Old September 7, 2002, 02:29   #121
CyberGnu
King

Local Time: 07:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Monk:

The CO2 released by nature is part of the equilibrium that nature has spent millions of years adapting to. (And I know what David is thinking here: Nature will adapt to the new, higher levels, right? Which is absolutely true, as long as we can wait a few thousand years. Civilization as we know it might go under in the meantime, but hey, we can always pick up where we left off)

When we burn fossil fuels, however, we don't have a process for removing the CO2 from the atmospshere. Imagine if you will a tank of water. On one side there is a pump which fills the tank by 10m^3 per minute. On the other side there is a pump that empties the tank by 10M^3 per minute. As long as we don't disturb the tank, the water level will be constant.

Now imagine that you go to that tank and start spitting into it. The amount of liquid you can spit is minute compared to the pumps. Nevertheless, since you are now continually adding liquid that is not removed from the tank, the water level will increase proportionally to how much you are spitting. Eventually the tank will overflow.

Carver, much easier to put the tax directly on the fuel...

David, I'm assuming you're not intending to have children...

Che, 'rape the now'? Kind of doubt it, but that IS what David is advocating...

Last edited by CyberGnu; September 7, 2002 at 02:37.
Old September 7, 2002, 02:30   #122
David Floyd
Emperor

Nah I'm not advocating anything I'm just mocking on general principles...
Old September 7, 2002, 02:37   #123
CyberGnu
King

what is the difference?
Old September 7, 2002, 02:40   #124
David Floyd
Emperor

I forgot.
Old September 7, 2002, 02:44   #125
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:33
Quote:
Originally posted by CyberGnu
Che, 'rape the now'? Kind of doubt it, but that IS what David is advocating...
Rapa Nui is the Polynesian name for Easter Island.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 7, 2002, 03:04   #126
CyberGnu
King

Ahhhh
Old September 7, 2002, 03:45   #127
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 02:33
2.8 planets

9.7 global hectacres

5.1 total footprint
Old September 7, 2002, 03:58   #128
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 20:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I didn't realise my way of life was that good for the environment:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	clean grrr!!.png
Views:	61
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	23769  
Old September 7, 2002, 04:39   #129
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 10:33
Quote:
If everyone lived like you, we would need 2.2 planets.

Category
global hectares

Food

Mobility

Shelter

Goods/Services

Total Footprint
In comparison, the average ecological footprint in your country is 8.4 global hectares per person.
Great mobility footprint for never flying, not owning a car and walking a lot. I intend to keep it that way at least for a few years.

I wonder how many international network backbones we would need if everyone consumed as much bandwidth as me .
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old September 7, 2002, 05:14   #130
MattHiggs
King

Quote:
If everyone lived like you, we would need 25.8 planets.

Category
global hectares

Food

Mobility

Shelter

Goods/Services

Total Footprint
Old September 7, 2002, 05:37   #131
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 09:33
2 planets, 3.6ha - Austrian average is 4.7ha.
Old September 7, 2002, 10:25   #132
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:33
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
If everyone lived like I wish I lived, we'd quickly need the mass of the local star cluster just to provide enough resources for the health club.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old September 7, 2002, 11:01   #133
Illyrien
Settler

The more CO2 in the atmosphere, the better plants grow...ofcause enough CO2 would kill all animals so we should release too much.

I think it is good for life on this planet that we humans stepped in to release CO2, as the world CO2 level has been droping since the world was formed (more or less). If we allowed the CO2 level to reach 0 all plant life (that uses CO2, which is just about everything) would perish, just as we would die if there wasnt any oxygen.

You cant just argue that CO2 is EVIL! there is more sides to this debate then that.
Old September 7, 2002, 12:17   #134
CyberGnu
King

Starchild,

Illyrien, this would only be true if CO2 was the limitng factor for plant growth, which is isn't. Except for special circumstances, such as directly after a wildfire, fixated nitrogen is the normal limiting factor (which is why farmers spread fertilizer on fields). In some cases such as near desert water is the limiting factor.

One scientist suggested releasing hundreds of tons of ironnitrate in the atlantic to fertilize algaegrowth, and thus fixate thousands or possibly more tons of CO2...

Of course CO2 isn't evil. It is just a chemical. It depends on what we do with it. Unchecked human emissions are, however, not positive. Upsetting a balance that nature has spent millions of years perfecting is at best neutral and at worst catastrophic. Most likely somewhere in the middle. More extreme weather is expected in the future, growing progressively worse as the world heats up.

Ironically, the people who has the best intuitive understanding of this are propably the same people who burns the most oil in the first place: chemical engineers. If one understands the fundamentals of reactor design on also knows the incredibly narrow range where equilibrium is maintained, and the results when the equilibrium is perturbed...
Old September 8, 2002, 21:40   #135
The Mad Monk
Emperor

What equilibrium? There is no equilibrium, for it is the very antithesis of life. Equilibrium = stagnation = death.

As for the 'millions of years', would that include that spot of ice some 40,000 years ago?

Life on this planet has survived catastrophes magnatudes greater than being inflicted with us. It survived those, and came back to flourish with an explosion of new forms that changed and adapted -- until the next catastrophe.

It has always been this way. The environment is in a constant state of flux, punctuated by the odd asteroid, and life is in a continual struggle to keep up. It has developed in such a way that it must do this -- always growing, changing adapting -- or cease to be. If a particular form stops doing this -- say becoming so specialized that it can only subsist on a single food, and can only live within a certain area -- it is in grave danger of rapid extinction, for anything that disrupts that environment for even a little while (say, a fungus wiping out all the eucalyptis in a certain territory) can cause the deaths of enough individuals to doom a species. To adapt to the point where change is impossble, to gain equilibrium, is to court death.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 8, 2002, 22:57   #136
CyberGnu
King

Monk, didn't expect you to use chemical terms. The correct chemical term is a 'stable steady-state'. Yes, if your body reaches equilibrium that means you are dead. But if your body goes to far from the stable steady-state, you also die. Examples of this would be deficiency in trace elements, overexposure to CO2, dehydration, etc.

You see, a stable steady state is selfcorrecting if the preturbations are small. Your body can deal with minor changes in your environment. But if the changes are to big, the situation goes outside of the stabe steady state region, and the system goes amock.

(Incidentally, this is exactly what happens when chemical reactors blow up. One of the most important tasks when building a reactor is to figure out in what region stable steady state is reached, as one cannot do it evolutionary... Would take too many reactors.)

The global environment follows the same priniciple. A small change is selfcorrecting. A big change, however, such as a dinosaur killer, cannot be corrected for, and global parameters will change enough to the more vulnerable life forms to die.

I don't quite undertsand your last paragraph. Are you claiming that we shouldn't worry about global warming because even though humanity dies out, cockroaches will survive? Interesting... Well, I guess that makes me a stinking humanity-lover, as I'd prefer humanity and civilization to survive...
Old September 9, 2002, 00:07   #137
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Illyrien
The more CO2 in the atmosphere, the better plants grow...ofcause enough CO2 would kill all animals so we should release too much.

I think it is good for life on this planet that we humans stepped in to release CO2, as the world CO2 level has been droping since the world was formed (more or less). If we allowed the CO2 level to reach 0 all plant life (that uses CO2, which is just about everything) would perish, just as we would die if there wasnt any oxygen.

You cant just argue that CO2 is EVIL! there is more sides to this debate then that.
Um -- humans did not need to intervene to improve a process that was already working for millions of years naturally, on Earth.

If CO2 would reach zero without human contribution, the planet would never have been able to sustain plant life in the millions of years before humans came into existence.

Just because it has been dropping, does not mean that
it cannot level out later, and thus, preventing natural depletion.
Old September 9, 2002, 07:25   #138
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Hey I am not bad
Quote:

If everyone lived like you, we would need 1.7 planets.

Category
global hectares

Food 1.3

Mobility 0.5

Shelter 0.5

Goods/Services 0.8

Total Footprint 3.1
In comparison, the average ecological footprint in your country is 5.3 global hectares per person.
The only thing is that my eating habits made it even worse *suprise * suprise*

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old September 10, 2002, 04:39   #139
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Whoo-hoo!!
5 Planets! Beat that!

Food: 2.8
Mobility: 1
Shelter: 1.9
Goods: 3.3

Total: 9 hectares

What do I win?
Old September 10, 2002, 04:49   #140
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Damn... should read these threads before I respond. Wtg, Imran!
Old September 10, 2002, 07:47   #141
David Floyd
Emperor

Actually, I beat Imran - I have 12.1 planets...and Higgs takes up 25, although methinks he doctored his results a tad
Old September 10, 2002, 10:27   #142
Gangerolf
Prince

6 planets.

When I did the test again and said I was from Peru, entered the exact same information, I got 1,1 planets!
Why??

This test is bullshit I tell you
Old September 10, 2002, 11:57   #143
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 10:33
No Lithuania option in poll = screw poll. Zero planets, I don't exist.
Old September 10, 2002, 14:52   #144
Gangerolf
Prince

what do they mean by "footprint"
Old September 10, 2002, 15:01   #145
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Life on this planet has survived catastrophes magnatudes greater than being inflicted with us.
To be honest, I'm less concerned with life on Earth (which will surivive, regardless of what we do) than I am with the survival of human civilization. On a planet where the explosion of one particular volcano has brought down civilizations worldwide, we ought to be pretty damn careful what we do to the environment.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 10, 2002, 21:26   #146
CyberGnu
King

Che,
Old September 10, 2002, 22:58   #147
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 00:33
With 6 billion hairless monkeys running around civilization's survive is more then assured. we are like a new breed of cockroach; even an nuclear war couldn't wipe us out. In a worse case senario global warming would only be a catastrophy but not a life threat to civilization.

BTW Global warming is more or less bunk; if we warm to much then the global ice caps will begin to melt and flood the oceans with cold fresh water. Since salty water is more dense we will experience a change in ocean currents. Currents like the Gulf Stream would shut down and the result would be a massive temperature drop for Europe and eastern North America.

Global warming causes global ice age. Simple enough, huh?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 10, 2002, 23:12   #148
CyberGnu
King

Oerding, not familiar with thermodynamics, are we?

CO2 causes global warming because of the greenhouse effect. The CO2 bounces radiation from the sun back onto earth, instead of radiating out into the universe. The net effect is the same as in a greenhouse: higher temperature.

You can rearrange all the streams you want, if you don't reduce the CO2 levels you won't reduce the temperature.

(and I won't even go into statements like 'if we warm to much then the global ice caps will begin to melt and flood the oceans with cold fresh water. Since salty water is more dense we will experience a change in ocean currents.' What on earth makes you think the freshwater will stay fresh? Ever heard of diffusion?)

Finally, I read somewhere that if civilization collapses it will take a LONG time before it resurfaces, mainly because we've used up all easily accessible raw material. Basing a civlization on wood and bone isn't all that easy...

Out of curiosity, who told you that global warming is more or less bunk? Whoever it was, you'd be doing him/her a favor by enrolling him/her in any high school science class.