Old September 5, 2002, 17:11   #1
MattHiggs
King

Local Time: 07:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Asher, I conceed!
Why oh why do I bother with Athlon. My comp is constantly running at 65C. As soon as it reaches 70C I get the good old blue screen of death. I'm using GlobalWin CopperHeatsink too, best you can buy. I've put just the perfect amount of arctic silver thermal paste on the chip. I carefully put the heatsink on, knowing how Athlon's will break down if you even breath on them. But still it refuses to run at a lower temp and I crash every time I try do a benchmark or run a game at anywhere near a decent level.

If anyone can diagonse the problem, I'm running on the ALi chipset, Athlon 2100, GeForce 3 with 1G DDR.

When the blue screen comes on it says a problem with NV4_DSP.DLL which is strange as that is a graphics driver. I have tried all the drivers from the 12.xx to 40.xx range and still have the same problems. I have the side of my casing off too which dropped it a degree or two (if indeed the temperature is the problem)

What can I do ?

(and a P4 is definitely my next purchase)
Old September 5, 2002, 17:14   #2
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 01:32
You can try improving air flow. How many case fans do you have and how are they set up?

If the NV4_DSP.DLL is crashing your computer, maybe the video card itself overheats. I actually had a problem with this with my GF4, those things get very hot and are located very close to the CPU. You can buy things called Slot Coolers which sit in the PCI slot next to the video card and suck the hot air away from the video card and out the back of the case, which cools it off considerably...

I've got an Athlon 2100 as well, and I've found the only way to keep it completely stable during room temperature operation is with 4 80mm case fans (2 intake, 2 exhaust), a slot cooler for the video card, and a great HSF.

My motherboard still shuts the thing off when it's above 25C room temperature after a bit, so when it gets hot in the summer I've gotta underclock it to 1300MHz to keep it stable.
Old September 5, 2002, 17:18   #3
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 04:32
Well you might need a better cooling system...

My CPU runs at a good 43C and the system is at 29C. Overall really good. However some of my fans shut off because of lose connections and then I had a similar problem.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old September 5, 2002, 17:19   #4
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:32
My Athalon is stylin' even when it gets over 80 in the apartment. My old celery would die at that heat.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 5, 2002, 17:20   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
My Athalon is stylin' even when it gets over 80 in the apartment. My old celery would die at that heat.
Celeries don't exactly run hot, especially the old ones.
Old September 5, 2002, 17:22   #6
MattHiggs
King

The I have one of them PCI slot coolers planted infront of the GeForce. I've also under clocked it to 350MHz. God I hate underclocking stuff I feel so dirty

I've got 2 case fans but they sound like hoovers, and I keep my computer on 24/7 in my bedroom. The HSF cost me £50 alone

At the moment I have one intake fan, PCI slot fan and GlobalWin Copper HSF.

I've even unscrewed the power box and placed it next to my computer as that was pretty warm and quite close to the flow going through the heatsink.

God I think I'm gonna go get my 486 DX4/100.
Old September 5, 2002, 17:23   #7
MattHiggs
King

Oh I also bought a 350W PSU, thinking a lack of power may have been the problem. Alas it wasn't.
Old September 5, 2002, 17:25   #8
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by MattHiggs
The I have one of them PCI slot coolers planted infront of the GeForce. I've also under clocked it to 350MHz. God I hate underclocking stuff I feel so dirty
350MHz? Your GeForce? Did you mean 150MHz or something?

Quote:
I've got 2 case fans but they sound like hoovers, and I keep my computer on 24/7 in my bedroom. The HSF cost me £50 alone

At the moment I have one intake fan, PCI slot fan and GlobalWin Copper HSF.

I've even unscrewed the power box and placed it next to my computer as that was pretty warm and quite close to the flow going through the heatsink.

God I think I'm gonna go get my 486 DX4/100.
Hmm. Are you sure the case is getting its air? You don't have things blocking it off at the back/sides/front?

Does the case have room for any more case fans? You could also try a hard drive cooler if you need to, it sits in a drivebay...

Have you tried leaving the case off?
Old September 5, 2002, 17:30   #9
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Sometimes, different BIOS versions will lead to different temperatures (or at least reported temperatures). Sometimes, the newer versions introduce the problem with some boards. I seem to recall the Asus A7A266 having these issues with a couple of revisions of the BIOS.
Old September 5, 2002, 17:32   #10
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

The problem might just be a chipset issue. I'm not too fond of ALi chipsets.
Old September 5, 2002, 17:35   #11
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

If the problem still persists with the 40.xx drivers, I'm not too sure if it's the video card overheating. I know when I was overclocking my GF4, with the new 40.xx drivers it'd just "freeze" for about 10-20 seconds to cool off, then resume, with previous versions it'd do a BSOD or a hard reboot. They call it "robust channels", but I don't know how well it works or if it works at all on GF3s.
Old September 5, 2002, 17:36   #12
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 10:32
how about trying that liquid nitrogen thingee? just a thought.
Old September 5, 2002, 17:40   #13
MattHiggs
King

I always prefered ALi to the VIA.

VIA + Athlon + nVidia = trouble.
Old September 5, 2002, 17:41   #14
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I've got a VIA + Athlon + nVidia and it's been relatively trouble free, aside from heat issues. And you've got mysterious BSODing.
Old September 5, 2002, 17:42   #15
MattHiggs
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
If the problem still persists with the 40.xx drivers, I'm not too sure if it's the video card overheating. I know when I was overclocking my GF4, with the new 40.xx drivers it'd just "freeze" for about 10-20 seconds to cool off, then resume, with previous versions it'd do a BSOD or a hard reboot. They call it "robust channels", but I don't know how well it works or if it works at all on GF3s.
That's a really good feature I've made sure XP won't do any hard reboots with giving me a shitload of error reports so I can try and figure out the problem myself. Shame that Comp Sci hasn't taught me anything useful yet
Old September 5, 2002, 17:43   #16
MattHiggs
King

I'm just gonna try the ASUS 14.62 drivers, as they seem to come highly recommended.
Old September 5, 2002, 17:45   #17
MattHiggs
King

Quote:
I've got a VIA + Athlon + nVidia and it's been relatively trouble free, aside from heat issues. And you've got mysterious BSODing.
You must be lucky then. There has been huge problems with the VIA 4 in 1 drivers I think they are. I'm not too familiar with VIA, but I've read a million various posts on problems.

Strange how you never see a lot of problems reported with Intel and ATI combinations.
Old September 5, 2002, 17:47   #18
Giancarlo
King

VIA works fine for me....
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old September 5, 2002, 17:49   #19
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Intel puts their chipsets through far, far more rigorous testing than anyone else. They've been "validating" PC1066 RDRAM and DDR333 for months now...

We've generally had less problems with Via than SiS or ALi or even AMD chipsets. They do more testing and have more mature drivers than SiS, ALi, or AMD -- the reason why you probably hear more bad things about Nvidia and Via is because it's far more popular than ALi or even ATI.
Old September 5, 2002, 17:56   #20
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Some other things you can check:

Download RivaTuner: http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
Check what stepping your GeForce 3 is. When you start up RivaTuner, in the Main tab, right under the display adapter pulldown.
My GeForce 3 says: "128-bit AGP NV20 (A5) with 64MB DDR memory". In this case, A5 is the stepping.
There are two public GeForce 3 steppings, A4 and A5. A4s have some known bugs in them and don't overclock as well as A5s, and maybe this is one of the bugs with an A4.

You should also try enabling ALi compatibility mode. To do this:
Under the Main tab, in the Driver Settings section, click the arrow next to "Customize", and select the first icon which is "Customize system settings".
Click on the Compatibility tab, then at the bottom there's a checkbox that says "Enable motherboard chipset compatibility mode".
Old September 5, 2002, 18:07   #21
MattHiggs
King

I get a 3DMark Score of 5666.
Old September 5, 2002, 18:09   #22
MattHiggs
King

Quote:
Some other things you can check:

Download RivaTuner: http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
Check what stepping your GeForce 3 is. When you start up RivaTuner, in the Main tab, right under the display adapter pulldown.
My GeForce 3 says: "128-bit AGP NV20 (A5) with 64MB DDR memory". In this case, A5 is the stepping.
There are two public GeForce 3 steppings, A4 and A5. A4s have some known bugs in them and don't overclock as well as A5s, and maybe this is one of the bugs with an A4.

You should also try enabling ALi compatibility mode. To do this:
Under the Main tab, in the Driver Settings section, click the arrow next to "Customize", and select the first icon which is "Customize system settings".
Click on the Compatibility tab, then at the bottom there's a checkbox that says "Enable motherboard chipset compatibility mode".
Ooh, thanks for that. I'll try that now

Here is a link to my last benchmark
http://service.madonion.com/servlet/...jectId=4400631

I've only got 512mb RAM in at the moment, my brother wanted to 'borrow' a stick
Old September 5, 2002, 18:18   #23
MattHiggs
King

It's A5. I've got it underclocked now at 180MHz , 280MHz RAM. Hopefully this should help a little. I've also installed the latest ALi driver, not updated that for a few months

I'll do another benchmark and see if I can get a good result this time
Old September 5, 2002, 18:19   #24
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

My best 3DMark is just above 11000 with stock speeds. When I benched it, the 3DMark servers were too busy (right after Det 40s released), so I couldn't upload it.

I'll re-run the test so you can compare soon.
Old September 5, 2002, 18:36   #25
MattHiggs
King

11,000!!

That is rediculously high!

I spent £290 on this GeForce 3, oh how I hate the fast paced technology market
Old September 5, 2002, 18:37   #26
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MattHiggs
I get a 3DMark Score of 5666.
That is all you get with a Geforce3?

Hmm... with my Geforce2 TI450 I get a score of 5250 or so... and I spent US$70-80 on it.
Old September 5, 2002, 18:38   #27
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I can't wait to try the AC2 beta with it. The high-definition pack is a 682MB download addition, and the core game itself with the regular graphics is only 615MB big.

The minimum requirements for the high-def AC2 pack is 512MB system RAM and 128MB video card RAM -- damn it'll be sweet.
Old September 5, 2002, 19:01   #28
MattHiggs
King

Have you seen the new Halo 2 trailor? That looks sweet. Amazingly high res textures in places, you can tell they made some cutback in the polycount in some scene. But the lighting is some of the best I've seen in any game.
Old September 5, 2002, 19:17   #29
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Yep, definitely saw it. Thread about it is in the Games forum. Can't wait.
Old September 5, 2002, 19:28   #30
MattHiggs
King

Moo 3 is out on 20th Sept - then it's Imperium Galactica and Star Wars Galaxies out in the 29th November. I've been drooling over SWG for nearly a year