Old September 6, 2002, 01:47   #1
yaablett
Settler

Local Time: 07:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
make them stop!
It really annoys me when the AI keeps attacking me with vastly superior numbers and technology (ie., battleships against ironclads) and wont offer peace or listen to my diplomats. I would have killed at least 200 enemy land units for the loss of about 20 of my units in my fortified cities. I haven't lost a city and don't look like doing it ever (because they're not destroying rail links between cities so I can easily reinforce wherever they attack). But because they wont accept any peace deal (or even entertain one), i have to sit there while it shuffles around 100 units every turn, bombards from air and sea and then cop the war weariness problems from my own population. Because I'm way outnumbered I can't go on the offensive. They're never going to beat me and I'm never going to beat them. Any suggestions on how I can get the AI to offer peace?
Old September 6, 2002, 01:59   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:34
You have 100s of units, and you cannot organise an attack on an enemy city?
Old September 6, 2002, 02:06   #3
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 00:34
If you can keep the stalemate, events outside your control may make them grow tired enough to stop on their own...but who wants to wait. 1) See if you can get other civs to go to war with your attacker, multi-front wars tax even the AIs; 2)Kamakazi attack one of their vital resources, meaning something they need to build the units they're attacking you with; 3) Nuke the crap out of them, that's what they're for! Additionally, there are plenty of tips and strategies in the strategy forum. Perhaps something there will help you...

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old September 6, 2002, 09:28   #4
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 02:34
Quote:
Originally posted by DRoseDARs
If you can keep the stalemate, events outside your control may make them grow tired enough to stop on their own...but who wants to wait.
If the other civ started the war against me, and they are either republic or democracy... I let them go into rioting and anarchy but refusing all peace offerings and holding my positions.

You'd be surprised how effective this is. While they are in rioting and anarchy, take this time to take and raze their cities.
Old September 6, 2002, 09:49   #5
Moonsinger
Warlord

Local Time: 01:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
If the other civ started the war against me, and they are either republic or democracy... I let them go into rioting and anarchy but refusing all peace offerings and holding my positions.

You'd be surprised how effective this is. While they are in rioting and anarchy, take this time to take and raze their cities.
I don't think that it's going to work against religious civ.
Old September 6, 2002, 10:11   #6
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 02:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonsinger

I don't think that it's going to work against religious civ.

I know, but I didn't mention it because I thought it would be understood... my mistake then.
Old September 6, 2002, 12:35   #7
Lord Merciless
Warlord

What level are you playing at?
Old September 6, 2002, 14:22   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:34
I once thought I would see what it was like to play in Monarch all the way and make to Rop/Mpp and not trade. Just wanted to see how much I would suffer. Anyway this put me in a spot just like yours. War with several large Civs. Some close anothers on another land mass. The Americans would send ships to harrass me and I had no navy at the time. Troops would land and I got incursions from neighbors.
I started making BB's in a few cities with harbors and RR all tiles. Made a few bombers and fighters. This let me damage ships that bombarded me and if I had a BB close by I could finish them off. Over time that slowed down the Americans. Once I got 15-20 arties up and some MA/Mech I was able to stomp all interlopers. The RR lets me get to them when they came. I left naked tiles (or forrest) at the points that they seemed to come from. I used the bombers to wreck roads that came from them to me and then all improvements near their cities. This force pop reductions on them. Every now and then, I would be able to take a city. I could have massed troops and went on a rampage, but that would have left me vulnerable. Eventually I got the coastal cities near the Americans and started bombing runs on their cities. By that time I had stopped all naval actions on me. In short start pecking away at them and make them suffer. Soon their cities will suffer while you continue to grow. The long wars hurt their research and let me take the lead.
Old September 6, 2002, 16:19   #9
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Don't behave like the Chinese before the year 1840, their sufferings afterwards should illustrate how bad isolationism really was.

Always trade, haggle, and blackmail, otherwise you will get bullied by everyone else.
Old September 6, 2002, 16:42   #10
Wormwood
Warlord

Local Time: 23:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
At the very least offer to give your map to them every once in a while. More often than not, this can smooth over realtions a bit and bring them up to polite. The terms polite and furious are kind of off. It's more like "respectful/disrepectful of your nations financial/trading/military power".