Tell me more !!!

Is this true ???

I seem indeed to recall some GL's that I obtained and lost in the same turn when I had some lone unit which was in a foolish position in AI teritory but still killed two attackers while defending. In hindsight indeed more than chance suggests ... could it be true?