Old October 8, 2002, 21:45   #91
NeOmega
Prince

Local Time: 23:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
kinna like this mebbe.... forgive the choppiness I threw it together real quick like and it is my first attempt ever at using animation shop.....

I kinna imagine an "eloci" appearing and fading frm the V, and a "ames" from the G, in matching colors.

Then the sundial could become the box symbol, and the animation the game opening sequence.
Attached Images:
File Type: gif animation4.gif (157.1 KB, 144 views)
Old October 9, 2002, 00:49   #92
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 02:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Chowlett: Well, I've had it since chieftain, so probably not. Maybe I'm due for a change... by the way, it starts with an "I" and ends with a "nferno."

NeOmega: Very nice. Could you try it so that only the backround shows, not the blue screen?

Last edited by Cyclotron; October 9, 2002 at 00:55.
Old October 9, 2002, 01:33   #93
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 07:29
NeO, what 3d prog are you using?

Very cool, though I liked it when it had the V and the G in the same 'shot'. Turning it thus looses the V, so all you have is the G, which makes me sad. Keep plugging.
Old October 9, 2002, 01:45   #94
Cyclotron
King

I don't know... if the V and G are both highlighted (only the G is now) and they are shown in quick succession, I would almost prefer they not be shown at the same time. How about that?
Old October 9, 2002, 02:10   #95
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I like the look of that very much NeOmega.
Old October 9, 2002, 04:28   #96
NeOmega
Prince

I am using a little program from seattle called rhinoceros 3d eval 2.0. You can download it at zd net. It has a real easy tutorial, and you'll be 3-d'in in no time.
Old October 9, 2002, 04:33   #97
NeOmega
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7

NeOmega: Very nice. Could you try it so that only the backround shows, not the blue screen?
But of course, I could cut down the choppiness and the border too. That would take time though.... :P I'll work on it later, although I think having no background at all except perhaps the dark blue turning to sky blue would be better. A sundial is almost the opposite of the idea of velocity isn't it? Of course my sense of candle'bre from what I read is, it ain't gonna be a shooter :P

also... about the animation, the animation just points out the V and the G..... that way if the logo is ever seen in it's static state, after viewing the animation, the V and G will be much more apparent. I think for some reason even the static sundial captured a good sense of motion.
Old October 9, 2002, 09:39   #98
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

NeOmega

Very nice for a rough draft. The only suggestions that I would make are to make the inital V more predominate and then to add a fade away on the V when rotating and a fade to predominance on the G instead of one huge change. I also agree on the comments about the background, but know that this was a sketch.
Old October 9, 2002, 19:40   #99
Cyclotron
King

RPM, I agree entirely.

Well, I wasn't under the impression it was named Velocigames because of anything to do with velocity...
Old October 9, 2002, 21:22   #100
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by NeOmega
I am using a little program from seattle called rhinoceros 3d eval 2.0. You can download it at zd net. It has a real easy tutorial, and you'll be 3-d'in in no time.
Tutorial? Bah, I know how to 3-d, I just need to know where the tools are.
Old October 10, 2002, 01:07   #101
NeOmega
Prince

There are a host of them out there, maya and 3dmax also have trial versions.
Old October 10, 2002, 01:33   #102
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

So how does Rhino compare with Maya and 3dsmax in your opinion?
Old October 10, 2002, 02:45   #103
NeOmega
Prince

don't know..... Maya requires a pentium 500 or more but 512 Megs of RAM! I found that out after I downloaded it. (athlon 1700 + 256 megs RAM)

I downloaded 3dmax yesterday. I am so used to Rhino however, that I'll probably wait until I am finished with my mod before I try out 3d max.

3d max has 3d animations... rhino is simply a renderer.

However, I was amazed at the ease of Rhino's tutorial. I started my first unit (Blitz RAV) 3 hours after I downloaded.

Rhino's tutorial is limited by 25 saves, but if you can mae every one count, you can use it for quite a while... (I stil have 15 saves left, and I have created over 15 units, plus tons of graphic for civ 3 customization).
Old October 17, 2002, 02:55   #104
TechWins
King

Local Time: 00:29
Wow, I don't think I have any chance at all now. Those are some pretty swate (my version of sweet) pictures by the rest of you.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 20, 2002, 23:27   #105
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

do a video clip...start with a peaceful shot of a prehistoric jungle with a dino on a stroll.....scroll the letters "veloci" across the screen and cut to a couple of raptors stalking with a predatory gleam in their eyes...scoll the letters "games" across the screen and then cut to a scene of a lightning and coordinated attack by the raptors ending with a closeup of the terrified eyes of the prey, cut to a blood red screen with a dino scream of pain that morphs into a human scream....
Old October 21, 2002, 02:33   #106
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

or... start with a dinosaur in a peaceful jungle, veloci scrolls across the screen. Then suddenly a giant sundile with games on it crashes down and squishes it.

Neo, unfortunatly my working style does not permit me to be frugal with saves, so I'm likely to use up the 25 on just one or two decent projects. I'm already down to 22 just starting to assemble a dinosaur I drew during Calculus. No, not related to the logo contest or CB, but something to let me try some stuff out. Still, 25 saves will be a pain in my neck, among other parts of my anatomy.
Old October 21, 2002, 05:07   #107
NeOmega
Prince

hmm. If you are using your own computer, simply leave it on over night while you are not working on it, That's what I do.

It is very stable. Only thing is after a while it will say "this file has changed, do you want to save?" simply cancel.
Old October 21, 2002, 08:24   #108
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

I would do that, save I have a laptop, and a roomate. Thats all I can say about that for now. Still, thanks for the help.
Old October 25, 2002, 13:43   #109
Cyclotron
King

Hey, is that prize still out there? C'mon guys... I really want a new Velocigames avatar.
Old October 25, 2002, 15:13   #110
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Oh! A VG avatar! GREAT thought, Master Cyclo!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old October 25, 2002, 18:02   #111
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

I think the rules were (and still hope they are) that it will be decided after Christmass. That will give me ample time enough to wing out more ideas inbetween classes.
Old October 26, 2002, 21:04   #112
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 03:29
im having fun just lookin at these logos!

my favorites so far:
-MarkG's
-BustaMikes
-xRamsesx's second try
-FP's shining light
-hexagonians
Old November 10, 2002, 01:10   #113
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:29
When's the closing date?
Old November 10, 2002, 01:19   #114
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

End of the year, bud!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old November 18, 2002, 07:01   #115
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 09:29
Games company logo the way they looked back in early 90's
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	vel1 copy.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	29605  

Last edited by statusperfect; November 18, 2002 at 07:30.
Old November 18, 2002, 10:10   #116
Velociryx
staff

It had been rather quiet 'round these parts for a while....thank you for reviving this thread, and I like it!

Keep the entries coming! They've been fantastic so far!

-=Vel=-
Old December 2, 2002, 12:03   #117
Velociryx
staff

Last call!!

We're getting close to the end of the life of the contest, and we've got some fantastic entires in so far....if you're looking to slip one in under the wire, there's still time!

-=Vel=-
Old December 2, 2002, 12:07   #118
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Vel: you might want to ask Mark and Dan to make a news item about this. It should get more notice that way and the significant prize should draw in good entries.

(not that we don't have good entries already)

any hint about which one you prefer so far? are you gonna pick it yourself?
Old December 2, 2002, 12:13   #119
Velociryx
staff

Good thinkin' on the news item!

And as far as favorites go.....man....that's a tough one! There are tons of really good ones, but the ones that stand out as I'm thinking back over them would be Busta's medievalish ones, Ram's candle-and-groovy font, Neo's sundial idea is tops! Then there was the "feathered" V (motion or speed implication), the 'raptor one was coolio too....arrrrgh! So many great ones that it's going to be agonizing to pick, but....that's a good sort of agony I'd say!

-=Vel=-

PS: The cowage entry won lots of cool points too, btw! Was considering getting in touch with Gateway....
Old December 2, 2002, 16:56   #120
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
The contest is over at the end of the year right? I've got tons of school work right now, but next week I'll try and enter 1 or 2 more like I said I would a long time ago.

I gotta do something to upstage that awesome sundial right?