Old September 5, 2002, 18:29   #1
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Custom titles for purchasing from the store
If someone spends a certain amount (say $100) at the store, could they be given a custom title of their choosing? The purchasing wouldn't have to be all at once, it could be accumulated over the course of a year.

Its a good advertising angle...
Old September 5, 2002, 18:35   #2
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 09:32
why so much?
why not, let's say for the prize of one nuclear weapons t-shirt
Old September 5, 2002, 18:48   #3
Dauphin
Deity

I don't know how much the average consumer buys, so I didn't want it too low, or everyone who purchases from the store would get a custom title.
Old September 5, 2002, 18:57   #4
Rasbelin
Emperor

Hmm... interesting idea. Perhaps that limit of 100 USD good.

But I'm currently more concerned about free speech when I'm not even allowed to talk about flags.
Old September 5, 2002, 19:04   #5
Dauphin
Deity

Don't attempt a threadjack.

The free speech argument does not hold, Apolyton is not a democracy. To raise the issue again after being warned will only serve to get you a trip to Mingapulco. You'll just have to live with it I'm afraid.
Old September 5, 2002, 19:48   #6
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:32
Actually Sagacious Dolphin, it's a great idea! I can spend a given amount (be it $100 or what ever) and then I get to use a "special" title...or better yet, a "special" image to choose from. Hey, I can even choose an image of the Five Nations flag!
Old September 5, 2002, 20:02   #7
Rasbelin
Emperor

Sagacious,

I'm not trying to do a threadjack. That was my real opinion about your suggestion.

Anyway, I'm not sure if a suggestion like that can pass, but I assume the PR value could be good. At least DiabloII.Net has a system that their donators who have donated with FraudPal will get a special logo inserted into their profile.

http://diabloii.net/paypal
Quote:
DiabloII.Net Pal Forum Status

We appreciate your support and by way of publicly acknowledging your donation [those over $1.00] we would like to change your forum status to Pal - our official 'Be a Pal' abbreviation) for each month you donate. Your forum name will have the Pal icon next to it and your forum title will be changed to 'DiabloII.Net Pal'.
So my specific suggestion (gathering the ideas of Sagacious and me) is that an Apolytoner who orders for a certain sum ApolytonWare from ACS, gets a special title of his own choice for 1 year. This would work as vBulletin supports custom titles as well-known and the store management panel allows you to see who has ordered, so there shouldn't be any technical limits.

Wittlich,

I don't get the point with a "special" image as there'as already available custom avatars and flags seem to be a sensitive issue (don't think that I said this, if you're also allergic to flag discussions ).
Old September 5, 2002, 20:06   #8
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 02:32
Would it not be more direct simply to put a price on the custom title? And I suspect that even in the event that Marcos and Dan were so capitalist to do so, The price would be in the $thousands.
Old September 5, 2002, 20:08   #9
Rasbelin
Emperor

I assume Lefty has been influenced by CFC's custom title system now.
Old September 5, 2002, 20:10   #10
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
But I'm currently more concerned about free speech when I'm not even allowed to talk about flags.
If the free speech available is not adequate to your liking, how much would you be willing to fork over for privileged speech.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old September 5, 2002, 20:15   #11
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
Wittlich,

I don't get the point with a "special" image as there'as already available custom avatars and flags seem to be a sensitive issue (don't think that I said this, if you're also allergic to flag discussions ).
Actually, after I posted my last comment, I realized the same thing, and in turn, changed my avatar image...just call it my own private protest.

Ok, back to the topic at hand - special titles for those who support Apolyton. Sure, it's a gimmick to attract more money into Apolyton. I can understand if Dan and Mark decide to pursue this type business, and I would, in turn, most likely "donate" to it.
Old September 6, 2002, 08:32   #12
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I bought a shirt and got a special title.

RAH
Old September 6, 2002, 09:37   #13
Dauphin
Deity

So if I spend enough, I will be offered a custom title. Spend even more and I will be offered a moderatorship?

*Rushes to store....*

Old September 6, 2002, 12:15   #14
Rasbelin
Emperor

You'll most likely have to spend a few gazillion € to bribe Markos to give you moderatorship.

P.S. You'll get it cheaper on FACF. How much do you offer?
Old September 6, 2002, 20:07   #15
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
I bought a shirt and got a special title.

RAH
Lol so that's how you become a mod.

Have you told Solver?
Old September 6, 2002, 22:54   #16
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:32
So how much do you have to spend to get a banning rod?
Old September 6, 2002, 22:57   #17
Tuberski

I'm suprised Markos hasn't tried to sell one yet....
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 7, 2002, 04:48   #18
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

This is brilliant. Let's extend the idea a bit: pay enough and you can bestow special titles on others! Or, dare I say it, let's have an annual auction where the winner gets to choose a victim of his choice for a 99% PCR!
Mmm... the possibilities!
Old September 7, 2002, 08:24   #19
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 07:32
Quote:
Originally posted by moomin
This is brilliant. Let's extend the idea a bit: pay enough and you can bestow special titles on others! Or, dare I say it, let's have an annual auction where the winner gets to choose a victim of his choice for a 99% PCR!
Mmm... the possibilities!

I think there'd be an awful lot of cheiftans...