orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
CS,

Why, the kind where they have everything they need and want to eat, their own car at 16 or 17, reasonable gas prices, and basically all the creature comforts I enjoy, with added benefits due to technology.
because we all know that's what's important in life

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old September 6, 2002, 16:43   #93
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 07:33
Old September 6, 2002, 16:57   #94
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Local Time: 03:33
David Floyd:

I agree with you in concept... these environmentalists are ridiculous with their 'shocking statistics' that honestly mean little and there's no reason why any of us should go out of our way to protect the environment especially since I'm confident as technology progresses, we'll have no problem with pollution.

However, I'm still worried about the problem of decadence. A very very high living standard leads to sin and disrespect for one's fortune (rich whiteys from connecticut becoming free love hippies).

Although in all honesty, if I had money I know I'd be living large. Still, eventually I'd be ashamed of myself.

thanks
Old September 6, 2002, 17:06   #95
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

I just wanted to add that I think that some of Dave's comments here are being taken a little too far. Him being a libertarian, I'm sure he favours a clean unpolluted world but he doesnt want the gov't legislating this. Little things that people do like start a car pool, recycle, etc. I'm sure he's all in favour of. So don't take **** like that more than 15 minute shower thing too seriously.

(I hope I spoke accurately for Dave and he was exaggerating a bit in his comments)

thanks
Old September 6, 2002, 17:14   #96
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:33
Total Footprint 3.2
In comparison, the average ecological footprint in your country is 4.4 global hectares per person.
Old September 6, 2002, 17:15   #97
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

nevermind. my bad

Last edited by Al B. Sure!; September 6, 2002 at 17:26.
Old September 6, 2002, 17:55   #98
CyberGnu
King

The question is whether these 'shock values' are shocking us the right way. What they basically say is that if the average chinese wants the same standard of living as the average european, we would need like 2 earths, right? Shouldn't we be more concerned about the number of chinese than the european standard of living? If you halved the number of chinese and indians, all of a sudden we only need 1.5 earths. Count in all the people in underdeveloped countries, and we are all of a sudden doing fine.

And I'm not saying that we should kill people off. I'm saying that we need to work out a better solution... One part of the world started consuming a lot more than average, but on the other hand stopped their population growth. The other part of the world instead went for unchecked population expansion, up to the point where all these people are essentially doomed to poverty....

Not sure exactly where I'm going with this.... Except that we should send more condoms to India.
Old September 6, 2002, 18:20   #99
Giovanni Wine
NationStatesNever Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 08:33
If everyone lived like me, we would need 2.9 planets.

Food 0.9

Mobility 0.2

Shelter 1.5

Goods/Services 2.6

Total Footprint 5.2

In comparison, the average ecological footprint in Italy is 3.8 global hectares per person.

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
"In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio
Old September 6, 2002, 18:24   #100
Giovanni Wine
NationStatesNever Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 08:33
Quote:
Originally posted by CyberGnu
The question is whether these 'shock values' are shocking us the right way. What they basically say is that if the average chinese wants the same standard of living as the average european, we would need like 2 earths, right? Shouldn't we be more concerned about the number of chinese than the european standard of living? If you halved the number of chinese and indians, all of a sudden we only need 1.5 earths. Count in all the people in underdeveloped countries, and we are all of a sudden doing fine.

And I'm not saying that we should kill people off. I'm saying that we need to work out a better solution... One part of the world started consuming a lot more than average, but on the other hand stopped their population growth. The other part of the world instead went for unchecked population expansion, up to the point where all these people are essentially doomed to poverty....

Not sure exactly where I'm going with this.... Except that we should send more condoms to India.
I actually think you are right

It is not us that needs to live in poverty like the average Indian or whatever underdeveloped country

It's them who needs to stop reproducing like rabbits, and try to slowly diminuish their population

so that tere would be more resources for the people

We probably need to reduce the pop from the 6 billion we are now, to a more substainable 2-3 bilion

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
"In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio
Old September 6, 2002, 19:11   #101
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 01:33
Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
Why, the kind where they have everything they need and want to eat, their own car at 16 or 17, reasonable gas prices, and basically all the creature comforts I enjoy, with added benefits due to technology.
They're going to need air to breath to enjoy any of this. The right-wingers just don't get it. None of the money or material goods they value will mean anything if the planet dies. Idiots like Bush and people on Fox News talk about envoirnmentalism hurting the economy, slashing jobs, raising prices... guess what AIR IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN MACROECONOMIC GROWTH.
Old September 6, 2002, 19:15   #102
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Giovanni Wine
It's them who needs to stop reproducing like rabbits, and try to slowly diminuish their population
Typical racist environmentalist BS. The problem is not the number of people in the world. The problem is that they want to live like us, and there simply aren't the resources on planet Earth to do that.

You can only live high on the hog fo so long. After that you get what happened to Rapa Nui.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 6, 2002, 19:18   #103
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Children are indeed the overwhelming main cause of poverty. The cosumme a lot and produce very little. Aslo younger adults earn less than older (non retired) adults.
One example it the common comparison between the incomes between too 'UNAMED RACIAL GROUPS' in the USA. When age normed, comparing only between same age person and families wiht the same age distrution, a large majority of the income disparity vanishes. I am not sure what the figure is now, but the last time a saw is some years ago over 75% of the income disparity was due to the differences in the age distribution in the populations, rather than discriminationor other factors, just do to reproductive strategy (or lack thereof), which itself (reproductive habits) is, of course, influenced by poverty.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old September 6, 2002, 19:28   #104
CyberGnu
King

No need to go to extremes. Yes, we do need to learn to live more environmentally friendly, but that is mainly at a global perspective. Global warming is the main thing that americans should worry about...

But this footprint measures EVERYTHING. Including eating meat, which, if you live in the US, is absolutely pointless. Sure, you can feed ten people the grain it takes to make enough meat for one, but so what? That is just thermodynamics. We're currently buning as much food, calorywise, as we the meat we eat. It's economics, not irresponsibility.

As long as the US population stays stable (discounting immigration) I don't think the world has cause for complaint, except for global warming.
Old September 6, 2002, 19:38   #105
Ned
King

Local Time: 23:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Old September 6, 2002, 20:10   #106
David Floyd
Emperor

orange,

Quote:
because we all know that's what's important in life
I was asked what kind of life I want my kids to have. And I answered. In part, I want them to grow up in a country where they are able to have a car at a young age, and actually afford the gas.

AS,

Quote:
However, I'm still worried about the problem of decadence. A very very high living standard leads to sin and disrespect for one's fortune (rich whiteys from connecticut becoming free love hippies).
Can you explain sin and disrespect, please? What's wrong with becoming a free love hippie, if that's what one wants to do?

Quote:
Him being a libertarian, I'm sure he favours a clean unpolluted world but he doesnt want the gov't legislating this.
Well, I'm more concerned about government legislation than pollution, yes.

Quote:
Little things that people do like start a car pool, recycle, etc. I'm sure he's all in favour of.
Sure, whatever floats their boat. I'm still gonna drive, though, and I'm not gonna recycle if its extra work for me. I don't have the time to drive around dropping stuff off at recycling centers.

Quote:
So don't take **** like that more than 15 minute shower thing too seriously.
Actually, I really do that.
Old September 6, 2002, 20:11   #107
David Floyd
Emperor

Carver,

Quote:
guess what AIR IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN MACROECONOMIC GROWTH.
Frankly, I'm not concerned. I've seen statistics showing that natural volcanos pump out more CO2 at one time than industrial production. Can't cite the source, but it does make sense.
Old September 6, 2002, 20:25   #108
CyberGnu
King

David, so? Natural CO2 isn't the problem, nature compensates for that. Human CO2 is a net addition, however.
Old September 6, 2002, 20:27   #109
David Floyd
Emperor

Well, I know nothing about science, hence because I don't understand it the problem isn't there. And in cases of money and standard of living vs. "environment", I'll let you guess which one wins out for me, and for the vast majority of Americans. Be realistic.
Old September 6, 2002, 20:30   #110
chequita guevara
Emperor

Actually, most Americans say they would be more environmentally conscious if someone told them what to do. However, as we've been conditioned to be lazy, I doubt even if they were hand led to the recycling bin, that they'd do it.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 6, 2002, 20:32   #111
David Floyd
Emperor

Yes, most Americans SAY that. I bet most Americans wouldn't DO that though
Old September 6, 2002, 20:53   #112
CyberGnu
King

well, one could hope that most americans wouldn't object too strongly to the only thing I think helps, a carbon tax...
Old September 6, 2002, 21:00   #113
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 09:33
Just 2 planets
Old September 6, 2002, 21:18   #114
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
well, one could hope that most americans wouldn't object too strongly to the only thing I think helps, a carbon tax...
You don't think Americans would object to higher taxes to address something they don't see as a problem? Oh how WELL you know us
Old September 6, 2002, 22:34   #115
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 01:33
Quote:
That's a great idea. The mileage on cars should be periodically inspected, the authorities then look at what type of car you have and approximate the amount of pollutants released - and tax your arse. Of course, where this would really pay off is with businesses.

And DF, I am one American who definently sees the destruction of Earth (the only class M planet we know of) as a problem.
Old September 6, 2002, 23:17   #116
David Floyd
Emperor

Well I wouldn't worry about the destruction of earth, I'm sure technology will solve anything that comes up. Hey, I'm an optimist.

That, and the earth won't be destroyed in my lifetime. What can I say, I'm also a bastard.

Old September 7, 2002, 00:04   #117
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 23:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010

Y'all move over, you're taking up my space.
Old September 7, 2002, 00:26   #118
chequita guevara
Emperor

Rapa Nui. Rapa Nui. Rapa Nui!
Old September 7, 2002, 01:40   #119
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
David, so? Natural CO2 isn't the problem, nature compensates for that. Human CO2 is a net addition, however.
How does nature tell the difference?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 7, 2002, 01:42   #120
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
9.8 Y'all move over, you're taking up my space.
Impressive total...but my 12.1 still reigns supreme!