View Poll Results: How often have you had Great Leaders in games where you were militarily quite active?
Almost never--I remember getting maybe one a long time ago. 5 7.94%
Once every few games, I get one. 4 6.35%
I usually get at least one in every game. 25 39.68%
I can get several in every game. 29 46.03%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 9, 2002, 11:04   #31
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 08:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Be Quicker
Tell me more !!!

Is this true ???

I seem indeed to recall some GL's that I obtained and lost in the same turn when I had some lone unit which was in a foolish position in AI teritory but still killed two attackers while defending. In hindsight indeed more than chance suggests ... could it be true?
This relates to easily promoting your units to elites, not to getting (more) great leaders. If any one unit kills two enemy units in a single turn, it is guaranteed to be promoted by one rank (unless it is already an elite). However, an elite killing two enemy units in a single turn is NOT guaranteed to generate a leader.
Old September 9, 2002, 11:07   #32
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 03:19
I get plenty of leaders if I play as a miitaristic civ. Otherwise, I'm elated to get one. I always build barracks, so my units are almost all veteran to start out. I save my elites to the best of my ability and use them to either clean up or attack things like longbowmen.
Old September 9, 2002, 11:10   #33
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

dunk, that some really cute avatar!
Old September 9, 2002, 11:11   #34
Be Quicker
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack

This relates to easily promoting your units to elites, not to getting (more) great leaders. If any one unit kills two enemy units in a single turn, it is guaranteed to be promoted by one rank (unless it is already an elite). However, an elite killing two enemy units in a single turn is NOT guaranteed to generate a leader.
Ok. Thanks. Still pretty powerfull. i.e. you can get all your units elite, '100%'. And then (after H. Epic) it is 1/12 at each attack.
Old September 9, 2002, 11:24   #35
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Which is why blitz units (Tanks, Mech Inf, Modern Armor) are the best leader generators. They can become elite quickly and win lots of battles once elite in a short span. Of course, I typically don't really care about generating leaders that late in the game. I'll trade 3 leaders generated by tanks for 1 generated by an archer in 1500bc.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 9, 2002, 11:33   #36
Be Quicker
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Which is why blitz units (Tanks, Mech Inf, Modern Armor) are the best leader generators. They can become elite quickly and win lots of battles once elite in a short span. Of course, I typically don't really care about generating leaders that late in the game. I'll trade 3 leaders generated by tanks for 1 generated by an archer in 1500bc.

-Arrian
Which is why I probably never really noticed. i.e. it is usually "game over" before that. Although my current game might prove to be an exception I fear (because I turned off all victory conditions and the map is large and the difficulty setting is emperor and it is only my second emperor game and i got lucky in the first on a small map).
Old September 9, 2002, 12:52   #37
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

True, early GL's are pricelss, Modern era leaders are ho hum.