View Poll Results: When should we negotiate peace with Persia?
As soon as possible 16 37.21%
Only after acheiving a set military objective 27 62.79%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 2, 2002, 02:25   #1
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Peace with Persia?
Please vote and discuss. When should peace be sought with Persia.

If you choose "only after specific military objectives" please post the military objectives you feel should be captured before peace should be negotiated.

This poll is unofficial. Ends in three days.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old September 2, 2002, 02:47   #2
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 01:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
As I posted in the other thread, there is no guarantee that we can get a quick peace with either Persia or Germany. The AI can be stubborn sometimes, esp. at the higher levels.
Old September 2, 2002, 03:19   #3
caesarqbear
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:20
We need the destruction of Tyre and Sidon, and nothing else against the Persians.
Old September 2, 2002, 03:44   #4
SABRA
Civilization II Democracy Game: Exodus
Warlord

Local Time: 09:20
We need to get Tyre and Sidon .
We should make sure that we ask for the worldmap and whatever money , workers and technology they may have .
Old September 2, 2002, 03:45   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Tyre and Sidon
Old September 2, 2002, 03:46   #6
Vitreous Humor
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:20
IF possible the capture of Tyre & Sidon would be better. They're usless as cities but would provide a buffer to protect the iron at Ubergosk in case the persians ever do an overland march through the jungle. If this isn't possible then destroy them and see what you can squeeze out of the Persians for peace. Probably just a mutual peace treaty but...
Old September 2, 2002, 04:12   #7
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 18:20
The general consensus so far seems to be to take Tyre and Sidon. It could be a good idea, I think, and we might be able to force Persia to be a little...more tolerant.
Old September 2, 2002, 04:35   #8
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

take those two cities , even when we see them useless for now , they could be sitting on top of something we need in the future , ....

have a nice day
Old September 2, 2002, 05:01   #9
Firebird
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 08:20
I agree: Take Tyre and Sidon.
Old September 2, 2002, 06:06   #10
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Sidon and Tyre
Old September 2, 2002, 07:35   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:20
I would rather have it whenever their emissaries learn enough respect to answer us, as I dread a new front at the far edge of the Empire from the old one. Again, I fear that at least one city must be taken before they will even want to talk.

If we take Tyre, and Persia wants peace, how good would the offer need to be before it was acceptable? Or will we go on to Sidon regardless and then get whatever we can?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 2, 2002, 07:45   #12
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I would be inclined to try to take Sidon as well but we may want to end the war if we realize that war weariness is hurting our economy too much.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 2, 2002, 08:16   #13
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

War Weariness? We are not in Democracy, are we ..?
Old September 2, 2002, 08:37   #14
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Tyre and Sidon.
Old September 2, 2002, 08:37   #15
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

We're about to switch to Monarchy. Monarchic rules face some war weariness too. Since Persia and Germany declared war on us war weariness will be very late to come, but if the war continues for too long cities might fall into disorder unless we turn laborers into entertainers or raise the lux slider.
I'm not an expert on war weariness under Monarchic rule. I usually make the jump to Republic and skip Monarchy completely so I don't know how much war weariness Monarchic rules suffer from. I am positive however that there is war weariness in Monarchy (it's in the manual after all).
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 2, 2002, 11:46   #16
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

tyre and sidon or utter failure. So lets go on. On peace terms I say whatever we can get once we have accomplished our goals or failed.
Aggie
Old September 2, 2002, 12:43   #17
Robber Baron
Prince

Tyre and Sidon, agreed.
With one caveat: I say we mount a serious military strike on Germany (see my post in that other poll). So if we fail to take either Persian city quickly, and we can get out of war with minimal cost (some gold, perhaps; no gpt or other concessions), I'd favor a pull-back from Persian adventures.
In other words, Tyre, unless we tire. Sidon, as long as we remember which side we're on.
Old September 2, 2002, 13:04   #18
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Local Time: 07:20
We should take Tyre & Sidon & than get a peace triety as soon as possible, I don't think we want to be messing with 'Immortals'.
Old September 2, 2002, 13:12   #19
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:20
Proceed with the military plans (Sidon and Tyre); the Persians have to pay something for what they received from France. That money was supposed to be OUR money!
Old September 2, 2002, 14:53   #20
Donal Graeme
Warlord

Local Time: 23:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Peace with Persian should come after peace with Germany, as it will be easier to take out Munich first, then Tyre and Sidon.
Old September 2, 2002, 16:42   #21
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

If we don't get a tech from peace with Germany, I want to be one from peace with Persia.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old September 2, 2002, 16:46   #22
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

i posted as soon as possible German is a more interesting adversary to destroy and persia will only be a nuisance while we destroy germany
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old September 2, 2002, 17:50   #23
caesarqbear
Chieftain

War weariness should not be a problem, they declared war on us after all.
Old September 2, 2002, 17:56   #24
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
Proceed with the military plans (Sidon and Tyre); the Persians have to pay something for what they received from France. That money was supposed to be OUR money!
Couldn't have said it better................
Old September 2, 2002, 17:57   #25
Shiber
Emperor

Monarchic regimes don't suffer war weariness. However, I'd like to relate to your second point.
Each civilization has a certain level of war weariness. When you're a Despotic, Monarchic or Communist rule it does not affect you but when you are a Republic it slightly affects the moods of your citizens and when you're a Democracy it greatly affects them.
Now, the interesting bit is that when another civ declares war on you, instead of the other way around, the war weariness level drops (it relieved pre-war tensions ). It can even drop below zero, and this is why it takes the effects of war weariness a longer while to affect your citizens when another civ declares war on you instead of the other way around.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 3, 2002, 04:32   #26
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Capture or destroy Tyre and Sidon.

Then make peace at whatever terms we get - as long as it's them paying us, not the other way around!
Old September 3, 2002, 07:27   #27
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Why stop?
Persia has no Iron! Once we get Pikemen and Knights, this land will bo ours for the taking (or we could just let Gremany or England take it then fight even harder to take it from them). Someone somewhere posted something about taking them out and building to Forbidden Palace there.

We have to oppertunity to eliminate a very aggresive opponet here (and I tend to think myself as a builder). We must take advantage or someone else will.
Old September 3, 2002, 07:59   #28
Vlad Antlerkov
King

Capture Tyre and raze Sidon, then make peace in exchange for them giving techs and/or gold to us.

And if the Persians ever declare war on us again, show no mercy. Eradicate them. If they can't take a hint...
Old September 3, 2002, 11:19   #29
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Depends on Germany, if the germans are hard-headed bastards and wont make reasonable peace, then take peace with persia and kick Bismark's ass. Otherwise, do it the other way around, but do make peace with one or the other

In the long run, I think Germany is the bigger threat. Persia's growth is checked, and even with immortals, I dont think they'd be a huge threat to us in the age of knights in shining armor

One thing to remember is the unstable situation to our north could be bad for us. If there is a clear winner in the germany/aztec-greek wars on either side, we could end up with an unbeatable enemy on our border.
Old September 3, 2002, 13:28   #30
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 03:20
Persia I don't see any benifit for a long war. End as soon as possible. Regarding the two cities, who cares about them? They are worthless right now, and need to have jungle cleared to make them worth wild, which we have enough to do at home right now.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con