Old September 3, 2002, 18:39   #1
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 03:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Forbidden Palace in Chiquita
I am seariously thinking about starting construction of the forbidden Palace small wonder in the city of Chiquita. Please post your thoughts here in regards to this. Although I am requesting at this time that the temple currently being constructed there be purchased next turn (after the switch to monarchy) and the next item in the que be the forbidden palace, there is a large construction time on this (I have not yet done the math taking into account the increase in production with monarchy, any improvements that will be built, growth, etc.) this will be a many turn project and it is easy enough to switch (and no penalty as in civ2) without any loss.

Please, discuss this as it is a matter for our entire nation to decide, not just me as public works minister.

PS - Aro and the other cartographers out there, if you could please attach a map showing this the location of this city in regards to the continent.... it is due to this central location that I feel it will be best served until late in the industrial age (when we own 2/3 of the world and get a domination victory....) Thanks. GK

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old September 3, 2002, 18:45   #2
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:26
Why not wait until we see how big Uber Isle is?

I agree that we need the FP soon, but I'd rather wait until A) we know how big Uber Isle is, and B) we've got some idea where these wars will leave us.

-- adaMada
Old September 3, 2002, 18:51   #3
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

If uber isle is that large, then we can jump the palace over there at some future time. We need something on the mainland, the FP is very usefull now, and the location of chiquits appears to be very central to the whole continent.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound rough... Those are just my reasons at this time. I am very open to suggestion as this is a very important decision.

--Con
Old September 3, 2002, 18:55   #4
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Ok... I guess I'll withhold further comment until I find out where Chiquita is, then .

-- adaMada
Old September 3, 2002, 19:03   #5
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 01:26
Re: Forbidden Palace in Chiquita
Chiquita?

I think you wrote the wrong city name as Chiquita is the most non-central city we have. Gaia or Timeline would be the best choice for a new capital and I feel the Forbidden Palace might be used in Uber Island (if large) or Persia (would like to annex the whole civ). Greece is third world territory, plains and virtually no resources. The Ivory Coast is nice but all we need is small towns and temple to claim those resources our grassland and Persia's are the potential population supercenters. We need to take Persia before they've built up their infrastructure and have the superior technology and enormous coffers to hire nations to defend them.

Arguments for Gaia:
Central to current empire and city base, we've already started clearing around our older cities.

The capital needs high commerce as it has the least corruption and can potentially be a great center for science and commerce generation.

Gaia has FOUR dyes and a substantial amount of river tiles to give it a vast boost in commerce production.

It is the crossroads of our main N/S road and main E/W road and offers easy transport of units to all fronts, and reinforcements from all cities.

Regardless, I think beginning to build the Forbidden Palace is an excellent idea as if we get Theology the Sistine Chapel could be a greater possibility if we already have a city with significant shield build up.

I drool over the prospect of the Sistine Chapel.
Old September 3, 2002, 19:45   #6
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

I dont know where that city is and I can't load the save (was it one of the captured french cities or one we founded?)

Either way, I say go for it as a shield bank for a future wonder if nothing else.
Old September 3, 2002, 20:00   #7
GodKing
Emperor

Chiquita is near the americans, a city we just founded, and also near greece.

When I said central, I ment in the future it will be central. It obviously isn't now.

--Con
Old September 3, 2002, 20:08   #8
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

It needs to be central to an area of potential that whole continent to the west of Chiquita is pretty much worthless for city growth and production.
Old September 3, 2002, 20:50   #9
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:26
Personally I'd like to see a palace jump to Del Monte.
Old September 3, 2002, 22:13   #10
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

The Sistine Chapel...I doubt we'll build it first since everyone will probably have Theology within a few turns.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old September 3, 2002, 22:38   #11
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
The Sistine Chapel...I doubt we'll build it first since everyone will probably have Theology within a few turns.
I agree, but if we started on Fobidden Palace and through some miracle got it.............

Think of all that grassland for our cities and all those Sistined Cathedrals.
Old September 4, 2002, 01:07   #12
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

This [warrants] a lot of discussion and I feel it should not be begun on short notice.

Benefits of Chiquita:
1. Central to possible future conquests.
2. Good potential for shield output if we can get it to 6 and into WLtK state.
3. Any others?

Drawbacks of Chiquita:
1. Way to far away from Apolyton if we bounce the capitol. Our first 4 cities should always be our best developed and hence most in need of low corruption to get the best bang for buck. Chiquita is too far away.
2. Chiquita is very exposed, it would be easy to lose in a war and would require significant forces tied to it to ensure that did not happen.
3. As mentioned, not as much commerce potential as some other cities. Gold is king in this game.
4. Any others?

Given what I just said, I would say Timeline is the better choice. It can complete the FP in 64 turns from now if it switches from the barracks. It also benefits a mix of the excellent land on the Gallic Plain and the American conquests without going too far from Apolyton (in the event that we rebuild the Palace at some point).
Old September 4, 2002, 01:24   #13
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
Personally I'd like to see a palace jump to Del Monte.
amen to that!

The City Ninot named!
Old September 4, 2002, 10:21   #14
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

One of our core cities could probably build a FP in about 40 turns and we coul then palace jump to chiquita or del monte.

A palace in Chiquita rather than a FP would give us a much better chance of flipping the surrounding cities.
Old September 4, 2002, 10:33   #15
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
One of our core cities could probably build a FP in about 40 turns and we coul then palace jump to chiquita or del monte.

A palace in Chiquita rather than a FP would give us a much better chance of flipping the surrounding cities.
Now that makes strategic sense. That we way we can jump it somewhere useful after flipping.

I don't see wasting the FP on the edge of some desolate wasteland like Chiquita where it would be permanently stuck.
Old September 4, 2002, 11:15   #16
Reddawg
Prince

Well, Uber Isle already is significantly sized... I don't see how Chiquita is a good choice.
Old September 4, 2002, 11:26   #17
GodKing
Emperor

Yes, with uber isle as large as it is, I am leaning away from Chiquita. But where?

--Con
Old September 4, 2002, 11:28   #18
OPD
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
Yes, with uber isle as large as it is, I am leaning away from Chiquita. But where?
I think the maps will be a great help.

Although the isle is looking really good the main body of it is quite far away from poly.
Old September 4, 2002, 11:35   #19
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:26
/me hopes for a GL from Persia

Nothing to do with the FP, though. I want to get our first Leader of the game! Having it ready for the FP would be a nice bonus, though.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 4, 2002, 11:45   #20
GodKing
Emperor

First great leader should be used for an army, so we can build war accademy, etc. We are not military, so getting a great leader is rare.

--Con
Old September 4, 2002, 16:38   #21
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:26
Quote:
Request for a map in the forbidden palace thread - showing chiquita and the immediate vicinity.

Second map (or a link to the existing one) showing the continent.

Thanks.
I posted in the "Request Maps here" thread:

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro

Chiquita's map is done. You will find it (and the new World Map - Abananaba) here .
If you need some corrections, let me know.
A thumbnail:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	chiquitathumb.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	23579  
Old September 4, 2002, 17:41   #22
adaMada
King

Quote:
Again, why don't we wait? Uber isle may be big enough to warrent it's own FP, and forgetting about that totally there's still the question of how far we're going to take our war with the Persians.

Let's wait a few turns and see where we find ourselves.

-- adaMada
Old September 4, 2002, 17:53   #23
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

GodKing requested this map. I, personally, would like to wait a few turns.
Old September 4, 2002, 18:24   #24
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

NOW REMEMBER YOU SHOULD ALWAYS TAKE THINGS IN CONTEXT......................
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	chiquitathumb2.gif
Views:	52
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	23587  
Old September 4, 2002, 18:29   #25
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Hey, Ghengis, this is a excellent cartoon! You should send it to The Jungle Gazette!
Old September 4, 2002, 18:33   #26
OPD
King

Aro
What kind of cartoons do you produce?
Could you post a link to some of your stuff?
Old September 4, 2002, 18:36   #27
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro

Hey, Ghengis, this is a excellent cartoon! You should send it to The Jungle Gazette!
The Jungle Gazette's first Political Cartoon!

GodKing goes down in journalistic history!
Old September 4, 2002, 18:45   #28
Aro
lifer
Emperor

OPD:
I make political cartoons, mostly about our domestic (brazilian) issues. I have a page at my newspaper's site, here is the link. The site is a mess!

Edit: Will be hard to you to understand the cartoons, unless you speak portuguese AND know a lot about our politics... But you can see the pictures!

Last edited by Aro; September 4, 2002 at 18:58.
Old September 4, 2002, 23:12   #29
GodKing
Emperor

Cool cartoon.

--Con
Old September 5, 2002, 08:09   #30
OPD
King

lol the cartoons look good but I don't have a clue whats going on.

I recognised the footballers but I don't think you made Ronaldinhio ugly enough.