Old September 6, 2002, 07:38   #1
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 07:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Oh this is priceless...
Sorry if this has been posted before, but...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0...786992,00.html

At the height of the summer, as talk of invading Iraq built in Washington like a dark, billowing storm, the US armed forces staged a rehearsal using over 13,000 troops, countless computers and $250m. Officially, America won and a rogue state was liberated from an evil dictator.
What really happened is quite another story, one that has set alarm bells ringing throughout America's defence establishment and raised questions over the US military's readiness for an Iraqi invasion. In fact, this war game was won by Saddam Hussein, or at least by the retired marine playing the Iraqi dictator's part, Lieutenant General Paul Van Riper.

In the first few days of the exercise, using surprise and unorthodox tactics, the wily 64-year-old Vietnam veteran sank most of the US expeditionary fleet in the Persian Gulf, bringing the US assault to a halt.

What happened next will be familiar to anyone who ever played soldiers in the playground. Faced with an abrupt and embarrassing end to the most expensive and sophisticated military exercise in US history, the Pentagon top brass simply pretended the whole thing had not happened. They ordered their dead troops back to life and "refloated" the sunken fleet. Then they instructed the enemy forces to look the other way as their marines performed amphibious landings. Eventually, Van Riper got so fed up with all this cheating that he refused to play any more. Instead, he sat on the sidelines making abrasive remarks until the three-week war game - grandiosely entitled Millennium Challenge - staggered to a star-spangled conclusion on August 15, with a US "victory". "

Hilarious... The rest of the article is even better.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old September 6, 2002, 07:46   #2
Tolls
King

It doesn't bode well...

Hopefully the Iraqi's aren't going to be as awkward as this bloke was, and play the game.
Old September 6, 2002, 07:50   #3
Clear Skies
Prince

The scary thing is that the US expects Iraq to be just as reliant on technology as they are - there was one point where the bloke was told that his microwave communications had been taken out and he'd have to use satellite mobile phones. He wanted to use motorbike messengers and distribute information via the mosques, but the US said Iraq wouldn't act like that.
Hm.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old September 6, 2002, 07:52   #4
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:34
Old September 6, 2002, 07:53   #5
David Floyd
Emperor

In WW2, when wargaming Midway, the Japanese overturned the umpire on how many and which carriers were sunk, and then even the ones the generals and admirals allowed to be sunk initially were refloated later for the rest of the campaign.
Old September 6, 2002, 07:54   #6
Clear Skies
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
In WW2, when wargaming Midway, the Japanese overturned the umpire on how many and which carriers were sunk, and then even the ones the generals and admirals allowed to be sunk initially were refloated later for the rest of the campaign.
Defensive :P Although it is all quite amusing I wonder if the Iraqis are planning to hire this bloke as a tactician...

Last edited by Clear Skies; September 6, 2002 at 08:05.
Old September 6, 2002, 08:10   #7
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:34
Isn't this a bit like cheating at solitaire
Old September 6, 2002, 08:14   #8
C0ckney
King

It does seem a bit pointless..

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old September 6, 2002, 08:22   #9
Tolls
King

The restarting I can understand...no point continuing when there's nothing left.
But it's the way he was being forced into a script that makes the whole exercise pointless.
Old September 6, 2002, 08:31   #10
Lincoln
King

"Pride goes before a fall." I don't think that anyone should assume that this will be a piece of cake. If he does have the weapons that he is alleged to have then we may be opening up a bucket of worms. Once the lid is off it can be very difficult putting them back in. The cocky, arrogant attitude of some may get a lot of people killed. There is more to warfare than technology.
Old September 6, 2002, 08:44   #11
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 02:34
i'm just waiting for one of the blind to call all y'all america-hatin' bastids.
Old September 6, 2002, 09:02   #12
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

y'all jist a bunch a anti-american bastids..
Old September 6, 2002, 10:14   #13
Q Classic
Emperor

thanks, jt.
Old September 6, 2002, 10:41   #14
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 10:34
hahaha this is what happened to us in army too. 'You were gassed' 'But I had my mask already on..' 'Doesn't matter, you're dead, don't worry, you're back alive soon' .

This was maybe a bit embarrasing, but it was very good for the US army. They now spotted some weak points etc. Happens to the best of us.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old September 6, 2002, 10:47   #15
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 01:34
I could see the point if they said " ok you got us-- lets restart"-- then the invaders could learn from their mistakes and try again . . . I thought that was the whole idea of a wargame, practice and learn.

But to blithely ignore the fact that the landing failed and then limit what the defender can do -- what is the point of the exercize ??
Old September 6, 2002, 12:04   #16
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 03:34
I'd take the Guardian with a grain of salt, but this is pretty funny. I love the idea of a crusty old marine kicking the hell out of the Pentagon's shiny new warplans.

"If it's being done right, anywhere in the world, it's NOT being done by the [U.S.] Army" - Good Morning, Vietnam

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 6, 2002, 12:58   #17
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Can you imagine if this were actually predictive? Anybody want to speculate on the political fallout if Bush presides over the worst naval debacle since Pearl Harbor? Priceless indeed; thanks for sharing it.
Old September 6, 2002, 12:59   #18
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

It seems like certain wargame planners play their Civ on Chieftain level. And still have to cheat.
Old September 6, 2002, 13:12   #19
David Floyd
Emperor

I'm gonna laugh if the US loses.
Old September 6, 2002, 13:22   #20
Adalbertus
Prince

If the US really want to attack Iraq, put Van Riper in charge of the operation. He seems to know what is going on. Otherwise, I'm sorry for your guys...
Old September 6, 2002, 14:45   #21
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

It's idiocy like this in the top brass that helped cause Vietnam to be such a fiasco. They were so sure that their military model was right, in spite of the evidence pouring in from the field.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 6, 2002, 15:39   #22
reds4ever
Prince

kinda like "you have lost connection to the player named Bush", just after you've built Mikes Chapel in Civ2 MP?
Old September 6, 2002, 16:11   #23
dunk
Prince

So our wargames are like Quake. Our soldiers respawn after being fragged.
Old September 6, 2002, 17:31   #24
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 00:34
Being a friend to men and women who will likely be over there should the time come, I find this frightening, actually.

Let's hope they can correct this...
Old September 6, 2002, 17:56   #25
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Hmmm... Maybe we should try taking Iraq by moving in South from Turkey instead....

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old September 6, 2002, 18:04   #26
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 04:34
Iraq can't defeat the US... most of their army won't even fight and will give up like in the Gulf war... it will probably be left to the republican guard... which is pretty weak.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old September 6, 2002, 18:22   #27
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

*bang bang bang*
"You're dead. I shot you"
"You missed, and I shot you back"
"I didn't hear you"
*bang bang bang*
"That's cheating! you can't shoot back, you're dead!"
"You missed."
"Did not. I'm the masked avenger, I never miss!"
"yeah, well you didn't even load your gun"
"did so"
"did not"
Old September 6, 2002, 19:18   #28
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
Hmmm... Maybe we should try taking Iraq by moving in South from Turkey instead....
That would require the cooperation of Turkey, which is rther reluctant to give it.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 6, 2002, 20:13   #29
David Floyd
Emperor

Maybe we shouldn't invade at all.
Old September 6, 2002, 20:21   #30
chequita guevara
Emperor

Althought that is my prefered option, I'm led to believe that isn't one of our choices.