Old September 3, 2002, 17:41   #1
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 07:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Visible Sea Route?
what does it mean by 'a sea route being visible'? I have 2 cities both with harbors and on 2 continents, but they are not connected. Why?

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old September 3, 2002, 17:51   #2
Wormwood
Warlord

Local Time: 23:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Perhaps you do not have the required tech. If there is ocean between the continents, you need to wait till Navigation or Magnetism for them to be connected.
Old September 3, 2002, 17:54   #3
zulu9812
King

I actually think that the sea routes should be shown by a line (or something else) on the map - the whole point if navies is to control the trade routes.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old September 3, 2002, 18:12   #4
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 02:26
You must have charted (i.e. you can see) a contiguous route from your harbor city that is connected to your trade web to a harbor city of theirs that is similarly connected. Depending on your technologies, some tiles (ocean, sea) may not count. Thus, during the age of galleys while trade isrestricted to coast only, the route must be drawn on entirely charted coast. If there is no way to reach the other port by charted coast tiles, you don't have a route there.

Confusing to explain, but it makes sense.
Old September 3, 2002, 18:17   #5
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 00:26
Re: Visible Sea Route?
Quote:
Originally posted by Dida
what does it mean by 'a sea route being visible'? I have 2 cities both with harbors and on 2 continents, but they are not connected. Why?
Never seen a visible sea route in civ3.

Not connected: you need to have one naval unit transverse from city A to city B, and then the route will be established.

If you find a way to make the routes visible, post the method.

--PF
Old September 3, 2002, 18:22   #6
neonext
Warlord

of course trading maps counts too, you dont HAVE to explore the sea by ship. as long as there is no shroud blocking the route, and u have the appropriate tech, and both cities have harbors, it will work
Old September 3, 2002, 18:25   #7
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 03:26
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I think cyclo means that the map tiles have been uncovered, and are no longer black.

I don;t think having a naval unit traverse from one city to the other connects them... you need Astronomy to connect through sea tiles, and Magnetism for ocean.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 3, 2002, 19:22   #8
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
I think cyclo means that the map tiles have been uncovered, and are no longer black.
Exactly.

Quote:
I don't think having a naval unit traverse from one city to the other connects them... you need Astronomy to connect through sea tiles, and Magnetism for ocean.
This is true. Even if your galley can pass over a sea tile from coast to coast, trade routes cannot.
Old September 3, 2002, 20:31   #9
Ethelred
King

Re: Visible Sea Route?
Quote:
Originally posted by Dida
Thats VIABLE. Not visible.

It means you need a port or the other civ need a port of your or their ports aren't connected to the Capitol. Or you don't the tech for Ocean travel or any of a number things.

Viable in this instance means functional.
Old September 3, 2002, 22:49   #10
Dida
Prince

In my case, I am in the moderm age, both city have harbors, and all tiles between them are visible. One of the 2 cities with harbor is connected to the network, one is not.

Old September 3, 2002, 22:56   #11
nationalist
Warlord

Maybe there are foreign subs blockading your port.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old September 3, 2002, 22:59   #12
Ethelred
King

Quote:
In my case, I am in the moderm age, both city have harbors, and all tiles between them are visible.
You seem to still have the same problem.

ITS VIABLE

not VISABLE

It doesn't matter if you can see the tiles. I matters if there is a VIABLE not VISABLE path. From YOUR harbor to the other civ's harbor AND to the respective capitols. If you are at war and someone is blockading your harbor the path is not VIABLE. If the other civs don't have harbors it doesn't matter if you do. Not can you trade with a civ you are at war with or has an embargo treaty against you. All of those are reported by the Foreign Advisor as "You must have a VIABLE trade route" CAPS mine.
Old September 3, 2002, 23:14   #13
Dida
Prince

Ethelred, I was talking about 2 of 'my' cities. This doesn't concern other civs. (no " If the other civs don't have harbors it doesn't matter if you do. Not can you trade with a civ you are at war with or has an embargo treaty against you" kind of nonsense). If you cannot read, I have a friend in the English Dept. who can help you out.
For one thing, I know other civs don't have subs, and as the tiles between the cities are all visible, no enemy ship can be there, else I will see it.

Old September 3, 2002, 23:26   #14
Ethelred
King

Quote:
). If you cannot read, I have a friend in the English Dept. who can help you out.
The same one that taught you that VIABLE is the same as VISABLE?

Post a save. Then we can give you a real answer. Otherwise we can only guess. If those cities have harbors thats only part of it. You must have a harbor on your mainland as well. On top of which if you just built the harbor try closing the city and then open it again. Sometimes the harbor doesn't take effect immediatly for some odd reason.

If you post a save soon the I will check. If it takes a while maybe someone else will.