Old September 3, 2002, 23:11   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Largest Amount of Cities?
Just wondering, what was the largest amount of cities that you have placed in the game?

I think the limit is 254...

I remember one game where I was playing "colonize the new world" except the "new world" was excessively surreal... being a giant block world in the center of a HUGE map... containing the Natives and Sioux while the Celts, French, English and Spanish invaded

I played as the Spanish...

I think I ended up with 258 or so cities about 1800 AD or so, since in a test I destroyed 2 or three with nukes and I kept getting 20 ERROR messages every turn

The game was excessively fun

Everyone was so far from each other that rails were needed to link and the computer actually put up a fight since the average number of cities per civ was about 50-60-100(the french, who else )
Old September 4, 2002, 08:28   #2
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 02:27
Unless you can keep the AI from building 1, your limit should be 253.
Old September 6, 2002, 19:43   #3
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Ah, I see.
But you can go over the limit- has anyone here beaten my score over the limit?

I can post a file if you like but since it's on a scenario map- I don't think it would count
Old September 7, 2002, 06:01   #4
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 09:27
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud But you can go over the limit
No, you can't... The reason you were getting error messages again and again, was probably because the AI immediately built new cities to fill up to the limit.

Quote:
I can post a file if you like but since it's on a scenario map- I don't think it would count
Bring on the evidence!
Old September 7, 2002, 08:55   #5
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 00:27
Well, you can build a whole lot of cities replacing ones destroyed throughout the game. There would be practical limits, obviously. Even two opponents with 100+ cities could only destroy a few opposing cities every turn as a sustainable rate. They have to consolidate surviving forces, advance to next target, build replacements for losses, and build stlr/engr units to continue replacing lost cities.

If they could each average destroying 8 cities and building 8 replacements every turn for 100 turns that's 800 cities each.
Old September 7, 2002, 12:15   #6
DarkCloud
staff

agh! Give me a few days- I think I lost the CD I put over 100 Downloaded Scenarios On!
I found over 5 backup CD's but not the one I wanted Then I need to figure out how to attach a file- I've never been able to do that

EDIT: Nevermind- I found it: just wondering- how do you ZIP in XP?

And how do I post an Attachment? I've never been successful in doing so on apolyton

Hmm... In EDIT Post it doesn't work- I'll try a new post and delete it if it doesn't work.

Last edited by DarkCloud; September 7, 2002 at 12:21.
Old September 7, 2002, 12:22   #7
DarkCloud
staff

TEST attachment of file:
Attached Files:
File Type: sav spanis37.sav (189.0 KB, 6 views)
Old September 7, 2002, 12:24   #8
DarkCloud
staff

Le Grande Spanish Empire
I've never fully counted all the cities... But that should be it... I haven't looked at the game in a while... So I think CHEAT mode may be enabled- but that's mostly becasue the Zulu for some reason had about 30 Tanks...
Hopefully that isn't the game where I just decided to cheat and nuke all the other civs since all had declared war on me But even if it's that one- try playing a turn and you will receive 20-50 ERROR messages
Old September 7, 2002, 17:21   #9
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Unless you can keep the AI from building 1, your limit should be 253.
Add 1 and you're right
It's 255 overall. If you have an AI civ standed in the pole caps (purple probably), you can destroy other civs and build 255. More is not possible unless you hexedit the civ2.exe And then the game crashes at some time I know because I tried
Old September 8, 2002, 01:12   #10
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 02:27
Picky picky picky, I couldn't remember which one it was.
It's been a long time since those record runs where you actually paid attention to that.

RAH
Old September 8, 2002, 06:10   #11
Julius Brenzaida
King

And yet more picky
I made my counts : Portuguese=19,Zulus=48,French=41,Spanish=94,Native s=28,Eng=25
It’s 255 cities overall. No surprise !
What’s more, I tried to build a new city and the familiar message appeared “impossible to build more”.
Old September 8, 2002, 06:15   #12
Julius Brenzaida
King

For a more comprehensive discussion of the problem, see my thread about my second no-limits add-on in the creation forum. It has been revived recently with some new interesting facts, but as far as I (and everybody else) know, it is not possible to build more than 255 cities in this game.
Old September 9, 2002, 21:28   #13
DarkCloud
staff

Blast

Just wondering- why do I receive error messages every turn?

-
Hmm.. I never knew the Spanish had so many cities
-
I stupidly never counted the errors made me think it was over 255
But then again why the errors Julius... you played more than one turn so you saw them- do they usually happen with exactly 255 cities?