King

Local Time: 04:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
City Expansion v2.0
City Expansion Mod v2.0

by Pedrunn and BlueO

You can find this mod here:
http://apolyton.net/dir/index.php?si...ts=3746&cat=28

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I. Introduction
II. Installation
III. How Does It Works?
IV. Graphics

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I. Introduction

The concept of having cities expanding was first idealize by the apolytioneer BlueO. At that time there was no way of changing the terrain or tile improvements. So he created city graphics as good. This mean the city was actually a good that could be traded. The idea of cities being traded, added to that several game-play bugs and the difficulty of implementing it. The idea did not had good acceptancy to the CTP2 community. The project was forgotten. But the concept still remaint in the head of several CTP2 modmakers. Including me.
After the Tiledit was released by Martin, the Dane. It became possible to create and edit terrain a tile improvements graphics. This is made possible to redo all the city expansion coding concept. This way after a while learning the Slic language I used the BlueO's ExpandCity function to make cities grow using tile improvements. After more than a month working in this project I have finally achieved my goal. The City Expansion v2.0 is totally functional and bug free.

II. Instalation

Basic Prerequisites:
1) Download and install the CTP2 Patch 1.11 --> http://apolyton.net/dir/index.php?si...ts=3746&cat=30
2) Download and install the Modswapper --> http://apolyton.net/dir/index.php?si...ts=3746&cat=29
3) Download and install the Apolyton Tile File --> http://apolyton.net/dir/index.php?si...ts=3746&cat=39

Make sure the prerequisites are ok.
Unzip the file cityexpansion.zip (where this document is inside) in your CTP2 base
You will find the option to play with it when launching Modswapper.

III. How Does It Work?

The Expansion

The city expansion works adding a terrain graphic aside the city every time a city reaches a multiple of three (3, 6, 9, 12, 15, …120) population number until the max number of 120 in every land terrain except forests, swamps, forests, jungles, mountains and glaciers (if the city is settled in land) or every deep or rift sea terrain (if it is a sea city) . And for those ages that the set of cities has more than one city size graphics the citiesy will continually upgrade to a bigger size as the city grow.
The city kills all food collecting from the tile but increases the production and gold input from it.
If there is no possible terrains (mountains, shallow water and sea terrain for land cities and shallow sea or land terrain for sea cities) in the city radius or all possible ones are already taken by city expansion. The city has reached a maximum number of pop so it can't grow anymore.
If the tile has forests, swamps or jungles the city cant grow either but it will create a couple plains tiles to prepare for the next expansion.
Once the city expansion is added it cant be removed anymore.

The Losing of Pop and dead city expansions

If the city looses population from starvation or after being captured and reaches a city
population one number smaller then the multiple of three that were supposed add the new tile improvement the city expansion next to the city dies. What I mean by saying that the city expansion dies is that a dead/ruins city takes it place. The dead city doesn't only kill all food input but also the gold and the production. In another words, the tile works as if it was a dead terrain.

- The building of settlers, urban planners and sea engineers will kill one city expansion;
- The enslavent the population of a city by slaver one city expansion will also kill one city expansion
- When an abolitionist removes slaves from the city one city expansion will die.

When happens the death of a big number of population the cities expansions in the radius will get killed according to the population killed.

-The totally death of a city for the actual death of all pop (Cretate Park or slic related events)
- Nuking a city.
- When the city is plagued.

The only event not related to the death of population that creates a dead tile is pillaging. Any player can pillage another player city expansion. This will also cause the death of the city expansion.

Once a dead city expansion is added it can't be removed anymore. (Ghost Cities). The only way to remove them is to expand the city and by that replacing it by a brand new city expansion or terraforming the city.

Entering City Ages

Once a player researchs a defined advance it means he has achieved a city expansion age. That in most case will be parallel to the entering of an age in the game. This will make cities expansion from early ages to be replaced for modern ones as the city expands. You must not that this transition of city expansions as in real-life is slow and only one or two will be replaced every time a city expands. And as nowadays you may find really developed nations with cities using old archtecture since the city did not follow the progress of its nation. Every age has it series of graphics for big, medium and/or small cities. The place of different expansion of a city depends on the size of the city. Currently Ancient and medieval has one tile; modern has three; and, genetic and diamond has two.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download of the mod:

http://apolyton.net/dir/index.php?si...ts=3746&cat=28
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; September 4, 2002 at 18:39.
Old September 4, 2002, 18:09   #2
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

IV. Graphics

Those are the used graphics in the code. They are already included in the Apolyton Tile File
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	cityx2.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	23585  
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; September 4, 2002 at 18:24.
Old September 5, 2002, 11:48   #3
ahenobarb
Prince

Local Time: 07:29
Pendrunn, this is truly inspired work! I can't wait to try it. This is something I have wanted to be part of the civilization series since Civ I.

The screenshot Locutus put up is amazing.

One thing that would be interesting to add is that if you have a dead city tile and say 100-200 years pass, it would be interesting if it were to turn to plains as the environment reclaims the land. Sort of like the Roman forum sinking into the mud during the middle ages, or Troy being buried under earth.

This is great, stuff!
Old September 5, 2002, 15:32   #4
Pedrunn
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ahenobarb
Pendrunn, this is truly inspired work! I can't wait to try it. This is something I have wanted to be part of the civilization series since Civ I.
The moment i've seen the first version of this code made by BlueO in the database. I fell in love for it. The fixing and improvement of this first version was something was almost like a call from a bigger force.

Quote:
The screenshot Locutus put up is amazing.
Start plaing it as i did and you will see how much better the visual of the game is improved. It is like playing a total new game
Quote:
One thing that would be interesting to add is that if you have a dead city tile and say 100-200 years pass, it would be interesting if it were to turn to plains as the environment reclaims the land. Sort of like the Roman forum sinking into the mud during the middle ages, or Troy being buried under earth.
It is already in my mind the disappeareing of the ruins after some time. Probably 100 turns is the best. So far i hope you enjoy the game. And i am dying to hear some more comments and suggestions
-Jean Rostand
Old September 5, 2002, 15:38   #5
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 08:29
Quote:
The fixing and improvement of this first version was something was almost like a call from a bigger force.
What, me, when I started it?
Old September 5, 2002, 16:21   #6
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

This is a prime example of the huge benefits of CtP2 and its customisability. They release Civ3 and what happens? CtP2 with its modding "gurus" introduces another new idea and moves on a step
Old September 6, 2002, 05:54   #7
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:29
Uhm, actually, the idea of City Expansion was born looong before Civ3 (look in the Directory for v1.0 of this mod by BlueO, made in late 2000) - it's just that the release of Martin the Dane's TileEdit, which was the sole thing that made this mod possible, happened to more or less coincide with the release of Civ3. But there's no connection of any kind there (none that I know of anyway)...
Old September 6, 2002, 07:16   #8
Pedrunn
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

What, me, when I started it?
Actually at first i was such an unexperienced slicer that i thought i could only help with graphics. You were really the one that first rescued this concept. But i kept going

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
This is a prime example of the huge benefits of CtP2 and its customisability. They release Civ3 and what happens?
Thats why i still laugh when i see the IW's signature:

"I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis
-Jean Rostand
Old September 6, 2002, 08:05   #9
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Uhm, actually, the idea of City Expansion was born looong before Civ3 (look in the Directory for v1.0 of this mod by BlueO, made in late 2000) - it's just that the release of Martin the Dane's TileEdit, which was the sole thing that made this mod possible, happened to more or less coincide with the release of Civ3. But there's no connection of any kind there (none that I know of anyway)...
Of course i had seen the original in the old directory a long time ago. Just poking fun at civ3

Gonna have a look at this now.
Old September 6, 2002, 08:13   #10
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Yeah, I had misread your post but couldn't be bothered to edit it...
Old September 6, 2002, 10:11   #11
Maquiladora
Emperor

As i didnt follow its development too closely I dont know if this has been seen in the official thread for City Expansion Mod but i just tried it and saw this...

I was using unmodded ctp2.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	23713  
Old September 6, 2002, 10:21   #12
Locutus
Deity

Looks like there's one tile imp too many - and out of place
Old September 6, 2002, 10:29   #13
Pedrunn
King

This happened once every game when i started the testing. All games i tested i only went as far as the 200 turn.
I had forgotten this since i was getting deep into others bugs. Could you please. Go to the cheat editor, terraform this city expansion and continue playing. Warn me if it happens again. Amazingly it didnt happened again in my games. Yet i did not play the whole game.
Since it cant be the AI having Subneural Ads otherwise it would build a diamond age city. Or any slic related since i reviewed the code over and over again. I have my hands tied up
The report from your game will be a major help for me if you want/can help me of course.
I already have an idea to fix this but i need to know how often this happens.

What turn are you in?

Anyway i will review the code again

Sorry
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; September 6, 2002 at 10:36.
Old September 6, 2002, 10:39   #14
Locutus
Deity

The key is to find out under which conditions exactly this Genetic Age tile imp is created - then it should be easy enough to trace in the code what's going on. I wanted to try this code soon anyway, I'll see if I can be of assistance...
Old September 6, 2002, 10:44   #15
Maquiladora
Emperor

OK well i check the whole map and its the only time this bug happened. Im in turn 75. I checked the tile imp (right click) and it gave food-5 prod-45 comm-40. It was a plains tile with a river on. Thats about all i can say, there were size 8/9 cities and they looked to be doin great.
Old September 6, 2002, 10:53   #16
Pedrunn
King

Quote:
OK well i check the whole map and its the only time this bug happened.
Same as with me
Quote:
I checked the tile imp (right click) and it gave food-5 prod-45 comm-40.
Yep it is a Genetic city. That its bonus.

Quote:
It was a plains tile with a river on. Thats about all i can say, there were size 8/9 cities and they looked to be doin great.
thanks for the info. Will you continue the game?
-Jean Rostand
Old September 6, 2002, 11:03   #17
Maquiladora
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn

thanks for the info. Will you continue the game?
Yeah, ill let you know if it happens again. Ill start a new one with Apolyton pack later. I just wanted to see it in action
Old September 6, 2002, 11:18   #18
Pedrunn
King

Quote:

Yeah, ill let you know if it happens again. Ill start a new one with Apolyton pack later. I just wanted to see it in action
The Apolyton Pack with the city expansion or just the apolyton pack?

I will write a fix now. But unfortunetly we can only see if it worked actually playing the game.
-Jean Rostand
Old September 6, 2002, 11:34   #19
Maquiladora
Emperor

I was gonna start a long game with apolyton pack and city expansion but ill wait for this fix and test that out with a long game.
Old September 6, 2002, 11:50   #20
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Excluding that small bug, this mod looks so damn cool. Well done Pedrunn and everyone else who helped. I would love to try it but my modswapper dont work properly so ill wait until it is added to a bigger mod eg Cradle or MM2 and download that

SMIFFGIG

P.S how does it work with the visible wonders mod, do the city expansions go around the wonder or what. More screenshots would be nice
Old September 6, 2002, 11:52   #21
Pedrunn
King

Here is the fix for the city expansion:
Unzip it inside you CTP2 main directory.
We just need to test it now

I will create a pack to easy install the city expansion for the apolyton pack with this fix now. (just wait a couple of minutes)
Attached Files:
File Type: zip city expansion fix.zip (4.9 KB, 23 views)
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; September 6, 2002 at 11:58.
Old September 6, 2002, 12:32   #22
Pedrunn
King

Here it is the add-on for the apolyton pack to have the City Expansion (last fix included). Just unzip inside the CTP2 main directory. The option Apolyton Pack + City Expansion! will appear in the Modswapper mod menu
Attached Files:
File Type: zip apolyton city expansion.zip (30.8 KB, 35 views)
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; September 6, 2002 at 14:31.
Old September 6, 2002, 17:40   #23
Pedrunn
King

Is it just me or did anyone of you guys who tried playing this mod got the advance SubNeural Ads after creating a city?

Thats where the problem should have bee. So i am alreading writting another fix.
-Jean Rostand
Old September 6, 2002, 17:55   #24
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Pedrunn, would it be over-hard to make another 5 advances, with themselves as pre-requisites, for the ancient, med, modern, genetic and diamond city ex's - to avoid overusing subby ads
Old September 6, 2002, 18:05   #25
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Pedrunn, would it be over-hard to make another 5 advances, with themselves as pre-requisites, for the ancient, med, modern, genetic and diamond city ex's - to avoid overusing subby ads
Actual I wanted to add another advance to the game, therefore I used subby ads in GoodMod. And remember with all the advances you have a long time in MedPack and Cradle if a goody hut contains a unit.

So subby ads can still get some tile imps that is the compensation, because it can't be researched.

-Martin
Old September 7, 2002, 09:13   #26
Pedrunn
King

Update v2.1
Here is the new update version for city Expansion

Adds:

--> A dead city last only 100 turns. If the dead city doesnt get terraformed or replaced by a regular city and this times has passed it just disapears to simulate the reclaims of nature.

Fixes all known bugs by:

--> Making impossible the creating of a certain city improvement if the player doesnt have the required advance of the age.

--> Fixing the giving of the advance Subneural Ads when creating a city.

Instalation: Just unzip inside the CTP2 main directory. You must have the City Expansion 2.0 installed.

THERE IS A NEWER UPDATE IN THE NEXT PAGE
page 2
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; October 7, 2002 at 06:23.
Old September 7, 2002, 09:16   #27
Pedrunn
King

City Expansion v2.1 for Apolyton Pack
City Expansion Addon for Apolyton Pack + update v2.1

Instalation: Just unzip inside the CTP2 main directory. You must have the Apolyton Pack installed.

THERE IS A NEWER UPDATE IN THE NEXT PAGE
page 2
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; October 7, 2002 at 06:27.
Old September 7, 2002, 09:43   #28
Locutus
Deity

Okay, I played a few hundred turns yesterday, here's what I found so far:

1) When I build regular tile imps myself (roads, fortesses, farms, etc), sometimes I the first tile imp I place in a given turn is created instantly, I don't have to wait the usual 1-4 turns before it's finished. The game seems to think it's a city tile imp and creates it instantaneously...

2) City tile imps can be built over roads/railroads (leaving them intact) but I can't build roads/railroads over city tile imps. That's quite annoying 'cause in a large city that means it takes me 3 turns to travel from 1 side of town to the other. Either city tile imps should have the same movement effects as roads/cities or one should be allowed to build roads on top of them...

3) Sometimes, when certain cities to a size where they should get a new city tile imp, they don't get this, even though there is plenty of room to create them. The city itself continues to grow just fine, but no additional tile imps are created. As I said, this oddly enough appears to happen only in some cities and after a while the effect dissappears again and city imps are created normally again upon city growth...

4) When the population of a city shrinks and a tile imp needs to be turned into a ruin, not 1 but *all* tile imps are turned into ruinn.

5) Should it be possible to build tile imps in forests and on hills? 'Cause If seen it happens many, many times, even when there were still grassland/plains tiles available. I don't really mind myself, but I don't think this is supposed to happen (but I must say that it would make more sense to fill up plains/grassland first before moving to less habitable terrain).

6) I noticed that some 1-tile island cities right next to a larger continent had city imp on the main continent. Looks rather odd. Not sure if this should be fixed, but I thought I'd at least mention it...

7) pillaging tiles doesn't shrink the population of the city, I thought this was supposed to happen - or am I mistaken?
Old September 7, 2002, 09:51   #29
Locutus
Deity

Some nice screenies of one section of my empire developing over time, for those who want to see this mod in action: here (modem users beware: I have a high screen resolutions so the pics are pretty large).

Edit: smaller screenies here (lower quality).
Old September 7, 2002, 11:15   #30
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Nice screenies

How come in the last two screens it is modern era yet most of the city expansion is renaissance era. Should these not automatically change to modern style?

SMIFFGIG