Old September 5, 2002, 09:22   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
2002: The Game Year
Just wondering, do you consider 2002 to be one of the best game years?

Just look at the games released this year (or close to it):
Zoo Tycoon
Empire Earth
Neverwinter Nights
Homm4
Warcraft III
etc.

Compared to the last 2 years, 2002 is just amazing

-
So... do you think that 2002 is a reverse year in the history of computer gaming. Will it once again begin to release some good games again?
Old September 6, 2002, 18:39   #2
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 17:31
No, not a particularly good year. None of those games you mentioned interest me in the slightest. Just another year.

Bkeela.
Old September 6, 2002, 19:39   #3
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:31
At the end we might get Hearts of Iron and Lionheart. IceWind Dale II isn't that bad supposedly. SimGolf was pretty fun for a while.

It wasn't that bad.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old September 6, 2002, 19:45   #4
Tuberski

Where is Morrowind on your list, DC?
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 6, 2002, 19:48   #5
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Quote:
The obvious, and pedantic answer is "nowhere". So I shall give it.

Nowhere.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old September 6, 2002, 22:27   #6
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Chowlett
Quote:
The obvious, and pedantic answer is "nowhere". So I shall give it.

Nowhere.
Okay, how about "Why isn't it on the list?"
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 7, 2002, 04:49   #7
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 09:31
Re: 2002: The Game Year
Zoo Tycoon - Wasn't that released last year?
Empire Earth - Never tried...
Neverwinter Nights - Never will try
Homm4 - Got no clue whatsoever this is...
Warcraft III - It's good, but it lags on replayability
etc.

How about mentioning the games that's about to be released (go to www.gonegold.com to find a good list, of yet-to-come games)...Just to mention a few:

RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 - The first one was great, so it'll be nice to get some more featues

SimCity 4 - Damn it looks good, if it'll be released this year, then it'll be the game of the year (If my computer is fast enough to run it...)

But apart from those two games, there's nothing special about the games released/to-be-released this year...
Old September 7, 2002, 12:02   #8
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Morrowind- not on my list because I hate most 3D games- Empire Earth/.Newerwinter Nights being the only good 3D games that I know of. But it probably should be on the list because it is considered a 'good' game

RCT2 looks horrid. All they seem to be adding are 'real parks' which is a disgusting rip off.

As for simCity4- it looks promising- but I doubt it will be released this year.

Homm4- heroes of might and magic IV- Turn Based RPG strategy gaming
Old September 7, 2002, 12:03   #9
DarkCloud
staff

But if you don't think 2002 was that great a year- what was the best year for games? 1994- Civ II
or some other year?
Old September 7, 2002, 13:11   #10
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
RCT2 looks horrid. All they seem to be adding are 'real parks' which is a disgusting rip off.
Well...graphics haven't been what dragged people into RCT... But at least (from what I've read) they have changed the most annoying things from the original game, and added some stuff...though it looks more like an addon, but it's still among the most funny/replayable games to be (or has been) released this year...

Quote:
As for simCity4- it looks promising- but I doubt it will be released this year.
At the moment it is set to be released late this year, and they told they were ahead the schedule... though I wouldn't be supprised if it wont be released this year (But you're allowed to hope, right?)
Old September 7, 2002, 13:13   #11
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
But if you don't think 2002 was that great a year- what was the best year for games? 1994- Civ II
or some other year?
I haven't looked that much on which games was released which year, before now, so I can't tell...
Old September 8, 2002, 05:25   #12
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 03:31
I remember one year, I think both Starcraft and Myth 2 came out…

Oh dear god…
Albert Speer
Old September 8, 2002, 09:22   #13
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 00:31
I don't know. This has been a good year. I keep thinking that either 95 or 96 produced a number of fantastic games, though....

yet to come this year is moo3. darned if I know if it will come out this year, or it will be that good.

but this year has been good for rpgs. Dungeon siege got a lot of hype, but it has died out pretty quick.
Morrowind and neverwinter nights have both come out to more than make up for it. maybe even as the best rpg's ever done.

from all that I've heard, homm4 and zoo tycoon are lukewarm.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old September 8, 2002, 13:39   #14
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

'94 => civ2
'99 => SoF1

btw maybe you guys don't enjoy games that much except civ

AoW1 and2, Stronghold, gp2, caesar2, stonekeep!, age of empires 1 and 2 .......... Baldur's gate1 and 2, Thief: The dark project, gta1 and 2, homm3..., warcraft, monkey island, ...the list is endless

there's nothing like a good or bad year.. kickass games have been released for years, for an addicted pc-gamer like me anyway

of course there's a lot of trash too like q3, CS and so on
most crap is released on console though, hell, everything on console is crap!
Old September 8, 2002, 13:44   #15
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 08:31
Zoo Tycoon? But that game, um uh, sucks.

And to answer your question, no.

-Homer Simpson
Old September 8, 2002, 14:28   #16
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Europa Universalis 2 (I bumped it up a year because EU1 was also released last year)
Warlords Battlecry 2
Old September 8, 2002, 14:28   #17
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Well...graphics haven't been what dragged people into RCT
Oh, I wasn't commenting on that- I was merely saying that all the 'small' changes are a rip off unless they include a sandbox mode that ISNT only accessable after beating all the scenarios.

Quote:
(But you're allowed to hope, right?)
I suppose so

Quote:
yet to come this year is moo3. darned if I know if it will come out this year, or it will be that good.
Hopefully it will fulfill its promise more than Civ III

Quote:
from all that I've heard, homm4 and zoo tycoon are lukewarm.
Well, at least they are solid games... or at least Homm4 is after the patches... but they are both solidly built professional games at the core Homm4, Civ III and ZooTycoon were a bit low on the scale, but were on many people's 'must have' lists and I can see some people playing them 2 years from now... unless sequels are made

-
But trajanus- 2000 and 2001-- Lots of trashy games!!!
The only good games (other than FPSes) that came out were Black Isle and Interplay's games "Baldur's Gate I, II, Icewind Dale I, Planescape: Torment, etc."
And I think Diablo II came ount in 2000, although I'm not sure
Old September 8, 2002, 14:31   #18
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo
Europa Universalis 2 (I bumped it up a year because EU1 was also released last year)
Warlords Battlecry 2
For some of us it was released in 2002.
Old September 8, 2002, 14:34   #19
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

[QUOTE] Originally posted by DarkCloud
Homm4, Civ III and ZooTycoon were a bit low on the scale, but were on many people's 'must have' lists and I can see some people playing them 2 years from now... unless sequels are made
/QUOTE]

Have you actually played Zoo Tycoon? I tried the demo and rest assured, it stinks. I suppose it might be a suitable game for four-year-olds and lobotomized people.

-Homer Simpson
Old September 8, 2002, 14:37   #20
Zkribbler
Deity

Judging by the number of posts it got on its thread here, it looks like Morrowind.

However, I'm having a blast designing my own scenario (called a "module") in Neverwinter Nights. So it'd get my vote.
Old September 8, 2002, 14:45   #21
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Have you actually played Zoo Tycoon? I tried the demo and rest assured, it stinks. I suppose it might be a suitable game for four-year-olds and lobotomized people.
I played it- I don't own it- but it would be fun for a time- no worse than RCT I would think
Old September 8, 2002, 14:52   #22
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Quote:

I played it- I don't own it- but it would be fun for a time- no worse than RCT I would think
I don't agree with you on that one. While in RCT you build rollercoasters (fun fun fun) and have to juggle things such as food, toilets vomits etc. (Metaphorically, of course) In ZT you put some ole lions and a cage and a pop-up arrives: "Lion #1 wants some more trees". Whoa, slow down on the info there, bubba!

ZT is bland, it's as easy as that. RCT is colourful. (Even if it is the colour of vomits)

-Homer Simpson
Old September 8, 2002, 17:20   #23
Zkribbler
Deity

Agh, quick! Call a handyman!!
Attached Images:

Old September 9, 2002, 08:28   #24
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Impossible to agree here... as Pavlov said, rct is the game with a lot of fun (Making action packed coasters ), while zt is just about animals... ok, admitted, I never was that crazy about animals, the only animals I care about is spiders, snakes, etc. so until they make a Spider Zoo Tycoon, Zoo tycoon games wont get a high score (by me atleast)...
Old September 9, 2002, 21:29   #25
DarkCloud
staff

Well, you also have crowd management- but yes RCT is better But Zoo Tycoon has its points- the managment of the animal's is fun for a time at least and mixing and matching to please the animals should be a good strategic challenge

But as you said- it would probably wear thin- but the game at least deserves *** to **** stars
Old September 9, 2002, 22:38   #26
Qilue
King

Local Time: 17:31
Morrowind was the only game I did buy this year since nothing else interested me.
Old September 10, 2002, 00:17   #27
alofatti
Settler

This year was pretty bad.
All these games now require such a huge machine to run them...
HOMM 4 was not especially good... It lacked a little bit of polishing.
Warcraft 3. I saw it for three minutes and absolutely hated those graphics.
Neverwinter Nights - Argh! I hate that game! I have tried everything but I am unable to get more than 1 FPS.
Old September 10, 2002, 01:58   #28
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Have you tried getting a more RAM or something? It's not that expensive to upgrade to a middle-weight machine.
Old September 10, 2002, 06:09   #29
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by alofatti
Warcraft 3. I saw it for three minutes and absolutely hated those graphics.
I agree, the graphics sucks, but the gameplay is better (To bad it's main failure is re-play-ability)
Old September 10, 2002, 07:02   #30
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alofatti
Neverwinter Nights - Argh! I hate that game! I have tried everything but I am unable to get more than 1 FPS.
Well, NWN - along with MW - drew me back to RPGs after a decade of not playing them. It's a great game. In MP, it's boundless fun and seriously addictive. It's the closest you ever gonne get to playing D&D in the cellar with the guys when you where ten. But of course it requires a halfway modern box. On my AMD 2K+ box, it runs smoother than silk. And it's not really a state of the art machine anymore.