Old September 5, 2002, 13:59   #31
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 08:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
All those insane persons have to be taken care of; who will do that if it is not you ?

Old September 5, 2002, 14:56   #32
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 01:28
You guys must learn:

MrWIA lets this flattery get to his ego. I do not.

There are plenty of fine people who could do better than I.

adaMada, GePap, WhiteBandit, Epistax(well, he's a judge...), Spiffor (if he has time), Just about anyone who is active here can do a fine job at President. It takes no more time than you already spend posting...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 5, 2002, 15:16   #33
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:28
Bhah I'll go out on a whim and run for pres.

I have free time and know whats going on.

I was going to go for something another position but there's nothing that really interests me.

BTW I'd ideally like someone to run against me. Elections are fun and it's undemocratic to have an uncontested pres election.
Old September 5, 2002, 18:09   #34
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:28
Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
Oh, really.

And who is going to CONTINUE making those tools? HMM?

Will the next VP?

That will play a part in my decision, along with many other factors.
I was kidding about the 'absolute power' thing, though I do think you'd make a great president.

Quote:
If you want me to be honest, that week I had Migraines over all the stress surrounding those turns. I did not enjoy it all that much, and was more concerned over making mistakes than I was enjoying the experience.
Of course, if being President was stressing you out, then you shouldn't be it. I still maintain that you'd be perfect for the job, but...

Quote:
I am flattered, but really, that decision will be made based on a number of variables including my wife, kids, job, and who is running for VP and my discussions with them in private. In That Order.
Real life and enjoyment comes first, obviously .

Quote:
I'll say it again.

You are all insane.

I did not even accomplish the goals I set out to do as VP!

1. Create the Directory. OK, Got that done.

2. Create a standard for chat/threads. Well, working on that still, going right direction at least.

3. ReWrite the CoL to the compromise version. Not done, won't get done...

See, I can't even do my current job to my own satisfaction, now you want me to take on being President?
Ok, I've got to argue with this . You've been a great VP -- you've done by far more than any previous one has (with no offense to Timeline). You managed to organize what was largely unorganized before, and also forfilled the traditional VP duties. Really, saying that you didn't accomplish goals is crazy...

Quote:
There are plenty of fine people who could do better than I.

adaMada, GePap, WhiteBandit, Epistax(well, he's a judge...), Spiffor (if he has time), Just about anyone who is active here can do a fine job at President. It takes no more time than you already spend posting...
Thanks for the compliment, but I couldn't do nearly as good a job as is already being done, nor would I want to try. Maybe a minister in a few terms, but I couldn't even begin to match the wonderful work that's already been done.

I don't mean to imply in any part of this that you should run for President if you don't want to -- saying that before was a joke. Having said that, I'm morally obligated to keep arguing with you while you say that you did a lousy job, so... .

-- adaMada

Edit: Damnit! I hate it when I sign my name twice, lol.
Old September 5, 2002, 18:10   #35
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
Bhah I'll go out on a whim and run for pres.

I have free time and know whats going on.

I was going to go for something another position but there's nothing that really interests me.

BTW I'd ideally like someone to run against me. Elections are fun and it's undemocratic to have an uncontested pres election.
Another great canidate . I'm very happy to hear that you'll be running, OPD.

Please don't take my insistance that UnOrthO would make a great canidate as being against you -- it's just that he would . I think you'll do a fine job too, however, and wish you the best of luck in the coming weeks.

-- adaMada

EDIT: Oh yea! Finally up to 1.0 posts per day . It's not as good as Shiber, but I took a two year break from 'poly, so... I think this is a sign of good luck for your election, OPD .
Old September 5, 2002, 18:34   #36
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:28
cheers adam

I hope UnOr does decide to run for it too as elections rock.

He very well may do as apoc is running for VP.
Old September 5, 2002, 20:13   #37
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:28
Quote:
You guys must learn:

MrWIA lets this flattery get to his ego. I do not.
Sounds harsh but it's true. I'm a sucker for a compliment.

I agree that uncontested elections are not the greatest, but there is no point in harrassing someone until they accept the nomination (except usually me). UnOrthO, you HAVE been an amazing VP, even if not everything you wanted done is accomplished yet. But think on this everyone: having a position like VP or Prez, apart from the actual responsibilities of playing the game or whatever, you feel obliged to post as much as you can, to read everything etc. This costs me some time that might well be better spent if I had no such position. In fact, once I am no longer Prez, I feel I could afford to skip a day of posting if I wanted to, whereas ATM this idea offends my sense of duty.

With the ideas that UnOrthO has for the game, I believe I or anyone could help facilitate these things quite effectively if one does not have that position. It will become something you do not because you need to, but because you feel like it at the time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, although we need a good Prez and VP etc, the posters who do not have such positions or feel they would be tied into these positions may well be just as productive for the game, if not more so, than those for whom this is a kind of job. A position in Government is fun, but you need to be prepared to feel the responsibility to post daily, or pretty close to daily. It is obvious UnOrthO feels now that he would like to do without that feeling for this next term. I do too, although I fully intend to be back for the following term, and maybe run for Prez again (your worst nightmare! ). UnOrthO certainly is going to hang around (I hope), and I believe that his talents will be put to equally good use here as they have been with him as VP, perhaps even more so.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 5, 2002, 21:10   #38
adaMada
King

I agree with everything that MWIA just said , except perhaps the part about him running for Prez again being my worst nightmare.

My worst nightmare would probably be me running for Prez and screwing everything up ... you running again would only be close second .

Seriously, I do hope you come back and run in a term or two. You did a great job this term, dispite a rocky start that was outside of your control... let's finish this in style, and maybe you can come back for some more in a month or two .

-- adaMada
Old September 5, 2002, 23:16   #39
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 23:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Wow! I'm quite flattered that Unortho holds quite a few of us to such high regard! However, I do think he would make an excellent President! Even MWIA if he wants to run again! Yes!!

But thanks for the compliments Unortho. Even though you may not have achieved everything you hoped for, you still did a fantastic job stepping in for MWIA. Thanks!

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old September 5, 2002, 23:35   #40
adaMada
King

UnOrthO,
One new thought. I don't remember hearing about any compromise version of the CoL you were looking into -- was there some thread I missed on it? The Constitutional Convention will probably be rewriting many parts of the CoL, and I think I speak for the other members when I say that I'd love to hear any ideas you have.

That seems to be the main thing you didn't manage to get done in this month, and I know the convention is looking for any and all good ideas, especially now as soon there'll have to be some decisions about which direction we should head in...

That goes for any citizens who have any good ideas, actually. I don't know if the other members are doing anything yet, but I was chatting with NYE today and it seemed like we're both at least thinking right now -- feel free to PM or post anything along that you may come up with.

-- adaMada
Old September 6, 2002, 07:17   #41
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 01:28
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=56787

There you go.

I will not be running this term. I want to take some time with the family before the weather turns. We have some season passes to a local amusement park and a local zoo that I intend to put to good use over the next month, on through October.

The Goals are mine to make. A fairlure to meet them is also mine. It just goes back to me in RL, and my attitude.

I will not have the time this comming term to impliment any goals that I may have for the role of President. I hope someone will maintain something of a directory this comming term as well, or appoint someone to do it. I just want to go back to the blissfull job of being a reporter for a time.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 6, 2002, 07:52   #42
adaMada
King

Quote:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=56787

There you go.
I'll read what's there and consider it all.

Quote:
I will not be running this term. I want to take some time with the family before the weather turns. We have some season passes to a local amusement park and a local zoo that I intend to put to good use over the next month, on through October.
Ok . Family time is always good. No one can argue with Real Life taking precedent over the Demogame.

Quote:
The Goals are mine to make. A fairlure to meet them is also mine. It just goes back to me in RL, and my attitude.

I will not have the time this comming term to impliment any goals that I may have for the role of President. I hope someone will maintain something of a directory this comming term as well, or appoint someone to do it. I just want to go back to the blissfull job of being a reporter for a time.
I'm still not sure I agree that you didn't meet the Goals you listed, but they are your goals, not mine, so... The directory is a very good innovation, and you've managed to organize many aspects of the forums as they've never been organized before. (Orders, the Directory, a clean list of TOPs, etc). My hat's off to you for your accomplishments during this term, and I hope that you'll see it fit to return and lead us in the future.

Three cheers for UnOrthO (And MWIA, but that'll have to be a different thread ).

-- adaMada
Old September 6, 2002, 10:57   #43
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:28
I'm sorry to know you don't want to run, Unortho, but I have wife and kids, too. You're right, man, they are the most important thing in your life, and I strongly support your decision. I don't want to flatter your ego, but I must say how important is the structure you left for your successor. And what amazing job you've done for this game. You, MWIA and all other members of your term. About your goals... you are the only one in position to feel if you did it or not, but, IMO, you did, and very well.
Thanks for all, for your intelligence and for your dedication.
I hope you can continue your work at the jungle Gazette, at least. Your presence here is always a pleasure.